News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

Considering that tips need to be claimed as income on your tax return (at least here in the US), the distinction is arguably irrelevent.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Kricketune54

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 27, 2021, 12:51:26 PMConsidering that tips need to be claimed as income on your tax return (at least here in the US), the distinction is arguably irrelevent.

I actually had no idea about that... IRS...

Dekkadeci

My belief is that it's pointless to charge money for music as long as you offer the sheet music for free in some fashion. Yes, that means that streaming your sheet music in a YouTube video counts. Yes, I have ripped sheet music from YouTube before by copying it manually into Musescore. If you offer sheet music for free (even with watermarks), your music is effectively free, regardless of how many paid versions of it you offer.

This is most of why I leave Creative Commons Attribution licenses on my compositions. It's still much more convenient to publish sheet music on Musescore than blanks with audio videos, I know I lose control over how others treat my music when everyone can rip it pretty accurately, and if I ever hear arrangements of my works, I want people to get the melody and harmony either correct or gloriously wrong. Minor melody and harmony mistakes still stick out to me like a sore thumb (even if I find harmony mistakes harder to conclusively detect).

SlowPokemon

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting paid for your work. Never let anyone tell you that your work, music, writing, or any other kind of art should be free.

The exception, of course, is when your work is USING SOMEONE ELSE'S COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IN AN UNOFFICIAL CAPACITY. This is not a brief quotation, this is straight using the entire musical material.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

AmpharosAndy

innit

Tobbeh99

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 28, 2021, 08:09:09 AMThere is absolutely nothing wrong with getting paid for your work. Never let anyone tell you that your work, music, writing, or any other kind of art should be free.

The exception, of course, is when your work is USING SOMEONE ELSE'S COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IN AN UNOFFICIAL CAPACITY. This is not a brief quotation, this is straight using the entire musical material.

Are you saying I'm infringing on someone else copyrighted material and using that in a commercial setting?? (which you basically can call commercial piracy)??
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Maelstrom

The music we host here is, honestly, a rather legally grey area where it can be argued that we provide a meaningful service for free that benefits society. The instant we profit from it, however, is the instant where we go from being legally grey to liable and potentially a legal target. This is why we have never, and will never take any money for the site, whatsoever. We can't tell you what to do and you are able to make your own decisions about whether you sell things or not. Chances are, due to how small your site is, it may never be noticed and you'll be fine. Still, I do want to give this word of caution to you.

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 28, 2021, 10:47:18 AMAre you saying I'm infringing on someone else copyrighted material and using that in a commercial setting?? (which you basically can call commercial piracy)??
I'll just say that similar scores on Musescore's website have been taken down for exactly this copyright infringement reason despite being offered for free. (Nowadays, Musescore's staff tries securing licenses to publish copyrighted music, but Disney is a notable exception they have been unable to secure and therefore stamp out scores of within days of publication instead.)

Maelstrom

Disney and professional non-soundtrack musicians are the most likely to go after free sheets simply for existing. It's one of the reasons we try not to have licensed music on the site, even if it appears in a game.

Jub3r7

I think at some point on this website I set my birth date to make my profile say I was 7 years old. Now I'm 11 and can't change my profile to say that I'm actually 24 xD

It acts like a field that you can select and even change but hitting "change profile" doesn't actually save the new birth date.
How's everyone doing? It's been a while.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

BlueKirby

hello. i may have never met, but hi anyways.
pfp is by me

My MuseScore

play len'en and kid icarus uprising

Maelstrom

maybe try completely removing it and then adding it back in

Jub3r7

Quote from: BlueKirby on February 18, 2021, 08:15:14 PMhello. i may have never met, but hi anyways.
Hello!

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 19, 2021, 06:15:52 AMmaybe try completely removing it and then adding it back in
Didn't work, guess I'm just 11 years old now.

It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Kricketune54

BrainyLucario

Hello Everyone! I'm still alive i just don't use the forum very much. Probably going to attempt to check it more but we'll just see how far my willingness to make music gets me.
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.