News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

Q & A With Chad York

Started by SlowPokemon, June 19, 2013, 01:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadyork

How much should a composer charge for working on a project?

That's extremely variable based on style, genre, quality and how fast it has to happen...or other variables like if you're recording real instruments vs sampled.  Also once you have a reputation for delivering or people want "your sound" then pricing can be very different. 

I'd say the average for video games ranges between $1000-3000 per minute.  That includes the master rights buyout.  Simple 4 piece arrangements (pop/rock or synth) being obviously on the cheaper side and full orchestrations on the more expensive side.

The important thing to keep in mind when you're starting out is that you need to get a reel happening.  No one wants to pay top dollar for someone who's never done anything before!!  So you need to be flexible.  I'd suggest working on small indy or startup projects until you get a significant reel together of published works.  Then you can start to leverage you experience to ask for more.  Also asking for points or royalties can work great if you believe that the project will be successful.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Do not ever, under any circumstances work for free.

There is no end to "free" and believe me many projects will go on and on and on...asking for revision after revision as development gets delayed.  Ask for something reasonable for what the project can afford with specifics about what they will get for that and detailed specifics about if they want more.  i.e.  Even if you charge $1 for 20 pieces with up to 3 revisions.  Make sure your contract outlines additional revisions at $X/cue.

Which brings up another point...get a contract in writing.

I hope that answers the question. 

JDMEK5

How might one learn about all the technical things like how to get the music in the game?

Also, I'm not sure if you skipped it on purpose, (which is fine) but in case you missed it, Deku asked a good question I'd like to know too:
Quote from: DekuTrombonist on June 20, 2013, 01:14:56 AMDo you have any advice for those of us here who do some arranging?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

FireArrow

Thanks a ton for doing this! It's really inspiring!

But every time I read this:

Quote from: chadyork on June 20, 2013, 08:31:43 AMYes and yes.  I get around a dozen composer reels a day from people who want to get into video game composition.

It makes me realize how long this road really is...
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

chadyork

How might one learn about all the technical things like how to get the music in the game?

Good one.  There are many ways that music can be implemented in games. There are common 3rd party solutions

Fmod - http://www.fmod.org/
Xact - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff827590.aspx
Wwise - https://www.audiokinetic.com/resources/videos/

Most have tutorials on their sites or on youtube which you can watch.  Also some games are made with proprietary tools that are only used by that developer but the principals are exactly the same in all of them. 

Also, I'm not sure if you skipped it on purpose, (which is fine) but in case you missed it, Deku asked a good question I'd like to know too:

Oops, just missed that one.  I don't think I have any advice specific to arranging.  If you have a specific question I'm happy to try to answer.  But from my experience, not many developers will hire someone just to do arranging.  They usually expect that is part of the composer's bag of tricks and will ask them for any arrangement specifics.  In terms of general advice on improving your arranging abilities I'd say two things, actively listen to as much great music in as many genres as you can and transcribe bits to get inside them to see what makes them tick.

chadyork

Quote from: FireArrow on June 24, 2013, 03:35:47 PMThanks a ton for doing this! It's really inspiring!

But every time I read this:

It makes me realize how long this road really is...

Well, maybe a long road to get the dream gig working on the renouned game franchise you've always wanted to be a part of.  But I'd bet you could find and get involved with a student project or an Indy developer by the end of next week if you really put your mind to it!!  I think if you get doing it you'll be surprized how you can create your own opportunities.

SlowPokemon

What is your favorite instrument to use in your work? I noticed that in Dark Moon, the bass clarinet was used frequently. Was this because it fit the "creepy comedy" aspect, or do you just like that instrument? What about the harp plays when you get an item?

As a side note, I love when a single instrument fits the game so well. It's just like how the alto sax goes through Super Mario 3D Land, or the accordion carries across the Professor Layton series (which is my favorite game series btw!)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

chadyork

What is your favorite instrument to use in your work? I noticed that in Dark Moon, the bass clarinet was used frequently. Was this because it fit the "creepy comedy" aspect, or do you just like that instrument? What about the harp plays when you get an item?

Hmmm, I don't consciously have favourites, but I think I probably have instruments that I gravitate to for specific feelings or emotions...learned associations from a lifetime of watching/listening to films/cartoons.  I often think woodwinds work well for sensitive characters or making scenes more lighthearted, brass sections for action and excitement, etc...

Yeah, I'd say the Bass Clarinet is a classic choice for "creepy comedy" along with Organ.  Yup, harp too, especially those major7#5 and diminished arpeggios are very textbook.

SlowPokemon

Hey, do you guys think we should post this on the site? I'd be happy to compile everything together.

Waddle Bro

I was literally just thinking today about PMing you about this.

You never seize to amaze me, SlowPokemon. i think seize is the word, might be wrong

SlowPokemon

It'd be "cease" but they sound the same :)

TheZeldaPianist275

That's not a bad idea at all.  Be great publicity.

Also, Mr. York, Slow just arranged one of your songs  ::)