djRyoji's Corner - Video Game Piano Vol. I (20 arrangements + sheetbook)

Started by DonValentino, September 04, 2010, 09:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(Nothing right now)

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Jompa

Oh, you know what? Brassman is correct!
You see Don, the key you chose, Gb, isn't the right key signature at all!
Tonika in this song is B (5 sharps).

Sorry I didn't understand earlier Brassman, but I though you meant to change it into F#, and that wouldn't make sense, if one would get rid of accidentals :P

Don, you have to change it into B major, (without changing the pitch of any notes of course,) and then you will have to take a good look at the loose accidentals again! I can help of course!! :)
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

If you're looking for something to do, I noticed you mentioned Mario and Luigi in the poll. What about "Dance With Babies" which is the end title from Mario and Luigi Partners in Time?
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Brassman388

Quote from: WarioMan98 on March 25, 2013, 04:24:50 AMBut Brassman, isn't that B major? Sure looks clean, but the key is not Bmaj. :-\

Listen for when it modulates into its relative minor key. What note does it do so in? If your answer is G#, then it should be correct.

As for accidentals, there's quite a bit of bluesy stuff going on, which usually, requires the use of flats. Just be careful where you place them and that they make sense both visually and tonally.

Glad I could help, guys.

DonValentino

Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 25, 2013, 07:39:17 AMIf you're looking for something to do, I noticed you mentioned Mario and Luigi in the poll. What about "Dance With Babies" which is the end title from Mario and Luigi Partners in Time?
Sure! But wasn't it already done by someone...? Well, never mind, I'll do my own arrangement. Besides, it's one of my favorite songs from PiT! :D

Quote from: Jompa on March 25, 2013, 07:14:50 AMOh, you know what? Brassman is correct!
You see Don, the key you chose, Gb, isn't the right key signature at all!
Tonika in this song is B (5 sharps).

Sorry I didn't understand earlier Brassman, but I though you meant to change it into F#, and that wouldn't make sense, if one would get rid of accidentals :P

Don, you have to change it into B major, (without changing the pitch of any notes of course,) and then you will have to take a good look at the loose accidentals again! I can help of course!! :)
Quote from: Brassman388 on March 25, 2013, 08:13:18 AMListen for when it modulates into its relative minor key. What note does it do so in? If your answer is G#, then it should be correct.

As for accidentals, there's quite a bit of bluesy stuff going on, which usually, requires the use of flats. Just be careful where you place them and that they make sense both visually and tonally.

Glad I could help, guys.
Ohh! Now I see it! It really is in B major!
Thanks a lot guys! Any help or feedback is always welcome.

I'll ask again to see if I placed the right accidentals later on then. :)

Jompa

Quote from: Brassman388 on March 25, 2013, 08:13:18 AMListen for when it modulates into its relative minor key. What note does it do so in? If your answer is G#, then it should be correct.
As I said, it is in B major so there shouldn't be a discussion about this anymore..
QuoteAs for accidentals, there's quite a bit of bluesy stuff going on, which usually, requires the use of flats. Just be careful where you place them and that they make sense both visually and tonally.
Sorry, but that's bullshit. You don't use flats in B, that's a terrible idea, really!!!!
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

^sorry, but that's bullshit. It's perfectly acceptable to use flats in the key of B.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Jompa

In what way would that be a good idea to get rid of unnecessary and annoying accidentals, as well as getting correct intervals in chords?
Please explain.
Birdo for Smash

Brassman388

Quote from: Jompa on March 25, 2013, 10:06:02 AMAs I said, it is in B major so there shouldn't be a discussion about this anymore..Sorry, but that's bullshit. You don't use flats in B, that's a terrible idea, really!!!!

Dude, calm down. That was for Warioman.

Also, from what I understand about blues theory, it's totally acceptable to use any kind of accidentals as the piece sees fit. I could be wrong about using flats, perhaps it could be naturals. Should I go into depth about it or are we cool? I'll be two for two if that be the case. I guarantee it.

Jompa

I don't see what you mean by blues theory, and yeah sure, you could use whatever accidentals you want, but that is just a terrible idea in B major, because you already have all these sharps, right? You aren't supposed to make things harder for the guy who'll read it and play it. And by adding these accidentals that have NOTHING to do there is probably the most efficient way of making things harder to read.
Besides, even if you could come up with cases where this would be somewhat ok to do, then there is not a single one of these cases in WarioMan's arrangement where one should use flats, anyways.

This discussion started from you suggesting to change the key into shaprs, because then the double flats would become flats, but that is totally wrong. They would become naturals. And yeah, sure, naturals are better than double flats, but what would happen to the naturals that were already there (and there are quite some of them)? They would become double sharps, so you wouldn't win anything from it at all.
That is the whole discussion.
Birdo for Smash

Brassman388

You're right about one thing and one thing only. I did suggest that changing the key from Gb major to F# major would clear up some of the double flats. Which, it did, quite successfully I might add. The one thing I didn't account for which you agreed upon, was the fact that the key was completely wrong.

I have a question for you. Have you even looked at a piece of music written for piano before? I'm not talking about like, something written here. I'm talking about a professional looking sheet, maybe, one written by the greats. They warrant accidentals according to theory and rules that justify those accidentals. I'm not saying that's how everyone writes, but it's clean, efficient and much easier for someone to follow once they have an idea of what they're playing.

You're justifying accidentals on an idea that I find just plain ridiculous. "It's in a key with sharps, accidentals need to stay as sharps." There's no theory or merit backing that idea up. None that I can see, anyways.

That's my discussion.

On another note, I would like to apologize to Warioman for using his thread as a verbal battle ground. If it goes longer than a couple more posts, I will kindly move it to my thread where we can duke it out and you can delete these posts.

Jompa

Quote from: Brassman388 on March 25, 2013, 12:08:14 PMOn another note, I would like to apologize to Warioman for using his thread as a verbal battle ground. If it goes longer than a couple more posts, I will kindly move it to my thread where we can duke it out and you can delete these posts.
That won't be necessary because this discussion will be over soon:
QuoteThey warrant accidentals according to theory and rules that justify those accidentals. I'm not saying that's how everyone writes, but it's clean, efficient and much easier for someone to follow once they have an idea of what they're playing.
^That, Brassman, is EXCACTLY why I am correct.
You know, I could just repost my last post. As long as you would understand what you would read this time.
QuoteYou're justifying accidentals on an idea that I find just plain ridiculous. "It's in a key with sharps, accidentals need to stay as sharps."
I never said anything that remotely suggests that.
Don't forget that we aren't talking about "any key with sharps" here! It's B major. Don't forget again, now.
Birdo for Smash

Brassman388

Oh my goodness. Instead of talking about it, why not just show me, dude.

Jompa

show you?

Edit: Ahh, screw this, I don't wanna quarrel anymore - if you still want to learn some music theory, just read my posts so far.

Edit 2: And shit... Don, sorry for this pile of spam, I'm sorry.
Birdo for Smash

Brassman388

Yes, show me. You seem confident enough to know what you're talking about. Why don't you put your dollar where your dime is?

Or is that metaphor too difficult to grasp?

Jompa

Ok, what am I going to show you?
Why flats are stupid in B major? Is that it? 'Cause if that's all, then you could just read the stuff I have already written, you know. Or you could use common sense, either way is fine.
Or is it something else?
Birdo for Smash