News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Time signature question on Finale

Started by Pyre, August 02, 2009, 09:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyre

I've read through the instruction book and everything, and can't find how to do this... I want to make a 12/8 measure, with a 4/4 feel. (So it would count 1,2,3+4,5,6+7,8,9+10,11,12)

Allegro just seems to want to count the eight notes as quarter notes,, when I want the dotted-quarter to count as the quarter.

And all of the eighth notes are beamed separately, and I can't find that, either.... Anyone know how to fix this?

Composer #40

Use the 'Time Signature' tool and select that measure. Alter 'beat duration' untill you find what you are looking for. I clicked left once from 4/4 time and found what I think you're looking for.

It happens Every. Day!

Pyre

Quote from: Composer #40 on August 02, 2009, 11:33:37 AMUse the 'Time Signature' tool and select that measure. Alter 'beat duration' untill you find what you are looking for. I clicked left once from 4/4 time and found what I think you're looking for.

Actually, it was to the right, but I still found it. I feel kinda stupid now.  :P

Thanks!

EDIT: The time signature works, but finale still plays it way too slowly! The beat is completely different for no reason. It's not counting eighth notes or anything, just playing it slower.... Ugh... I'll look at it later tonight...

Composer #40

When you change the time from quarter note = 1 beat to dotted quarter note = 1 beat the tempo follows suit. Make a tempo expression by having a dotted quarter note equal the tempo for that section. How long is the 12/8 section?

It happens Every. Day!

Pyre

Quote from: Composer #40 on August 02, 2009, 07:24:28 PMWhen you change the time from quarter note = 1 beat to dotted quarter note = 1 beat the tempo follows suit. Make a tempo expression by having a dotted quarter note equal the tempo for that section. How long is the 12/8 section?

The section isn't too long. I haven't finished it yet, so I don't know for sure.

And where exactly do I change the beat duration?

Composer #40

Expression Tool -> Tempo Marks -> Select/Create a tempo and click edit -> Click on the tempo tab -> uncheck "Match playback tempo to metronome marking text" -> Type in the tempo for the quarter note -> click the drop-down menu and find "Dotted quarter note".

It's essential to keep the tempo the same number value or it won't work. Put it on the the 12/8 measure and there shouldn't be a change in speed.
There's also a shortcut that I've found where you can make a tempo expression to signify the change in time; "(quarter note = dotted quarter note)". Vise-versa also holds true but you have to set the tempo for these expressions.

It happens Every. Day!

Pyre

Quote from: Composer #40 on August 03, 2009, 08:16:36 AMExpression Tool -> Tempo Marks -> Select/Create a tempo and click edit -> Click on the tempo tab -> uncheck "Match playback tempo to metronome marking text" -> Type in the tempo for the quarter note -> click the drop-down menu and find "Dotted quarter note".

It's essential to keep the tempo the same number value or it won't work. Put it on the the 12/8 measure and there shouldn't be a change in speed.
There's also a shortcut that I've found where you can make a tempo expression to signify the change in time; "(quarter note = dotted quarter note)". Vise-versa also holds true but you have to set the tempo for these expressions.

Alright, thanks a lot! I'll try it out now!

megaman64

yeah on the top part of the toolbar, where you can set the tempo. choose the bpm to equal the dotted-quarter. it takes out any confusion (try counting quartets in a triplet feel! lol)