News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Freeze or burn?

Started by Cobraroll, January 22, 2011, 02:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At which temperature would you rather go camping?

+40 C with 80% humidity
10 (50%)
-40 C and a strong breeze
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Cobraroll

There has been some discussion of this subject around on the forums, and I figured out I might as well make a poll about it.

Say, you're going camping for a week. Tenting, to be more specific. And of course, the weather is extreme. You have to stay outside and do easy work (say, doing weather measuring) for about ten continous hours a day. You have ample food, clothes and fuel, but you have to walk some distance to fetch water. In what temperature would you rather do it?

+40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit), with 80% humidity and equally long days and nights (Equatorial savannah)
or -40 degrees Celsius/Fahrenheit with a strong breeze and twice as much darkness as daylight (Arctic winter)?

In short, do you believe extreme heat or extreme cold is most uncomfortable?

Myself, I have experienced the winter, but not the heat. Still, I believe working in the heat would be a breeze provided you had enough water, and some shade. Cold, on the other hand... -25 is horrible enough, and 40 would be outright lethal. You have to balance your clothing perfectly, or you'll end up freezing (sweating is a BAD thing when it's cold). Your fingers and toes are always numb from cold. Stay in motion, or you'll regret you stopped. Clothing restricts movement, and never mind going to the toilet...

Your thoughts?
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Winter

Lived in Alaska for 6 years, -40 FTW

Dude

Eye could probably withstand -40C...

universe-X

^Which eye?

I'd rather go camping in +40 degree temperatures. By myself or with 1 friend I trust, because I don't like a lot of people seeing me... sweaty :P

Winter

is +40 SERIOUSLY hot to you???

SlowPokemon

I can clearly remember certain times I've been so bone-chilled cold, the wind stinging my face, and just being so miserable I wanted to die.

I cannot remember a single time, no matter how hot it's been, that I have been even the least bit uncomfortable. 'nuff said.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

universe-X

Quote from: winterkid09 on January 22, 2011, 04:58:54 PMis +40 SERIOUSLY hot to you???
I didn't switch it to Fahrenheit, so I just assumed, lol.

Quote from: SlowPokemon (rephrased) on January 22, 2011, 05:41:24 PMI cannot remember a single time that I have been even the least bit uncomfortable.
So you're saying you've been comfortable your whole life? [/grammar nazi]

Dude

universe-X

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 22, 2011, 05:41:24 PMI can clearly remember certain times I've been so bone-chilled cold, the wind stinging my face, and just being so miserable I wanted to die.

I cannot remember a single time, no matter how hot it's been, that I have been even the least bit uncomfortable in heat. 'nuff said.

Fixed, universe-x, you jerk.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

jake3343

In case anyone is lazy, -40C = -40F and 40C = 104F.

I'd rather be in 40C, as I get cold a LOT more easily than I get hot.

Saria

Humidity makes people stink. Especially if you have to sit next to fat people on the subway. So -40 C. :D
Quote from: Slow
SARIABALL
Quote from: manio
I love taking wiener schnitzel in my mouth
Quote from: Kefka
cooperating anal
Quote from: ZeldaFanmy dream is to get a quote in someone's sig someday

Maretocks

It's the humidity that made me go -40C. I've waited for the bus in 40C with a strong breeze. The air was dry as hell though. And on the walk up there my throat felt dry. It was ten times more bearable than hot, sticky weather. Shade would do nothing if the air was hot. Humidity...Gah. No. Anything but that. :P
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

Winter

Quote from: jake3343 on January 22, 2011, 07:52:23 PMIn case anyone is lazy, -40C = -40F and 40C = 104F.

I'd rather be in 40C, as I get cold a LOT more easily than I get hot.

I thought the physics of temperature change were the same for everyone.

KefkaticFanatic

When it's cold, you can stack layers.

When it's hot, you just go "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu".

me irl
[close]