News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

switching hands

Started by raymondbl, April 17, 2010, 09:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondbl

Hi!

I was doing some transcribing, and I was wondering how do you make finale do one hand in both of the staves?  So, the right hand goes down to where the left hand is, but is still played by the left hand?  kind of hard to explain... I think you have to use a line but I dont' know how to make finale recognize that... any help is appreciated.

KefkaticFanatic

Second layer.  I forget what buttons you press cause I haven't had a Finale editor installed in ages, but I'm pretty sure there's a 1/2/3/4/5 or something in one of the corners.

me irl
[close]

raymondbl

isn't that for one hand holding down on a note and pressing others?  How do you use that to switch the hands to other staves?  It's ok if you don't know, because you haven't had a finale editor.  what do you have on your computer?

MaestroUGC

You can change clefs, but with the full Finale software you can go to Plug-ins > TG Tools > Cross Staff

Choose the split point: C4 is middle C; A3 is the A below middle C; etc...

Select if you want the cross to go to the staff above or below.

The stems from the notes may collide so you need to go to Tools > Advanced Tools > Special Tools > Stem direction to change the direction as needed.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

KefkaticFanatic

Can you post an example of what you're trying to do?

me irl
[close]

HugoMeister

If I understand what you're talking about, I've always done what Kefka said: just add a second layer.

Its fairly obvious what the player is supposed to do, its not like they're going to flip out "SDF:LKJDF HOW DO I PLAY THAT WITH ONE HAND?!?!?!?".

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

raymondbl

the problem with the layer thing is that there will still be rests there for the left hand.  I've tried it... and I haven't tried maestro's yet.  be back in a sec!

HugoMeister

Highlight the rest, so that it turns purple (just click on it), and hit the letter "H" on your keyboard.

It then becomes slightly transparent, and will not show up when you print the page.

This is called "hiding" the entry. You can do it for a lot of other things like notes or articulations.

KefkaticFanatic

Yay I recognize that song

me irl
[close]

HugoMeister

raymondbl

how do I put in an image...

KefkaticFanatic

Upload here: http://imageshack.us/
Copy the forum code that it gives you.

me irl
[close]

raymondbl

[/URL][/img] ?
[/URL][/img]?

raymondbl

Winter

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on April 17, 2010, 12:53:27 PMYay I recognize that song

That's the Song from the Wind Waker King of Hyrule right?