The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blah54

greek is right, sin(2pi) is 0... just think about a standard sine curve, it hits the x axis twice in one full period (well technically three in one period), at 0, pi and 2pi, and since the sine curve continues the same way, at 4pi, it would also equal zero...

It's on a need-to-know basis that you don't need to know.

GreekGeek

If you draw a circle with parametric:
x = cos(T)
y = sin(T)
You'll get a circle movement. If you divide the circle into 4 equal pieces and name the point (1,0) 0, you go round a quarter of a circle against the clock (I mean not-clockwise ::))(which makes 0,5pi), the sin is max, which equals 1. And when you add another quarter, you get at the point of 1pi, where sin is min, which equals 0. So every time you get
0 + k x pi, the sin equals 0, the cos equals 1, and everytime you get 0,5 + k x pi, the sin equals 1 and the cos equals 0. The way blah54 does it, might even be better, but that's personal.

Man, don't we all love math ::)

Jamaha

I'm well aware that sin is 0 for all values of npi, where n is an integer.

What interests me is why does the calculator give an answer, which is really close to zero, but not quite, for most values of sin(npi). However, there are certain values which do return zero.

In fact, when running the program through 0 ..... 10000, only the following numbers of n return zero:
0 1 2 3 5 10 15 20 25 30 50 100 150 200 250 300 500 1000 1500 2000 2500 3000 5000 10000

random_goldfish

Math! Run away! Ahhhhhhhh!
I really, really, really hate math. I'd probably be good at it if my head didn't explode everytime I think about it.
Mairéad Murphy-Irish extraornaire fiddles on the roof and where ever she damn well pleases. ^_^

Brassman388

Hey Jamaha, how the uploader script coming along?

Jamaha

Shit.

I went to check the uploader files. Open the script and....the hell? Why is this the first revision with no purpose whatsoever? Where is all the work I put into it?

Searched for upload.php's in my computer, only found that one file. Then it hit me.

About a month ago, when my computer became a bitch and I switched OSes, I backuped everything necessary. Or so I thought. I copied over the NSM directory, containing all NSM's files. But now for the best part...guess who forgot that he copied the files over to another directory for testing purposes and continued editing the code there. Now did I remember to copy the testing directory as well, did I?

Long story short, all that's left of the uploader is like 10 lines of code a blind monkey could write with its hands cut off. Uploader status: 0%.

God damn this.

Brassman388

It's all good, as long as we plan to make progress again. right?

Jamaha

Yes, I'll recreate it once my exams end.

But still...damn.

GreekGeek

Quote from: JaMaHa on March 16, 2009, 08:36:22 AMI'm well aware that sin is 0 for all values of npi, where n is an integer.

What interests me is why does the calculator give an answer, which is really close to zero, but not quite, for most values of sin(npi). However, there are certain values which do return zero.

In fact, when running the program through 0 ..... 10000, only the following numbers of n return zero:
0 1 2 3 5 10 15 20 25 30 50 100 150 200 250 300 500 1000 1500 2000 2500 3000 5000 10000
That's really too hard, I'm sorry. I'm not that good at math.

ALPRAS

Brassman388

ALPRAS

Its another thing that I like in music: we dont need the maths class xD

KefkaticFanatic

You haven't delt much with music then, study it more and you'll realise that much of it IS math.

me irl
[close]

Brassman388

Don't say that or he'll give up music too. XD

GreekGeek

Of course he won't, music is an addiction. But music is all math. Went to a masterclass, which was about the math of music. Very interesting, but SOO difficult. The base of it: easy (x(t) = A cos(2 π f t + φ)), but then it gets so complicated. And if you understand the math, your possibilities of editing music are really increased. I'm surprised how you can not have math :o You are still in high school aren't you? Here it's obligatory to have math as a subject for your final. Complete rubbish (since I hate math too), but it's quite awkward to emigrate temporarily ;D