The Will to Go On--Full Story+Afterthoughts

Started by SlowPokemon, November 22, 2010, 07:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrP

in media res is actually a term used in English... like Deus ex Machina

SlowPokemon

Yep (in the middle of the action, god from the machine)

We studied "deus ex machina" this year with Lord of the Flies and "in media res" last year with The Iliad.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

DrP

Im contemplating using deus ex machina in my book... but it's probably gonna make the end suck...

Ill figure something out

Jub3r7

"in media res" is used in English, and translates into "In the middle of things".

Also, I'm almost done with the first chapter of my story.
I thought it was extremely boring, but my dad says the first few paragraphs were interesting... :P
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

SlowPokemon

Biggest mistake: never show anything you write to your father. He will always tell you it's good and he will keep asking to see the rest of it and you will never get a break and he will question the things you write about and it will be a living hell. Kind of.

Goes for either parents. >.>

Actually, I've never shown anything I've written to my dad except for my story "Coulrophobia" that I won the Young Georgia Author's Contest last year with. And that was only because he asked.

Oh yeah, Jub, have you finished your Laws of Life essay yet? :)

Jub3r7

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 20, 2011, 03:32:22 PMBiggest mistake: never show anything you write to your father. He will always tell you it's good and he will keep asking to see the rest of it and you will never get a break and he will question the things you write about and it will be a living hell. Kind of.

Goes for either parents. >.>

Actually, I've never shown anything I've written to my dad except for my story "Coulrophobia" that I won the Young Georgia Author's Contest last year with. And that was only because he asked.

Meh, the computer kicked me off last night before I could save it, and when he had to restart the computer he logged on as me and made sure that I didn't have anything that needed to be saved.

A few minutes later he asks me if I wrote it.

Quote from: Same PersonOh yeah, Jub, have you finished your Laws of Life essay yet? :)
What the heck I never told you abou Oh, you have to do it, too?
Yeah, it's due two Fridays from now... and I haven't started it yet. :P

Probably gonna choose something related to sympathy/consideration.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

SlowPokemon

Mine is due tomorrow, I did it tonight. I'm not sure how it's possible to do this kind of thing without BSing it.

Last year they told us to save ours because we would be able to use it this year. This year they're like "lol write a new one"

SlowPokemon

Rereading this makes me homesick for the written word... I really want to write another story. I just need to be struck by some awesome idea...because no one is reading my other one xD I'm not so sure I want to finish it anyway

DrP

No one is reading mine, so that's why I cancelled it.

If you wanna read something, I put an english essay of mine up on SkyDrive if you wanna read it!

Raymondbl

O_O  I'm one hour late to playing piano :P 

I really liked the story, just the romance in it was really weird (but interesting). 

The only thing I can criticize about this is that sometimes you put in too much detail, such as when the three were in the cave without Flash.  I make this mistsake often, but it's best without it  :D

I still don't completely understand the whole Strange Boy thing, though it was a nice addition. 

Great job!
The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

SlowPokemon

Lol thanks a ton

SlowPokemon

Hmm I kind of want to write some sort of continuation to this...maybe an extra chapter or something...I don't know. I had so much fun writing this.

SlowPokemon

I don't know...I guess I've considered writing a sequel about Aaron but I don't know if that will work quite as well completely focused on him. It might happen though.

I already started an extra chapter that takes place in the coffee shop in Mahogany, roughly one year after the events of the story. Maybe I'll finish and post that at some point.