Let's Do This: Nintendude73-style [July 12 Update is up!]

Started by Nintendude73, July 07, 2009, 02:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Composer #40

Submissions:

[PSX] Final Fantasy VIII - "The Legendary Beast" - Commander6 (midi)

[Wii] Super Paper Mario - "Champion of Destruction" - Commander6 (midi)

From the Desk of Nintendude73: Fantastic, unrivaled work as always.  I don't know how you do it.  Both accepted, of course.  And you even formatted correctly.

It happens Every. Day!

Brassman388

Submission

[NGC] Kirby Airride-"Checker Knights"-Brassman388
     Mus.....http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?h4zywmdgdhi
     Midi.....http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yhlzynlznow

[SNES] Super Metroid-"Ridley"-Brassman388
     Mus.....http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?md4zdn004do
     Midi.....http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dyhjmhzmw0o
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

From the Desk of Nintendude73: Umm... Wow!  Great job on these!  I can't exactly recall what our policy is on duets, but I think it's that we only accept them if they are exceptionally good.  So I'm accepting this one.  And Ridley was great.  I had to find something to complain about though, and that's that you put Metroid III instead of Super Metroid (since that's the heading it will be under on the site.  I know it's the 3rd Metroid, but we must follow protocol, see?).  I fixed it though.  I hope you've got lots more for the weeks to come.  Nice nice nice job.

Brass: Thanks alot! I know the policy very well, I went though the ringer when I first joined, haha. I'll be sure to put "Super Metroid" from now on. Thanks again.

Nintendude73: Just editing so I have the last word (I check posts based on who it was last edited by, SO DON'T REPLY! :P )

Pyre

Submission:

[GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - "Gentle Prince Medley, including Lyon (Organ arrangement), Lyon, Lost Heart, and The Prince's Despair." --Pyre

MUS MID

From the Desk of Nintendude73:  While this is a very, very nice arrangement, there are a few problems I have with it.  One is that you rely WAY too heavily on the 2nd layer.  Some parts are identical in rhythm on both layers and would look much nicer as a chord, and there are many many places where you could merge the two layers with a little creative rearranging.  Also, measure 125 needs either an 8va, or better yet, move the higher notes into the treble staff.  Like I said, this is a very nice-sounding arrangement, but it needs a little tweaking before it looks as nice as it sounds.  Right now it's a little too messy to accept.

Pyre: I can fix measure 125, and I think there are others like it I'll look at.
As for the layering, even though I've had Allegro for like 2 years, I'm still learning it. I really dislike how the layering works (Leaving all those rests and stuff in there), but I don't know how to layer without using the second layer, if that's what you mean...
I'll look at it and try to clean it up.

Pyre:EDIT!Should be better now. I didn't realize how much I actually used that second layer until you said that. Thanks! I think that'll help any future arrangements/compositions I will do.

Nintendude73:  Much, MUCH better.  I tweaked a couple more things (mostly just moving some 2nd layer rests up/down to get them out of the way of actual notes), but it's now accepted!  Nice job.

4-D

Chrono Trigger - "Silent Light" MUS | MID
The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past - "Dungeon (Light World)" MUS | MID

btw, i love this way of submissions!  ;D

From the Desk of Nintendude73: These both sound great and are perfectly formatted, but there are some issues with layers.  Silent Light makes use of layers in a lot of places where it's not necessary.  As pretty as the different colored notes are, it looks nicer if the 1st layer is the only one used when necessary. (Examples: measure 10, 13-14).  Dungeon (Light World) also sounds great, but there are some things you could do to make it look better.  Specifically, there's no need to use a 2nd layer and crowd all of the notes onto one staff when you have a staff with nothing but rests right above it that can be changed to bass clef if needed.  Measures 1-26 (with the exception of measure 17) could all be changed to look better and be easier on the player's eyes (it's much easier to read between two staffs than to read a bunch of notes crammed together).

Like I said, these sound great and seem very accurate, but some cosmetic work is needed.

4-D: Silent Light fixed (I don't know why I didn't catch that). Dungeon fixed as well, though I only have Notepad, so I can't change the clefs, you'll have to do that for me. I'm not sure i agree with splitting the clefs, because only the left hand is supposed to play from 19-26 (same as when the melody comes in), so it doesn't make sense to me to split the left hand part between two clefs. But the changes have been made, as requested. Again, you'll have to change the upper clef to bass for me on measures 19-26, cuz i can't!  :-[

Nintendude73:  Nice job, both accepted. :)

Nana1Popo2

[GBA] Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire - "Pokemon Contest" - Nana1Popo2
MUS MID

From the Desk of Nintendude73: Submitting right down to the wire!

Accepted.  Just next time make sure that the copyright year is the year the game was published not the year you submitted it. :P
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

QWERTYkid911

Submissions

[NDS] Pokémon Diamond & Pearl - "Battle! Elite Four" - QWERTYkid911 - MUS|MID  For Replacement
[NGB] Pokémon Gold & Silver      - "Bicycle Theme"    - QWERTYkid911 - MUS|MID

From the Desk of Nintendude73: Both accepted.  Nice work.  Your Elite Four Battle arrangement is much better than the one on the site.  You left quotes off the title of Bicycle Theme, but obviously I'll fix something like that when it's the only problem. :P

Nintendude73

This week's update is now CLOSED for submissions.  Any posts after this will be disregarded.  I'll continue to check the posts before this.  The update should go up tomorrow barring any unforeseen happenstances.