News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Video Game Music Appreciation

Started by universe-X, December 29, 2009, 06:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

universe-X

This is strictly for Video Game Music. I made this for 3 reasons.

1) I was expecting to see something like this when first coming to NSM, but didn't find one, saw a comment on YouTube and here we are.

2) I feel like there's a deeper message that video game music is trying to tell us, and I wanna see what other people think...

3) I would like to see some different video game music. (I'm very fond of Nintendo) but I hear this great stuff about Sonic, Banjo-Kazooie, and Metroid, but I don't know if it's good or not. So hopefully I can find some music other than just Mario.

MaestroUGC

Wow, This is a nifty little topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z2kxFCQ_mQ

I recommend you try to post a link to the music regardless of how well known it is.

Gusty Garden is a very gusty piece, for lack of a better word. It is a soaring song, it gives you a sense of flying through the air.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Seeker

The beginning kind of reminds me of Gusty Gulch from Paper Mario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uL5JNPE8qQ

It's cool how the composer can take such a Mexican style piece and still make it sound lofty and soaring. I find the mixture a bit jarring at times however.
This is a signature.

universe-X

Thanks for the link UGC, but right now, I could kill you... I had this long spech written out on my DSi, and I posted it, it lagged up, and now it's gone!!! >:(

I'll try again...

What I really like about this song is that it's a melody that's spoken in a number of diverse ways throughout the whole game.

I also like how it starts out strong, a solid A, stating that there's something to be done. The discussion gets started, and the strings (I believe) give their thoughts. It gets louder, louder and then a horn calms it down letting one of the winds speak, with the harp singing in the background. But, it looks like the brasses have other ideas, they protest. They decide to arrange their final message to the world, and finally the whole orchestra announces its message to everyone, so loud that everyone remembers it . . .

And then it starts all over.

Sounds like a Bill in the U.S. Congress, huh?

And it's Japanese name, Wind Garden, fits perfectly. ;)

MaestroUGC

...You're as good as me when describing music. That was an interesting metaphor you gave, though I wouldn't make posts like that with a DSi because of those reasons you just gave.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

universe-X

Thanks. :) And the DSi comes in handy when you least expect it (sadly, that's when I don't have it).

Also, after looking a little bit further, you could consider Gusty Garden the English language of SMG, the Purple Comet theme, hmmm, it's one that sticks when memorized, so let's give it the Spanish language of SMG. And the The End that was made only for the soundtrack, it's hidden, and not well known to people that don't know it, so let's give that theme the Hawaiian or Canadian language of SMG. :P

If anyone cares, the The End theme is basically Gusty Garden (the beginning of it, anyway) in C major (so basically, everything's a half step down). And the Purple Comet theme is similar to Gusty Garden somewhere near the end (of GG), I forgot/don't really care which key signature it is in :P

universe-X

OK! Seeing a topic get off to a great start is always... great! :D Any ideas for the next few weeks? (pretty much copying UGC's idea, sorry! :P ) I'd also like it to go in a weekly order, or if the conversation is too short, we can bring it to 5 or even 3 days per song. Sounds good? Any ideas for a next song, at (least nothing SMG)? You are welcome to suggest custom/performances made on video (as long as they are some sort of remix).

Cobraroll

^Let's get done with Gusty Garden first. After that... well, I'd like to see The. Song. I'm of course speaking of the most famous video game piece ever, perhaps one of the ten most influential songs of the 20th century, one of the most played songs ever:

Super Mario Bros. - Overworld.

If we want to save that for later, perhaps The Song of Storms, or Pokémon R/B/Y - Trainer Battle.

But for now, Gusty Garden. The beginning of it (from ten seconds in) for some reason reminds me of the intro to a television series about the 18th century England, just zooming in on a large mansion somewhere in the countryside, which is surrounded by perfectly angular hedges, small fountains and well-trimmed grass. Indeed, Gusty Garden does remind one of a garden.
The main melody is quite calm and peaceful, but the bass (is that strings?) gives it a sense of business and speed, just like floating among the skies can seem calm and peaceful, but there are high winds to be aware of. Then the crescendo kicks in, and the thoughts immediately leap to floating among the skies, at times landing on small planets inhabited by bunnies. There are high winds, high risk, but high returns. The gardens in the skies are beautiful, but navigating among them is hard.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

universe-X

Quote from: Cobraroll on December 30, 2009, 02:20:03 AMbut the bass (is that strings?) 

Bass (or contrabass) is part of the strings. But I think the instrument you're looking for is just an acoustic guitar, that has it's own little countermelody in that first ten seconds. :-\ I could be wrong

Cobraroll

^I'm talking about the violins, cellos (celli?) or whatever, that go between two notes very quickly during most of the song. They give the song speed, so to say.

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

universe-X

Aah, I see what you mean. Nice, I didn't really catch that, I was writing what I said before from memory.  :P

Also, I'm gonna add a schedule to the "first" post.

Maretocks

If a may suggest-Prelude, from he FF series. Mainly ff7's.

Gusty Garden is a fantastic piece that captures what it tries to perfectly. It definitely makes you feel like you're flying around free, but to be careful.
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

universe-X

Any suggestions that are made, I would really like it if a video is added so I may hear it (forgot about FF there, I really would like to add some FFX (Piano) collections in here.

Cobraroll

universe-X