News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Submissions General Questions, Comments, etc

Started by The Deku Trombonist, October 23, 2010, 05:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

AwesomeYears

If a song's key is in D Dorian, is the key signature C major?

Bespinben

Quote from: AwesomeYears on March 24, 2015, 01:05:35 PMIf a song's key is in D Dorian, is the key signature C major?

Yes, but it's up to you to decide whether to write the key signature as C major or use D major key signature and "borrow" accidentals from C major (that is, naturalizing the B and E). I usually use the mode-specific key signature if a song never deviates from that key (ex: Temple of Time), whereas I usually just "borrow" accidentals for songs that flip-flop back and forth (ex: my PMD GtI Ragged Mountain arrangement).

http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=6652.0
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

AwesomeYears

The song I'm arranging is in D minor, so will it still be in D minor or C major?

Bespinben

The only difference between D minor and D Dorian is whether the 6th is raised or not (Bb or B natural). If you see Bb's in the piece, I would write it as D minor (1 flat) key signature.

mikey

My preference is to have the key signature reflect the mode, in this case I personally would keep the flat out, especially if there are no Bb's.  It's probably more correct to have the Bb in the key signature though, naturaling all the Bb's
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Its theoretically correct to keep the key signature of D in this example, since that is tonic.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

AwesomeYears

Anyone know how to hide rests in Finale 2014?

Bespinben

AwesomeYears

Thank you! I am annoyed that the rest of the Internet can't even answer a simple question, so I'm happy to be here!

AwesomeYears

I'm highlighting the rest and pressing R but nothing happens! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

InsigTurtle

You might have misread his reply, since H is the key that hides. R is supposed to change a note to a rest and vice versa.

AwesomeYears

Maelstrom

Don't highlight it. Select it like you would a note, then press H