News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Classical (sheet) music

Started by Gu4n, March 28, 2008, 08:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gu4n

I'd like to start with playing classical sheet music, but I have no idea where to start. What songs can you play and recommend me? =) I prefer Beethoven.

Beethoven II

Can you give some background info about your musical history? That would be easier for me to decide which song(i have lots of classical music ;D)

Gaab4Ever

HugoMeister

I would start with Für Elise. Its Beethoven, so yeah. Then I would get used to classical music with famous titles like "Hallelujah Chorus" and "Carmen" and stuff like that.

Oh, if you like Beethoven, check out Symphony No. 7. I've always liked that song, and I'm learning to play it.

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Gu4n

I already can play Für Elise, it was the first song I could play, haha.

@Beethoven II: I play piano for seven years now, and I'm not really good at quick 'fingering' so I'd like to improve that. I tried Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" but it was a tad too quick for me.

PianoMasta7

Play...Umm...Fur Elise is the easiest classical song...Try the Canon.

Lildigipoke2

Fur Elise, then Canon....two easy and fun songs to play

CHOCOLATEEEEEEE

Concerto No.20 in D minor

Not canon, please not canon.  *dies* ... *comes back to life*  Play Op.66 "Fantaisie-Impromptu"  It's fun, and challenging.  Takes about a week to get used to it and another week or two to get it perfect.

Shadoninja

"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

marvolo_gaunt

I like to think I'm very well read when it comes to classical for 15, so for a nice easy piece, Fuer Elise has been a good option, but also Gymnopedies No. 1 by Erik Satie, is also easy but lovely, the first half of Claire de Lune is also nice and simple.

I dunno how skilled you are, I've only been playing for 10 months and I can play Solfeggietto at proper speed, Sonata in C, 1st Mvt, K.545, To Zanarkand, and Marcia alla Turca by Beethoven (piano arrangement by Rubinstein, slightly simplified.), among many others.

Try some of these. Have yourself a go at some of Schubert's Moments Musicaux, particularly that in Ab Major.

Or go for some more simple pieces like Handel's Largo from Xerxes, or Trumpet Voluntary by Jeremiah Clarke isn't too hard to learn.

Jesus bleibet meine Freude (Jesus remains my joy) and Ave Maria by Schubert are some other nice ones, though careful of the compound time juxtaposing against simple time in Ave Maria.

Fantasie Impromptu is maybe not a good idea for someone who said they weren't good at quick fingering, but proper is ESSENTIAL for Fantasie Impromptu. An easy piece of Chopin's is arguably Nocturne in Eb Major, Opus 9/2.

Of course Canon, but another nice one I learned by Sonata for Keyboard No. 23 K. 208 by Domenico Scarlatti. Or Der Vogelfaenger bin ich ja aus "der (eigentlich die, aber "aus" macht sie der) Zauberfloete".
Yeah, that's right, I speak German :D

Pathetique Sonata mvt 2 is an easy piece to learn and Mvt 1 of Moonlight Sonata played Adagio Sostenuto certainly isn't quick, a couple of Beethoven pieces for you.

I dunno how it plays on piano sheet music, but Symphony No. 6 in F Major 'Pastoral" might be a nice one to try. Just don't go near Wellington Victory *spews* terrible stuff.

The Musical Clock, though not a piano piece, can be played as such and isn't too hard. Another Beethoven piece.

Or find a simplified version of Piano Concerto No. 21 in C Major, K. 467 by Mozart. Another in triplet vs. simple time so watch out.

Just some of the things I can think of right now.

Oh, and a simplified theme (that is simpler key) of theme from Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat Minor.

Gu4n

Started with the Moonlight Sonata (again) today. It's going pretty well.. It's funny to see that my fingers are moving quicker than I read the notes conciously.

The-Real-Link

I'm working on Moonlight Sonata. The first movement is very slow. So it's as hard. (Unless you have trouble with 9ths.) The 3rd movement is insane!

Fur Elise is good. (If you don't know the original version...learn it.)
Umm.... Clementi Sonatinas are good.
If you are brave enough to try J.S. Bach stuff is excellent. It's baroque, not classical.(Trust me...Bach is hard! I'm about to start working on his Prelude and Fugue #3 in C# Major)
Hmm.....I'm learning Venetian Boat Song No. 2 by Mendelssohn. It's very beautiful and not that hard. Why not try that? Agian, not classical. Mendelssohn is Romantical. (It's all the same difference to most people. The period of classification just depends on when it was written.)

Gu4n

It's not hard to hear the differences between music from different periods. Passed my music exam without studying with an A-, haha. =)

The-Real-Link

Quote from: G-Han on April 03, 2008, 08:05:04 AMIt's not hard to hear the differences between music from different periods. Passed my music exam without studying with an A-, haha. =)
I know what you mean. The biggest contrast is Baroque and Romantical! Baroque, of course, being mostly Harpsichord makes a difference in the structure of the music. Romantical is closer to modern, because of their access to modern pianoes. It is also more expressive and is not stuck on specific rules as much as baroque music. (However when it comes to organ music baroque cannot be touched!)

Gu4n

Baroque is also more elaborate, but that goes for its architecture and art, too.