News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Zunawe on November 30, 2017, 03:23:18 PMquote of earlier article

Except a) that still proves that point and b) that point applies in the US too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_crime#In_the_United_States

From Wikipedia's "Sex Differences in Crime" article
In the United States, men are much more likely to be incarcerated than women. More than 9 times as many men (5,037,000) as women (581,000) had ever at one time been incarcerated in a State or Federal prison at year end 2001.[40]
In 2014, more than 73% of those arrested in the US were males.[41] Men accounted for 80.4 percent of persons arrested for violent crime and 62.9 percent of those arrested for property crime.[41] In 2011, the United States Department of Justice compiled homicide statistics in the United States between 1980 and 2008.[42] That study showed the following:
Males were convicted of the vast majority of homicides in the United States, representing 90.5% of the total number of offenders.[42]
Young adult black males had the highest homicide conviction rate compared to offenders in other racial and sex categories.[42]
White females of all ages had the lowest conviction rates of any racial or age groups.[42]
Of children under age 5 killed by a parent, the rate for biological father conviction was slightly higher than for biological mothers.[42]
However, of children under 5 killed by someone other than their parent, 80% of the people that were convicted were males.[42]
Victimization rates for both males and females have been relatively stable since 2000.[42]
Males were more likely to be murder victims (76.8%).[42]
Females were most likely to be victims of domestic homicides (63.7%) and sex-related homicides (81.7%)[42]
Males were most likely to be victims of drug-related (90.5%) and gang-related homicides (94.6%).[42]
2011 arrest data from the FBI:[43]
Males constituted 98.9% of those arrested for forcible rape[43]
Males constituted 87.9% of those arrested for robbery[43]
Males constituted 85.0% of those arrested for burglary[43]
Males constituted 83.0% of those arrested for arson.[43]
Males constituted 81.7% of those arrested for vandalism.[43]
Males constituted 81.5% of those arrested for motor-vehicle theft.[43]
Males constituted 79.7% of those arrested for offenses against family and children.[43]
Males constituted 77.8% of those arrested for aggravated assault[43]
Males constituted 58.7% of those arrested for fraud.[43]
Males constituted 57.3% of those arrested for larceny-theft.[43]
Males constituted 51.3% of those arrested for embezzlement.[43]
From 2003 to 2012, there was a decrease in the rate of crime overall, but an increase in crimes committed by women.[44] There was an increase in arrest rate for women of 2.9% but a decrease in arrest rate for men of 12.7%.[44] This demonstrates an increase in arrests for women which only slightly offsets the decrease in arrest for men resulting in a decrease overall in arrest rate in the United States. Notably, arrests rates for women had a sizable increase in the following crimes: robbery (+20.2%), larceny-theft (+29.6%), and arson – property crime (+24.7%).[44] The trend results from 2003-2012 showed the vast majority of crimes were still committed by men with around 88% of homicides and 75% of all legal felonies.[44] According to government statistics from the US Department of Justice, male perpetrators constituted 96% of federal prosecution on domestic violence.[45] Another report by the US department of Justice on non-fatal domestic violence from 2003-2012 found that 76 percent of domestic violence was committed against women and 24 percent were committed against men.[46]
[close]
what is shitpost

Zunawe

I wasn't arguing anything. You just misrepresented the information you linked to.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Tobbeh99

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on November 30, 2017, 08:31:05 PMBleh, last weekend three a wrench in my sleep schedule, and I still haven't recovered. So I've been in a kind of survival mode this past week. Hopefully over this weekend I can recalibrate and get some sleep

Ouch! having bad sleep sucks. Last week, when I was completing the Dota 2 challenge, I had hard time sleeping because of stress/excitement. Trying to cool down from here and on. Hope you'll recover as well :).

On the topics of crime. I'm pretty sure that men commit more crimes. But I could also see men being more serious about justice issues also (don't know about these 2 however). I could see however how women could be more likely to help, in the background, with crimes, than men. Like in the terrorist group IS, most fighters were men, but there were many women supporting the fighters and working for the terrorist group "in the background". It's sort of an extreme case, but maybe says something about it. Also, sorry for trying to make it "black and white" and generalizing, but I'm trying to encapsulate the big general picture of it, and the patterns. I've also seen some social study by Steven Pinker, who talked about men being more likely to be geniuses, but also more likely to be idiots; in contrast to women, who are more in the middle, less extreme. Also I don't fully agree on it. Because you could broadly try to argue that, that there is Einstein and there is Hitler. And for women it's like Curie and... [some evil queen]. But that could be because of society and norms. And if you look in everyday life, you can find smart and dumb, and good and evil people with both genders.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

InsigTurtle

There's a problem when you try to fit people into preconceived categories. In the social sciences especially, there's always some matter of interpretation. As well, people are... complicated. By grouping them, you lose the nuances of each person and you may start to lose the fact that people are different. You also have societal and historical factors which will quickly complicate every issue.

