News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Submissions General Questions, Comments, etc

Started by The Deku Trombonist, October 23, 2010, 05:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjvelker

Thanks for the quick and detailed response!
I've been meaning to get into Dropbox for a while. Here's a good excuse. :)

Shadoninja

Quote from: danjvelker on January 28, 2013, 07:21:22 PMKind of a (really) dumb question, but how would I upload a file on here directly from my computer? These forums are foreign to me...the format of them is quite strange.

Quote from: Shadoninja on August 28, 2012, 10:42:26 AMHow to Dropbox (Like a Boss)

Place your file(s) into the public folder.

Right click on your file and navigate to "Dropbox -> Copy public link"

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36661985/File.txt
Paste the link to your thread.

Walk away.
Also http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=5209.0
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

spitllama

We are approaching the four week mark on the two week update. Just nudging.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

FSM-Reapr

Shadoninja

Guys relax, Deku's working on something really cool.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

zymeth1130

Uhm, hello everyone!  :)
I don't know if this was actually answered, or if ever it is in the FAQs, but as a lazy guy, I didn't dig much into the forum topics.
Well, anyways, I just wanted to ask something. Right now, I'm planning to try and make some transcription/s, but the problem is, I'm not very good at making music sheets. I can put up the notes, but I'm not excellent at making the "formal music language." Stuff like: should this be a sixteenth note or eighth note, or what tempo should I use, or what the hell is the key signature of this, or put a crescendo/diminuendo, etc.
So, I would just like to clarify: will there be anyone who would clean up the music sheet I would make (if ever I get to make one and hopefully will)? Meaning, I'll go figure out the notes in a piece, and this certain person will make the "write-up" of the piece for me (do all the formal music sheet stuff).  :)
TL;DR - Will someone make an actual music sheet for me and for the benefit of everyone else, if I get to figure out the notes?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

MaestroUGC

So you want somebody to write the actual sheet if you figure out the pitches?

Do me a favor: Try transcribing an actual sheet first. Don't just come here asking us to do all of the work for you, try it first. If you need help or get stuck, then come ask us for help. We'll be glad to help you along if you get struck with an arrangement.

You appear to have some basic understanding of pitch and rhythm, so just try to do it first.

Finale Notepad 2012 is a free, lite notation program; the Finale line of products are what we use here. We have resources here to help you along, so please use them.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Clanker37

Quote from: zymeth1130 on February 01, 2013, 12:36:40 AMRight now, I'm planning to try and make some transcription/s, but the problem is, I'm not very good at making music sheets. I can put up the notes, but I'm not excellent at making the "formal music language." Stuff like: should this be a sixteenth note or eighth note, or what tempo should I use, or what the hell is the key signature of this, or put a crescendo/diminuendo, etc.
First of all, welcome to the forums! :D And don't worry. Most of our newcomers have no idea about the nitty gritty theory side of things.

However, from what I can gather, are you having problems with rhythms? E.g the length of the notes and percussive stuff. Because that's like, have the basics of arranging. Do you do musical classes? Private or in school? Or have done?

In terms of tempo, use this to tap along with the song's main beats. It will tell you the average tempo.

Key Signature is kinda difficult to explain. Basically, try counting along with the song using the main beats. It should all fit together evenly using the same number, usually. Mostly it's 4/4, but some times you get crazy ones -_-"

I wouldn't worry about dynamics just yet. Once you have the song completely arranged, or a section, then worry about dynamics.
Quote from: zymeth1130 on February 01, 2013, 12:36:40 AMSo, I would just like to clarify: will there be anyone who would clean up the music sheet I would make (if ever I get to make one and hopefully will)? Meaning, I'll go figure out the notes in a piece, and this certain person will make the "write-up" of the piece for me (do all the formal music sheet stuff).  :)
Post your song in a new Arrangement thread under your name. This will become your base for all your arrangements. I will have a look at it and see if I can help you at all. By the way, what song do you think will be your first arrangement?

I hope this helps a bit! I hope you enjoy NSM!

EDIT: God damn it Maestro

zymeth1130

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 01, 2013, 12:53:01 AMFinale Notepad 2012 is a free, lite notation program; the Finale line of products are what we use here. We have resources here to help you along, so please use them.
Oh goody! Thanks for this program! Exactly what I needed.  :)

Quote from: Clanker37 on February 01, 2013, 01:06:12 AMHowever, from what I can gather, are you having problems with rhythms? E.g the length of the notes and percussive stuff. Because that's like, have the basics of arranging.
Hmmm. Yeah, it's one of the problems, but not a major one. I have even more problems on figuring out the accompanying bass notes, since I find it easier to play just the lead notes (right hand). But, my real problem is putting all of the notes I played by ear into a music sheet. I wanted to make a music sheet out of the notes I played, but the process of making the music sheet is killing me. In short, I can play it by ear, but when I look at my music sheet and start to write, it's like: AH -MAH -FREAKIN-GAHD, what am I supposed to do with this? 'Cause even when I read music sheets, I just care about the key signature (just the flats/sharps of it) and the notes, and estimate the actual length of the notes (like when moving from 16th to 8th note, I just play like: oh, this must go slower than the previous one; it's like notes, for me, are named as slow, slower slowest  :P)

