News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

I'm not a fan of how all of the bosses are in order in the last two, but it's a new age of Kirby, I guess.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

legoenthusiast

But doesn't RtDL have the bosses in order too? I'm pretty sure it did, though I haven't played it for a while.

Kricketune54

Quote from: legoenthusiast on December 07, 2020, 11:38:12 AMBut doesn't RtDL have the bosses in order too? I'm pretty sure it did, though I haven't played it for a while.

No it's not in order, though the last few (i.e. Lor, Magalor) are fixed order.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Libera on November 10, 2020, 06:44:44 AMYet another beautiful thought consumed by the monstrous sewage system.
Yeah, this was the perfect quote to be the first post on the page. ;D

Quote from: Kricketune54 on December 07, 2020, 01:23:34 PMNo it's not in order, though the last few (i.e. Lor, Magalor) are fixed order.
I think the arena(s) in Super Star Ultra had the last few bosses in fixed order, so that makes sense.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlueKirby

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on December 15, 2020, 12:03:26 PMI think the arena(s) in Super Star Ultra had the last few bosses in fixed order, so that makes sense.

The Last 4™
pfp is by me

My MuseScore

play len'en and kid icarus uprising

BlueKirby

Welcome to NSM, we hope you enjoy your stay
pfp is by me

My MuseScore

E. Gadd Industries

Hhhhhhh my card shuffling skills are miserable and my luck isn't great, either. I went through it earlier today and 9 of the 16 (f)ace cards were in the last fourth of the deck. :')
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

BlackDragonSlayer

i guess you can make a living as a shitty magician then
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Tobbeh99

I've been working a ton lately. A lot on my new website https://www.tobbeh99.org/. Which soon is pretty much done. I've started to sell my arrangements now, which can be great, kind of exited about it, to make some money for my work. And I'm pretty much done now :). I've actually also manage to sell an arrangement for around 5$ already. :D

So feels kind cool I guess.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

BlueKirby

pfp is by me

My MuseScore

LeviR.star

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 27, 2021, 02:17:44 AMI've been working a ton lately. A lot on my new website https://www.tobbeh99.org/. Which soon is pretty much done. I've started to sell my arrangements now, which can be great, kind of exited about it, to make some money for my work. And I'm pretty much done now :). I've actually also manage to sell an arrangement for around 5$ already. :D

So feels kind cool I guess.

It shouldn't feel "kind cool". A website with 4400+ free arrangements from video game music was already too good to be true, and I'm almost surprised we've gotten away with it. But you can't possibly be on legal grounds to do this. Even former NSM arrangers (Olimar12345, The Deku Trombonist) that have taken their sheets elsewhere are still offering them up for free, not because selling them is illegal, but because they appreciate the value in resources like these.

You ought to feel ashamed, Tobbeh. I used to look up to musicians like you, but now I'm disgusted -- not with the legality of this, but instead with the thought process behind it.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Tobbeh99

Well I'm confused.

First the legality. That shit is a mess, and it's a mess I have no power over (very little). The ones who decides the laws re politicians (a very select ones) so it's basically in the hands of them, and it's not my responsibility to make just laws, it's the government. And just as there are copyright laws, there are important legal subjects such as free speach and free trade laws (which also are laws). And I read the swedish copyiright law (URL) WAY too much and it's confusing and even though reading it like 1000 times I can't easily tell if arranging/transcribing is illegal or legal (I've even contacted groups such as the swedish business association who agreed with me that those laws are ambigious and old). And I contacted a lawyer about it, years ago, and sorting this thing out would cost (at that law firm) like 3000$! So y... you get the point.

Also I don't get the idea of why I should be ashamed for selling arrangements? Like should I only do it for free all the time? If I compose music, should I release that for free as well? Should I do everything for free?? Or maybe get a "real job" at the local supermarket (which I have to do anyways, cuase i won't be selling much probably, I'm happy if I sell just a few) to get an income?

And I get your point. Of course it's nice with free stuff. I might even just give away some for free as well. But it clearly is nice getting something for your work, I feel. And I appreciate this website a lot, not only because of all the free High Quality sheet music, but also because of the warm and really kind people.

But I made my decision. I'll see how it goes. It hasen't also been easy doing it. I've been thinking about it a lot. But I decided to do it now and I see how it goes. Maybe I give up about the idea, and give it away for free (on my new website), maybe. I'll see about it.

Sad that you feel that way.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Kricketune54

I don't want to comment on the legality of selling sheets but I'm personally surprised no one seems to ever set up like a tip system on their sheet sites.  I understand why NSM itself doesn't (unless maybe to pay infrastructure bills) but for the individuals I would think there would be no harm to doing an optional tip

MaestroUGC

Something like that still skirts close to the line of "profiting off of copyrighted materials", especially that's the only "good" you're providing through your platform.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Kricketune54

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 27, 2021, 11:34:26 AMSomething like that still skirts close to the line of "profiting off of copyrighted materials", especially that's the only "good" you're providing through your platform.

Good point and I'm sure even if you have original compositions it probably gets messy too like ahhh you're selling adjacent to copyrighted materials to market your stuff and make money. 

Also I know nothing about how tipping is defined legally so I'm sure that's not some sort of immaculate loophole to anything