That's why I'm doing natural sciences and not social sciences, because in comparison to understanding human nature, finding solutions to the Schrödinger equation isn't too bad.

mastersuperfan

I'm having a hard time associating the user above me with the post they just made
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

swimswamit

Anyone got any college essay tips? Things that worked for you or things to stay away from? Applying to an ivy-league so it's an uphill battle.

Zunawe

Be genuine. If you're not actually invested in what you're writing about, the person reading it will know. They read essays for a living.

Make sure it's about you; not what you know how to say. While it's important to leave an impression of being a good writer, you're not quite being evaluated on the quality of your writing. The point of these papers is for admissions officers to get a sense of who you are. This is the only thing they see from you that isn't a number or a factual statement about what you've done. Use it to tell them who you are beyond the things you've done.

And do a little research and tailor the essay to the school you're applying to. Even if it's obvious (because they'll definitely recognize pandering), it still shows that you're invested and interested enough to do research. Just remember, it's not the point. It just helps show that you're not just copying and pasting the same essay.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

InsigTurtle

Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 02, 2017, 07:31:27 AMI'm having a hard time associating the user above me with the post they just made

bep

swimswamit

Quote from: Zunawe on December 02, 2017, 05:22:47 PMBe genuine. If you're not actually invested in what you're writing about, the person reading it will know. They read essays for a living.

Make sure it's about you; not what you know how to say. While it's important to leave an impression of being a good writer, you're not quite being evaluated on the quality of your writing. The point of these papers is for admissions officers to get a sense of who you are. This is the only thing they see from you that isn't a number or a factual statement about what you've done. Use it to tell them who you are beyond the things you've done.

And do a little research and tailor the essay to the school you're applying to. Even if it's obvious (because they'll definitely recognize pandering), it still shows that you're invested and interested enough to do research. Just remember, it's not the point. It just helps show that you're not just copying and pasting the same essay.
thanks, that's really good advice. especially that last part, hadn't really thought of incorporating some of the things I could go into at their school into the answer.

E. Gadd Industries

In addition, remember these people are reading thousands of essays, so try to make it stand out if possible. For instance, if you have a "who do you look up to" question, don't say your mom or other family member—they don't know that person, no matter how much you write about them. For that essay, I wrote about how I look up to Luigi (yes, the Mushroom Kingdom Luigi). I know of a guy who had an essay that asked "What would you do if you weren't afraid of failure?" and he wrote a full poem (formatting and everything) for the essay, titled "If I wasn't afraid of failure" with the subject of how he would break traditional essay-writing formalities and the like
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

swimswamit

Man, I heard somewhere that taking a risk can be the safest way to get in and playing it safe can be the riskiest way to get in, but I don't really know how big a risk to take. Did the luigi thing get you in? I was honestly thinking of writing about my love for indie games. As silly as it sounds, I think I can turn it into a good essay that's still focused on my character and what I'm like.

SlowPokemon

I've generally found that when you're writing about something you legitimately care about, the quality of the writing is better.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

It's funny, because once you get into college, all of this advice becomes the opposite of what you should do.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

swimswamit

Quote from: SlowPokemon on December 03, 2017, 11:03:27 AMI've generally found that when you're writing about something you legitimately care about, the quality of the writing is better.
yeah I enjoy it much more and it seems to flow better. Just gotta stay on topic

E. Gadd Industries

Still waiting on word back from the place I used the essay to apply (it's National Merit Scholar), and my guidance counselors said that if any essay would catch their attention, that would certainly be the one to do it. I won't find out anything else other than being a semifinalist until February. But yeah, going off of everyone else, you definitely want to write about your passions; it'll show if you write only halfheartedly. Or wholeheartedly. Just make sure that whatever you write, be unapologetically yourself throughout the entire essay. It weakens it if you show a lack of confidence in your writing, even for just a single point.

Also, woohoo, new PC!! :D
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]