News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

NSM + Social Networking?

Started by Cobraroll, October 30, 2009, 03:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobraroll

I wasn't sure on where to put this, but I suppose it fits in with either problems, comments or praise. And it is regarding the site.

The topic title should give a clue about what I'm thinking. Basically, I think we should make a page for NSM on a social networking site, may it be Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, or anything else (though, please not myspace). I know it requires some effort, but it will be worth it because:

1) It will advertise the site somewhat. The chances of someone stumbling across us is bigger if we appear on more searches than Google's. Fans of us who haven't joined the forum can also see when something new is happening without having to visit the site.

2) Old members can keep in touch without having to visit the site directly. We have a few old members who never visit the forum anymore, and with this, they can be notified when new updates are up, without having to visit the site between writing on their friends' virtual walls. If we bring news about the updates on sites they use, they may be encouraged to come back or at least drop by from time to time. This is also true for new members, or people who visit the site regulary without joining.

3) It will bring a "community feel" to NSM. Members may get to know each other better, seeing as most of us will never meet in real life (for obvious reasons), and see what the others are like when they aren't trolling or talking about game music. As of now, few members actually know each other, and I actually doubt none of us have met in real life. With a "larger platform" to gather on, new doors may be opened (or something like that. My English tends to go a little dodgy after 10PM).

The downside, of course, is that it requires effort, and in a time when the mods hardly have time to maintain the site, giving them more to work on would be just dumb (though, it's not given that the mods will be responsible for our external pages, but I guess we're all as busy as the mods are at the moment).
Also, if we gather so many followers that Nintendo discovers us and decides to sue the lower parts of our backs, the site may be in trouble. Of course, the opposite can also be true, we may be officially recognised with them, but as not even Bulbagarden are atm, I doubt we'll have a chance. Most likely, we will be overlooked by them. But by the general game-music lovers, we will almost certainly be recognised even wider, and probably get more members.

What do the members of NSM say? Should we keep it to this one page, or try to widen our influence radius a little bit? Is it too much to crave from a site that hardly floats as it is, or would it give us a popularity boost? Do we actually have enough activity to justify posting it elsewhere?

Your opinions, please.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

dahans

Thx Cobraroll for posting our great ideas. I completely support your. That's a great idea. In my opinion this site has a lack of members. Social networking would solve that problem. Why not?
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

HugoMeister

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Nintendude73

I can create something for Facebook.  If someone wants to be added as an admin so that they can take care of the page when I'm not available, let me know.

Edit: Here ya go: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/NinSheetMusic/322254365439?ref=mf

Any suggestions would be appreciated... it's a pretty boring page right now. :P

Cobraroll

Well, I think we should announce updates on there (whenever you get time to update, that is), and I know a couple of our members have YouTube channels and videos of them playing our sheets. If we could get permission to put links to those videos on there, it would be great.

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

The Deku Trombonist

This is a great idea  :D . Perhaps in between updates, arrangers could post new arrangements they've done on the wall. Also, a mod could post the Facebook page link on the front page of the site.

Cobraroll

We have aldready swept quite a few songs for the next update. What about posting something along the lines of "The next update will include..."

Also, I have a lot of spare time, and would very much like to help NSM. If you could add me as an admin on the Facebook page, that would be great.
Edit: I'm the guy with the "æ" in my name. I forgot to mention that.

Nintendude73

OK, I added a video, links, and notes page.  I know everyone has permission to post videos, links, and photos on the wall, but I need someone to check if you can post to those pages as well (Video, Links, Photos, that is, Notes I'm pretty sure can only be used by admins, and that is where I will post the full update text for anyone too lazy to come to the site to see).

Arrangers posting their favorite current work to the wall would be fine by me.  Keep the place active at least.  I think JaMaHa would have to post a link on the website's front page if that were to happen.

I don't think a "the next update will include" thing would really be very necessary...  I mean, if you wanted to post it yourself just based on what songs have already been accepted, you could. :P

Cobraroll, I added you as an admin.

Cobraroll

Nintendude73

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 31, 2009, 01:29:00 AMAlso, a mod could post the Facebook page link on the front page of the site.
Oh, geez, I'm an idiot.  You meant just post an update with a link to the Facebook group.  I thought you meant to have a permanent link on the front page (which could happen at some point in the future if JaMaHa does it).  My bad. :P

I'll go ahead and post an update about that then.  DekuTrombonist is also now an admin on the NSM page.  You and Cobraroll can try to think of some ideas to keep the page interesting.  Or not.  At the very least updates will be posted there.

KefkaticFanatic

Thx for making some random guys admin and not a pretty cool guy like me.

But no, I would update it for this weekend and then forget about it so it's a pretty good thing you didn't even consider me.

me irl
[close]

Nintendude73

Don't worry, I had no intention of ever considering you in the first place. :)

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

Nintendude73

35 fans already.  Nice job spreading the word guys. :)

dahans

That's great :D. We are going to have lots of members (active members).
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!