MaestroUGC's Compositions *In Progress - Symphony No. 2 in D minor - Mvt. I-IV*

Started by MaestroUGC, June 23, 2009, 10:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

universe-X

Quote from: dahans on March 31, 2010, 01:56:38 AMHence I am not allowed to critisise it. I do not really think it's too repetitive, but on the whole it seems a tiny littly [little :P] bit too long.

dahans

xD thanks but that was just a typo. I know the word little^^. xD
however, well done Maestro!^^
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

MaestroUGC

While I can't play like Cziffra; I can give my own interpretation of this incredible piece.

Grand Galop Chromatique
Orchestrated by yours truly.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

dahans

I have already told you on MSN, sounds great!
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

universe-X

You release these a little late after you show us :P Is there any reason why?

Once again, it brings back memories.

MaestroUGC

Eh...I had to tweak a few things.

universe-X

MaestroUGC

Hmm, well I've written quite a bit, and arranged as well, and I'd like to think I've imporved, but I'll let the public decide.

Here is a Cello Concerto I finished back in December. Written for, and dedicated to a good friend of mine.

I. Allegro non tanto
II. Adagio semplice
III. Allegro con brio

More to come later, including:
The first part of a trilogy of symphonic dances
Some Nintendo orchestrations
An orchestration of a nearly impossible piano piece
A little ragtime
A batch of nocturnes
and an Arrangement of a popular piece by Bach.

MaestroUGC

Hmm, let's try something new.

Barbaric Dance No. 1, "Dance of the New Age"

This is the first of the symphonic dances, the other two being "Dance of Life" and "Dance of Death".

Enjoy.

MaestroUGC

About a year ago I found myself listening to a great amount of Scott Joplin. One day I said to myself, "That sounds like fun, I think I'll have a go at this ragtime music." And so I did. Here a four pieces in the ragtime, after the style pioneered by Joplin, one for each season:

Summer
Autumn
Winter
Spring

Enjoy.

Olimar12345

I too have been listening to alot of Joplin lately! Here's what I think, being completely honest: VERY BORING. All of your pieces had no key change at the trio, contributing to the problem of making them sound too long. At times there is more repetition of previous things than new ideas, which also makes things feel static. There aren't any really strong resolutions or nice cadences that separate section from section. A solution to these things would be to rework some of your voice leading. Also, I think you tend to over complicate things at times, when really ragtime pieces are rather simple.(less is more!)

As for tempo, Joplin would often write on his pieces "It is never right to play 'ragtime' fast." . I think that your Spring rag would be much better at a slightly slower tempo. On the other hand, I think your winter rag is too slow to be that long. Personaly, I like the tempo, so I would consider just cutting the piece in half.

Your left hand parts are pretty good as they are, but you can add more if you want. You can do more than just "root-chord-5th-chord" and "root-chord-chord-5th". Who's to say that the bass won't get the melody for a bar or two? Just sayin'. Oh, and before I forget, that last chord in the left hand of the autumn piece(which's title is easilly confused for a jazz standard)sounds really muddy down there-Chords below F2 don't sound that good on the piano, imo.

hope this helps!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

Thank you. This was my first atttempt at writing ragtime, so I know there are a couple of things wrong with them. Yes, the trios lack a key change, this was due to my own oversight of an obvious trait. The complication thing, well that's just how I work. I typically write orchestral music, so working for smaller forces tends to result in moments like these.

I picked those tempos because they fit the pieces in question. Yes, Joplin said never play ragtime fast, but I'm not looking to totally cop his style. The Spring Rag I treated with a more Stride piano feel, since Stride evolved from ragtime, I thouigh it would be fitting that the last in the set reflect the transformation of the style. Winter was my nod to Joplin's "Bethena Waltz", a slow ballad that I think is his best piece. If it drags on, you can cut the repeats and it'll still work fine, as with all of the others.

The left hand chord thing, eh. That last chord of autumn I think is fine, I like it with those low resonating chords on the piano, always have. Just my personal style. Thanks again.

MaestroUGC

Hot of the press (by press I means I just put it on YouTube), I give you:

Apollo
"Bringer of the Sun"

YouTube
MUS

This is a symphonic poem that chronicles the journey Apollo takes as he carries the Sun across the sky, and its effects on the Earth below. Each phase is signaled by the chiming bells, marking the time.

I. Dawn - It opens with the break of twilight, the light flickering across the sky. Apollo's arrival is signaled and the sun begins to rise with an exclamation as the world begins to stir.
II. Morning - The world is alive and moving, the orchestra plays a pastoral theme, with the horns singing out in praise of Apollo.
III. Noon - The Sun takes its place at the top of the sky, and the Earth below feels its brutal heat.
IV. Afternoon - The Sun makes its down from its peak, and the children are outside at play. Marked by the winds and a light nature, the orchestra relates this brief scherzando with a climax as the Apollo begins to make his leave.
V. Sunset - The Sun begins to set, with a reprise of the sunrise, the orchestra majestically bids Apollo a farewell as the light begins to leave the sky.
VI. Night - The Earth lies calm as the people settle in their home for the night. A simple motif acts as a psuedo-lullaby that lulls the Earth into its slumber.
VII. Dusk - The Earth is cast in its darkness, the Night is full, and a final tension is released with the Moon taking its peak.

Criticism is welcomed, this was written over the course of four nights, not consecutively.

Yes, the title is a nod to Holst.

pumpy_heart

Nice piece. This piece seems to be very melodic driven. Most of the other parts sound like accompaniment. Did you mean for this to be the design? The few contrapuntal moments do draw ones ear because of their scarcity, which has a nice effect in itself.

MaestroUGC

For the most part this was written as if it was background music, incidental music. I approached this in the same manner I appraoched another symphonic poem of mine (which will not be seen for some time, if ever, here) which was story based. I've gotten to the point in which I will only employ whatever I need to make the music work, which only took about four years to realize. Better late than never.