Previous topic - Next topic

FierceDeity

I still think obesity is the most first world problem, tbh

Dude

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=First+World+Problems

gj fierce

edit: wait was that sarcasm the i was capitalized and i couldn't tell fuck

FierceDeity

No, I was serious XD although I do understand the term.

Just imagine, though: Tell a starving third worlder that somebody, who's lived their entire life in the comfort of a first world country, is upset about one of their multiple similar entertainment devices breaking, and they might think "Well, that's definitely a small problem compared to my own, but it's still a problem brought about by forces outside of their control" (okay, they probably wouldn't think that; more like "WHY DID YOU TRAVEL HERE TO TELL ME THIS, AND NOT EVEN GIVE ME ANY FOOD"). But try telling them that nearly a third of the US (and that's just the obese, not all those overweight) is physically ailed (and goddamn indignant about it) because their lifestyle involves too much eating and not enough physical labor.

What I meant is, obesity is the very definition of a "first world problem", haha. Body types may vary, but not many body types can defy science. You'll see people say "I just don't lose weight!", and you'll see tons of stories about people being "judged" by their doctors despite their doing "everything they're told". As if patients know better than doctors how their bodies work. I mean, seriously, it's a completely preventable problem that's neither caused by entropy nor random chance! I'm not saying that all overweight people should be ashamed, or that they're horrible people for wishing they were thinner but not doing enough to change it. I'm just saying that it's a problem marked by significantly better conditions than are found around the world, with insufficient effort to do much about it. And that's what makes it such a first world problem.
/endrant

Oh god why did I even type this
...I don't hate fat people, I swear. I've just seen one "My doctor just doesn't understand that I don't lose weight!" facebook post too many

Kman96

I thought it was a very well-written post, Fierce.
Party Hard!
[close]

Ruto

There are people who seem to be fat without eating excessively xD Or maybe they just forget to mention the extra steak they've had...combined with how your metabolism slows down when you're older.

Anyway, I would think that a lot of people could lose weight if they eat a lot less meat. But then again, I know someone who's been a vegetarian long enough to have iron deficiency problems and she's chubby. It's also annoying when people assume you don't exercise if you don't go to the gym. Of course, not eating that hamburger several times a week and realizing that plate of spaghetti I ordered is actually 5 servings instead of 1 from that Italian restaurant helps keep the weight off just as much ._.

(Ha, I only made a small dent in that spaghetti I ordered in the restaurant. Then I decided to eat it for lunch the next day. I have a bowl that I use for the microwave that's a specific size and it turns out I was able to eat from the same takeout container 4 more times -.-)

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

SuperFireKirby

Well there's a big difference between chubby and obese. But yeah, some people.just are heavier set because of genes and shit, not because of diet or exercise habits.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

KefkaticFanatic

It's also noteworthy that in many other (first world) countries, the definition of 'fat' is basically a little puffier than what's 'average' here.

I haven't done the research so I can't give an informed answer, but I would imagine given the quality of much of the food in our market, combined with the major income disparity issue (people will buy cheap food, which is usually shit), the vast majority of the obesity problem is self-induced.

It's not just because people are poor of course, there are the fat fucks who will just eat and not care that they're costing everybody else a shitton of money having to pay for their constant medical needs..

me irl
[close]

FierceDeity

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on June 26, 2014, 07:31:50 PMIt's also noteworthy that in many other (first world) countries, the definition of 'fat' is basically a little puffier than what's 'average' here.

True, I guess it's more of an American (also Greek) problem than it is a first world problem.

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on June 26, 2014, 07:31:50 PMcombined with the major income disparity issue (people will buy cheap food, which is usually shit)

Mehhh. I mean, yeah, a lot of cheaper foods have a higher ratio of fat and carbs to protein, and I'm sure that doesn't help, but there are still healthier options in that price range, and lifestyle choices that can be made outside of that. After all, it is diet and exercise, and exercise will help to eliminate the excess carbs and fat. Healthier food is still, obviously, way better for you, regardless of how much you exercise (it's not like weight is the only measure of health), but a lot of the differences between price ranges are pretty minute in comparison to other things that could be done. (Also note that a lot of food that's more expensive and claims to be "healthier" is inaccurate; there have been very few health benefits shown from eating, say, organic produce over non-organic).

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on June 26, 2014, 07:16:25 PMWell there's a big difference between chubby and obese. But yeah, some people.just are heavier set because of genes and shit, not because of diet or exercise habits.

While this is true, I hate seeing it as an argument justifying being unhealthily overweight. The amount of people with genes fitting that justification is pretty negligible, and sure as hell isn't as large as a third of our population. It would take a pretty ridiculous amount of genetic intervention to make one's body defy the laws of science. If somebody claims to ingest less calories (also better calories), and burn more of them, over an extended period of time, yet lose no weight, and no body fat, then I'm pretty sure they're either A: lying (or ignorant about the effects of certain decisions), or B: passionately hated by whatever beings have control over our universe.

Quote from: Ruto on June 26, 2014, 11:32:35 AMAnyway, I would think that a lot of people could lose weight if they eat a lot less meat. But then again, I know someone who's been a vegetarian long enough to have iron deficiency problems and she's chubby.

Not all meat is bad, though! It's only bad when people eat an excess of beef, pork, and dark poultry meat. White poultry meat and fish are SUPER GOOD FOR YOU (assuming that, you know, it's not fried, or anything).

And as for your vegetarian friend, it's seriously a myth that vegetarianism is automatically healthier. If a vegetarian eats the right things, they can be just as healthy as somebody who eats meat in a responsible manner, but it's definitely not superior. And one of the main problems occurs when vegetarians don't make enough dietary changes to supplement the iron they're no longer getting from meat. People like your friend become anemic USUALLY because they don't eat enough nuts. And then, often times, when people try to make meat "replacements", like fake hot dogs and the like, they'll include tofu, which is considerably high in fat. Top this all off with the aforementioned anemia and its associated drop in energy, and you're much less likely to be driven in exercise, so it's not uncommon for vegetarians to stay overweight. But really, if you're anemic, being overweight (unless you're morbidly obese) is the least of your problems.

mikey

Wow Fierce you really have an opinion on this
unmotivated

FierceDeity

I feel like there are a lot of times when that statement is accurate.

spitllama

I'm always surprised by how fat shaming occurs but skinny shaming doesn't. The people who have ridiculously fast metabolisms and look like skin and bone look way less attractive than chubby people, imo.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

FierceDeity

I'm not talking about attraction haha, I'm talking about health. And people with ridiculously fast metabolisms are generally much healthier than obese people XD

...though I'm probably biased, being one of those with ridiculously fast metabolism

Bubbles

I guess because unhealthy obeseness is more self caused than fast metabolisms? I agree that anorexic skinny people aren't nice looking, but I think it's because they aren't healthy looking. Same thing with being overweight - it just doesn't look healthy. Unless you're one of the extremes and it's affecting your daily life, you shouldn't cry or care about your weight. ~30 pounds over/under the "ideal" weight is perfectly fine

mikey

unmotivated

spitllama

Attraction was the wrong word. Health. Real skinny looks gross, which is unhealthy and unattractive.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012