News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

The Musical Showdown - Discussion for Creation.

Started by MaestroUGC, June 04, 2010, 04:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

This was inspired by dahans, who challenged me in a compositional duel.

I've created this to see who would want to test their compositional ability, do not sign up for any thing in this thread.

The idea is simple; it will  be a tournament duel in which two people will write a piece which will be judged by the other members of the tournament.
Your writing has to follow these guidlines:
1) They must be for the same instrument
2) The must be similar in tone (i.e. match a similar theme or idea)
3) Random factor for the judges to determine

Now as the tournament progresses, each round will be more complicated.

I'm not asking for people who compose for a living, but for musicians who want to try something new.
Please suggest your ideas; or if no one is interested then I'll ask for the topic to be closed.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

dahans

That's a great idea. Of course, I will take part!
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

universe-X

This sounds good... but I think the same tone rule should be taken out. A writer needs their own standards, ya know? And for judging: Make a list of judges, who are not part of the tournament. So it could be like this:

Contestants:

Judges:

Sounds like an idea?

MaestroUGC

Well, the tone is to keep people on track; that way the judges can have a fair idea what they need to accomplish with the music.

universe-X

So then we'll get an idea of what kind of tone our songs supposed to have? And in that case, will we have a specific key signature/time signature for the song?

MaestroUGC

That's too restiricting, but at the beginning of each roud, the judges will pick the instruments, tone or idea, and some third factor.

Concerto No.20 in D minor

MaestroUGC

universe-X

I sent out PMs to everyone that I thought would be active and have Finale... let's see what we get.

SuperFireKirby

Darnit. I would totally do this if I still had Notebook

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

MaestroUGC

universe-X

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on June 04, 2010, 07:27:34 PMDarnit. I would totally do this if I still had Notebook
You can always try it on a free Notepad 2008. Should get the same results, and you could always ask someone for MIDI help.

SuperFireKirby

right.... I guess I could scuff out ten bucks on it. Or get a torrent of Finale. But thats just no fun.
Quote from: universe-X on June 04, 2010, 07:29:19 PMYou can always try it on a free Notepad 2008. Should get the same results, and you could always ask someone for MIDI help.
You can't download Notepad for free anymore, excluding the trial and illegal copies

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

MaestroUGC

Well, I don't encourage illegal activity...but Finale is something a good musician needs...

master_gamer38

Quote from: universe-X on June 04, 2010, 07:20:21 PMI sent out PMs to everyone that I thought would be active and have Finale... let's see what we get.

Jerk, you didn't send me one.

Anyways, I might try this. Just questions first. Is it going to be like, simple things like, a piano solo? Or like, Full Orchestra? And length?
Avid user of NFNet IRC network.