News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mashi

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 22, 2016, 10:34:55 PMHad a physics test today, was briefly confused by a question asking how much work needed to be done to lift an object from the surface of a planet to a distance infinitely far away.
Since you only started electricity, I'm guessing the question you answered likely related to only gravitational energy.  In which case, the answer would just be GMm/R; G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, m is the mass of the object, and R is the radius of the planet.  To find the difference in potential energy between two points (i.e. which for the question will tell us the magnitude of work that must be done to bring something from point A to point B), you have to take some sort of reference point (in this case, I chose the center of the planet), find the distances R_A and R_B of points A and B to the reference point, and then plug into GMm/R_A - GMm/R_B.  For your question, R_A = R = Radius of Planet and R_B = Infinity, so that you get GMm/R - GMm/infinity = GMm/R - 0 = GMm/R

Hope you managed to get it right - I wasn't sure based on the wording of your post, but just to be safe!

Nitro Indigo

I was looking through MarioWiki and I found this:

...Which actually looks pretty cool.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Nebbles

It's like 95 degrees out but I wanna go hit Pokestops, because I ran out of Pokeballs...
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

braix

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on July 24, 2016, 03:44:09 AMI was looking through MarioWiki and I found this:
[img]
...Which actually looks pretty cool.
oh hey that's the korean version of partners in time
that was a good game
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

AwesomeYears

Oh yeah, we have 2000 members now! Another milestone achieved!

Sebastian

About 20-30 active members and 1970 "members."

E. Gadd Industries

XD jeez! 3K sheets and 2K members... QUICK!!! SOMEONE MAKE ANOTHER MILESTONE DEALING WITH 1000 OF SOMETHING!!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: braixen1264 on July 24, 2016, 02:24:32 PMoh hey that's the korean version of partners in time
that was a good game

IKR I love that game it was the first video game where I got into the story and started laughing at the characters
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nitro Indigo

I've seen some people call Partners in Time the darkest Mario game. I've never played it and can't get into any let's plays, so can someone please explain?

I also kind of wonder what Korean boxarts are normally like. American Kirby is Hardcore, after all, but for a long time South Korea had a trade embargo with Japan.

On an unrelated note, here's something I've wanted to say for a while: Namco should start selling Pac-man caps in real life. Actually, maybe not, because anything Klonoa-related being profitable would be so oxymoronic that the universe would collapse in on itself.
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

SlowPokemon

It's actually kind of hilariously dark, some highlights of the game include:

Spoiler
1. The premise of the game can be boiled down to "creepy alien mushrooms invade the Mushroom Kingdom of the past, so Mario and Luigi must team up with their younger selves to save everyone."
2. Said aliens actually KO the ADULT Mario and Luigi in an unwinnable fight early on the game.
3. The image of a Toad, his "vim" (implied to be a Toad's life force or soul) having been sucked out, turning into a tree, followed by the sudden realization that all of the trees in the forest have lifeless Toads imprisoned inside.
4. Princess Peach being kidnapped by Princess Shroob, and upon being rescued, having a giant purple fungus covering her face.
5. Said Princess turns out to be Princess Shroob in disguise, and she rips the fungus off her face in a truly nightmarish sequence.
6. In a climactic sequence where a gate needs to let all four of the Marios and Luigis through, the gate deems the adult Luigi a coward and a crybaby, upon which Luigi literally has a mental breakdown and the gate jeers at him.
7. How about the scene where you defeat Princess Shroob and the ELDER Princess Shroob appears as a true final boss, complete with terrifying transformations and way too many tentacles?
8. Not to mention that for a Mario game, the music is REALLY dark and creepy at a lot of points and the character designs are just kind of grotesque.
9. Let's not forget that when you finally get to Toad Town, the city is completely wrecked, alien monsters lurking everywhere and surviving Toads hiding inside their crumbling houses.
10. In that vein, the questionably-named Hollijolli Village is similarly destroyed when the player gets there, only the mayor still left (and he gets abducted when you arrive). Combine that with the haunting version of "Jingle Bells" that plays there, complete with sad accordion, and you've got an unsettling scene for a franchise like Mario.
11. Seriously, if you need to know why this game is so creepy, just watch the credits, which feature uncomfortably creepy images of scenes from the game accompanied by an unsettling Russian-esque waltz: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUT266EWlE

Shoutout to the images at 0:22, 1:44, 1:52, and 2:02. Thanks for the nightmares, Nintendo.
[close]

All joking aside, all of the dark humor (and just plain dark) are the reasons this game is so amazing. It's one of my favorites.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nitro Indigo

Should I get it, then? It's on Wii U Virtual Console, but I'm saving up for Klonoa right now.

I'm also watching Nintendo Life's latest video, and I'm worried that a comment where I joked that Klonoa Beach Volleyball was the most important Nintendo game is in it.

On an unrelated note, there was a rainbow outside earlier, and it looked really nice.

InsigTurtle

Quote from: Mashi on July 23, 2016, 11:23:53 AMHope you managed to get it right - I wasn't sure based on the wording of your post, but just to be safe!

Yup, I did that, I was just unsure of the step where you divide something by infinity, since I didn't think it was proper. We didn't go over this in class, either, since we're squeezing a course that usually takes an entire school year into 5 weeks.

I assume that if I get a question asking how much work would need to be done to move a positive point charge an infinite distance away from a negative point charge, that I do the same thing, but with the kQq/r formula?

Mashi

Yes, that's exactly correct, InsigTurtle!