News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

What are you playing right now?

Started by ALPRAS, July 14, 2009, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yugi

I found it interesting that something that is called "one of the greatest games of all time" got negitive reviews at first.

fabbemannen

To be fair, I've never been a fan of the dungeons in the Earthbound-games (haven't tried Mother 3 yet though). The rest is great, just not the dungeons.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Yugi on December 11, 2013, 03:11:03 PMI found it interesting that something that is called "one of the greatest games of all time" got negitive reviews at first.
The same thing sometimes applies to literary classics and movies (Moby-Dick being a notable example).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

blueflower999

Quote from: Yugi on December 11, 2013, 03:08:05 PMFun Fact: In 1994, a JRPG for the SNES was released, it got negitive reviews, mostly for it's tedious dungeon crawling and utterly horrid battle system.

This game was Earthbound, a game that is now virtually immune to criticism, and is regarded as one of the greatest RPG's of all time.
1. It was 1995 on the SNES, 1994 was its Japanese release date on the Super Famicom.
2. It wasn't critiqued as much for the battle system as it was for its weird sense of humor and the fact that America wasn't used to RPGs at the time.
3. There isn't much tedious dungeon crawling and the battle system is anything but horrid.

Yeah all you guys knew I was going to do this huh.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

If ace attorney has taught me anything, it's that lawyers are awesome it's important to argue the things you believe in so I support this exchange
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FierceDeity

Quote from: blueflower999 on December 11, 2013, 04:05:46 PM3. There isn't much tedious dungeon crawling and the battle system is anything but horrid.

^^ This. I love the battle system in EarthBound. The scrolling health bar is a great way of encouraging quick action in dire situations, while still maintaining turn-based combat. It may not be ordinary, but it's genius. And yeah, the dungeons are generally pretty short, and pretty interesting.

KefkaticFanatic

Standard definition of "cult-classic" is what I'm guessing he's going at.

me irl
[close]

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Yugi on December 11, 2013, 09:36:24 PMexample plz
ಠ_ಠ

If you seriously must know an example, It's a Wonderful Life is now considered a Christmas classic, but wasn't so at the time of its release. In a similar vein, A Christmas Story only had moderate success at the time of its release.
According to Rotten Tomatoes, Blade Runner was "Misunderstood when it first hit theaters."

Though, I think these films would constitute more as "underappreciated" rather than completely negative.

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on December 11, 2013, 10:22:50 PMStandard definition of "cult-classic" is what I'm guessing he's going at.
I suppose you could consider that too.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Waddle Bro

A thing is considered as a classic if it's respected much time after it's release.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Waddle Bro on December 12, 2013, 04:34:17 AMA thing is considered as a classic if it's respected much time after it's release.
You don't s...

Some classics are respected even at the time of release; I was just providing some example of ones that weren't.

Back on the main topic, though (so that we don't derail this topic too much):
I predict my time playing video games will be divided between LittleBigPlanet 2, Minecraft Xbox 360 (Superflat worlds are great :D), and Shining Force 2.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Waddle Bro

Bought RUSH from Wii U eShop for two bucks, and it's worth the low launch sale price.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Zunawe

You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Olimar12345

I've been playing the shit outta pokemon x lately.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!