Quote from: Clanker37 on February 01, 2013, 01:06:12 AMDo you do musical classes? Private or in school? Or have done?
I do, with myself. Haha. ;D Haven't gone to music classes, except for the ones that are school-sanctioned (those that are part of their curriculum). But how I wish I could actually attend to music classes. The internet and books are my best friends for learning music stuff. Oh, and also my peers from school.  :)

Quote from: Clanker37 on February 01, 2013, 01:06:12 AMPost your song in a new Arrangement thread under your name. This will become your base for all your arrangements. I will have a look at it and see if I can help you at all. By the way, what song do you think will be your first arrangement?
Will do! (As soon as I get to finish one, if ever  :) ) First song, eh? I'm trying to work on an OST off a DS game, Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors called "9 Years" (That game was plain awesome  :D)

Quote from: Clanker37 on February 01, 2013, 01:06:12 AMEDIT: God damn it Maestro
HAHAHA.  ;D

Clanker37

Quote from: zymeth1130 on February 01, 2013, 01:55:40 AMHmmm. Yeah, it's one of the problems, but not a major one. I have even more problems on figuring out the accompanying bass notes, since I find it easier to play just the lead notes (right hand). But, my real problem is putting all of the notes I played by ear into a music sheet. I wanted to make a music sheet out of the notes I played, but the process of making the music sheet is killing me. In short, I can play it by ear, but when I look at my music sheet and start to write, it's like: AH -MAH -FREAKIN-GAHD, what am I supposed to do with this? 'Cause even when I read music sheets, I just care about the key signature (just the flats/sharps of it) and the notes, and estimate the actual length of the notes (like when moving from 16th to 8th note, I just play like: oh, this must go slower than the previous one; it's like notes, for me, are named as slow, slower slowest  :P)
Oh, I see. Yes the process of putting the notes in takes time. A lot actually. But it's worth it is you can create a wonderful masterpiece! :D

Also in my previous post I confused Key signature with Time Signature. Whoops. So basically if you can't find a Key signature, just write it out and then look through and if there are prominent accidentals through it, change the Key accordingly. E.g if there's an F# in every bar, add it in. It's confusing at first, but if you know your scales and Key signatures, it's a breeze.

Basically it all comes down to practice. The more you arrange, the better you will become. We all start out bad (Well, most of us), but over time we improve. We learn easier ways to do things, etc. etc.

Quote from: zymeth1130 on February 01, 2013, 01:55:40 AMFirst song, eh? I'm trying to work on an OST off a DS game, Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors called "9 Years" (That game was plain awesome  :D)
I have yet to play that. I should probably pick it up. I know that there a couple of people who have played, like Slow. I'm sure he will be a great asset to you! :D

zymeth1130

Quote from: Clanker37 on February 01, 2013, 03:17:13 AMBasically it all comes down to practice. The more you arrange, the better you will become. We all start out bad (Well, most of us), but over time we improve. We learn easier ways to do things, etc. etc.
I really hope I do so. I will definitely do my best to make a really good arrangement.  :)

Quote from: Clanker37 on February 01, 2013, 03:17:13 AMI have yet to play that. I should probably pick it up. I know that there a couple of people who have played, like Slow. I'm sure he will be a great asset to you! :D
You must. I swear. Then follow that with Virtue's Last Reward (which I have to play still). That's gonna be one epic experience.  ;D

BTW, what qualifies one to be on the main page? I mean, are those the pinnacle of excellence here in NSM?   :D

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Clanker37

Quote from: zymeth1130 on February 01, 2013, 04:24:09 AMYou must. I swear. Then follow that with Virtue's Last Reward (which I have to play still). That's gonna be one epic experience.  ;D
Let me just finish Layton and Paper Mario first :I
Quote from: zymeth1130 on February 01, 2013, 04:24:09 AMBTW, what qualifies one to be on the main page? I mean, are those the pinnacle of excellence here in NSM?   :D
There's a submission topic, stuck in this board. It should be under the title 'Fortnightly Update #1' or some thing. Just post your arrangements there, after following the correct guidelines of course ;) and your arrangement will be picked and plucked (By you of course) into NSM material. Then it will be posted on the site with all the other sheets.

All of the current ones are the most accurate and fantastic arrangements we can offer, ever since we introduced the new critiquing system. However, there are still a few, older, more utterly horrific arrangements on the site we haven't found yet.