djRyoji's Corner - Video Game Piano Vol. I (20 arrangements + sheetbook)

Started by DonValentino, September 04, 2010, 09:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(Nothing right now)

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

DonValentino

Quote from: pumpy_heart on June 30, 2012, 03:36:10 PMWow! Quick turnaround. I better get to finishing my end, finishing up this soundtrack.

Just downloaded Bad Guy Encounter. Some of the chromatic spelling are really odd/wrong. In the pickup, you go B-Bb then back to B. This would make more sense as B-A#-B to show that the B is the real note being highlighted, since the A# moves to the B. That's called a neighbor note.
Surprise, surprise, they come back in the left hand in measure 1. D-Db should be D-C#, F#-E# likewise. The spelling you use are more common for passing tones, saying if a note goes from B-A with a chromatic note in between, the spelling B-Bb-A would make sense.
And you do spell the passing notes correctly in the right hand of measure 1 and measure 5! Now to fix a few more minor spelling errors. Since we've already introduced the pitch as A#, not Bb, it would make more sense to spell it like this in 2-5. Either spelling creates the desired chord, but using A# shows that there's really not two B's, but rather one B and one other clearly distinct pitch, A#.
In measure 3, since the chromatic line moves upwards, you should use sharps. When a chromatic line falls, flats. So the line should be G-G#-A(natural)-A#

Using these spelling will lead to a very quick reading for the performer. Use these tips whenever you encounter chromatic music again as they'll hold true to a lot of techniques employed by composers.
Good job!

Got it! Thanks a lot, really, this is exactly what I needed. I'd be great if you could also take a look at the other two, please.

pumpy_heart

Sure, no problem.

Male Trainer Appears - There's chromatic spelling mistakes in the left hand in measure 1 and 2. I think you could fix those now. The biggest fault in this one is the tempo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLexeBHPLk8 Very noticeable. Quick fix though. I would guestimate it being around 148-152.

Female Trainer Appears - Some chromatic misspellings again. Measure 1 right hand and measure 3 right hand in the first beat.

Not a bad job at all, quick turnarounds! I have 2 of the 3 victory themes done. Will work on finishing the third either today or tomorrow, leaving only the quick sound cues to arrange to have finished the whole soundtrack!

DonValentino

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 01, 2012, 09:15:50 AMSure, no problem.

Male Trainer Appears - There's chromatic spelling mistakes in the left hand in measure 1 and 2. I think you could fix those now. The biggest fault in this one is the tempo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLexeBHPLk8 Very noticeable. Quick fix though. I would guestimate it being around 148-152.

Female Trainer Appears - Some chromatic misspellings again. Measure 1 right hand and measure 3 right hand in the first beat.

Good, thanks.

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 01, 2012, 09:15:50 AMNot a bad job at all, quick turnarounds!

lol

Also... someone voted the fourth option of my poll... *sniff* Excuse me while I cry in a corner.

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 01, 2012, 09:15:50 AMI have 2 of the 3 victory themes done. Will work on finishing the third either today or tomorrow, leaving only the quick sound cues to arrange to have finished the whole soundtrack!

The RB soundtrack? Nice. Still, there are some sheets on site that need to be reformatted and corrected like this one. Hope the next Fixing the Sheets project is Pokemon.

pumpy_heart

Oh yeah, totally. Some need to be reformatted. I thought about doing that, but eh. Doesn't sound like fun.

Also, you never need a project title to just do something. If you do something well enough, in the past the site admins have rewarded those people by giving them their own update. Fixing all of Pokemon would easily warrant that, even if just one generation at a time.

DonValentino

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 01, 2012, 10:33:51 AMOh yeah, totally. Some need to be reformatted. I thought about doing that, but eh. Doesn't sound like fun.

Also, you never need a project title to just do something. If you do something well enough, in the past the site admins have rewarded those people by giving them their own update. Fixing all of Pokemon would easily warrant that, even if just one generation at a time.

Well, I might reformat some.

Yeah! I wonder what happened with those updates.

Jompa

Why can't I open .rar-files? :(
I haven't been able to see any of your arrangements because of it. Could someone tell me WHy? D:
Birdo for Smash

DonValentino

Quote from: Jompa on July 19, 2012, 07:21:51 AMWhy can't I open .rar-files? :(
I haven't been able to see any of your arrangements because of it. Could someone tell me WHy? D:

You have to open them with WinRAR. If you don't have it, you can download it here: http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar420.exe
And how nice of you for wanting to see my arrangements! Thanks. Also, if you see anything wrong with them, please tell me, I like constructive feedback, like Pumpy's.

Jompa

Quote from: WarioMan98 on July 19, 2012, 07:28:59 AMYou have to open them with WinRAR. If you don't have it, you can download it here: http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar420.exe
And how nice of you for wanting to see my arrangements! Thanks. Also, if you see anything wrong with them, please tell me, I like constructive feedback, like Pumpy's.
Ayay! :)
btw I have a question for you in my thread ;)
Birdo for Smash

MoboMoga

are you planning to do the encounter themes for pokemon bw 2? then can  you do colress first?  ;D ;D

DonValentino

Quote from: MoboMoga on July 24, 2012, 01:30:32 PMare you planning to do the encounter themes for pokemon bw 2? then can  you do colress first?  ;D ;D

Colress? I guess you mean Corless. And no, sorry, I'm not interested in BW2's soundtrack yet. But don't worry, I'll consider it.  :)

Jompa

That'd be really cool actually - especially Corless' encounter.
Birdo for Smash

TheZeldaPianist275

Airytale Castle is pretty solid.  Not sure what the protocol is on this, but you could use fermatas instead of changing the time sig every other measure.  Also, to provide some of the 'echoey' feel, you could make a note for pedal or half-pedal for the entire song.  Good job!  :D

MoboMoga

Quote from: WarioMan98 on July 25, 2012, 02:59:16 AMColress? I guess you mean Corless. And no, sorry, I'm not interested in BW2's soundtrack yet. But don't worry, I'll consider it.  :)

oh haha, i thought it was colress since the people in the video said so  ;D

Cobraroll

Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

FSM-Reapr

Who idiot said that you shouldn't arrange if you don't know how?! Seriously, who is the idiot?