News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

Freeze or burn?

Started by Cobraroll, January 22, 2011, 02:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At which temperature would you rather go camping?

+40 C with 80% humidity
10 (50%)
-40 C and a strong breeze
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Ruto

I've experienced +40C but not -40C so I can't really say too much. I would definitely have more trouble staying warm at my current state though.

Quote from: winterkid09 on January 23, 2011, 05:23:05 AMI thought the physics of temperature change were the same for everyone.

Only Kelvin [K] is absolute.

212 F = 100 C
104 F = 40 C
32 F = 0 C
-40 F = -40 C

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Winter

Quote from: Ruto on January 23, 2011, 07:00:46 AMI've experienced +40C but not -40C so I can't really say too much. I would definitely have more trouble staying warm at my current state though.

Only Kelvin [K] is absolute.

212 F = 100 C
104 F = 40 C
32 F = 0 C
-40 F = -40 C

I mean if 2 people of equal weight and the same clothing were sitting in identical chairs in identical rooms that were getting colder, one couldn't control the rate at which their temperature decreases.

Ruto

C= 5/9 * (deg F) -32. What happens to the graph?

Quote from: winterkid09 on January 23, 2011, 07:03:45 AMI mean if 2 people of equal weight and the same clothing were sitting in identical chairs in identical rooms that were getting colder, one couldn't control the rate at which their temperature decreases.
Temperature would decrease at the same rate for same bodies actually. I don't remember the equation at the top of my head, but bodies have a lot more factors affecting heat loss/etc than a cup of coffee which are harder to measure than just from weight/clothing.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Saria

Quote from: Slow
SARIABALL
Quote from: manio
I love taking wiener schnitzel in my mouth
Quote from: Kefka
cooperating anal
Quote from: ZeldaFanmy dream is to get a quote in someone's sig someday

Winter

I was implying that the factors were all the same
Quote from: jake3343 on January 22, 2011, 07:52:23 PMIn case anyone is lazy, -40C = -40F and 40C = 104F.

I'd rather be in 40C, as I get cold a LOT more easily than I get hot.

I was really tired when I quoted this the first time, I think I meant that I don't think that he's different from anyone else as far as the rate of which he get's colder compared to the rate he gets warmer.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on January 23, 2011, 06:44:46 AMWhen it's cold, you can stack layers.

When it's hot, you just go "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu".

True, when it's cold you can always get warmer... it's not so easy to cool down.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Winter

Really? I'd rather be hot and jump in a cold pool than be cold and jump in a hot pool, owwww

GaryOak

About a year ago when I was in military we went camping and it were -27 Celsius with strong breeze. There were moments when we just couldn't move at all and it was SO cold. I felt so cold that all I could think was "I want this to be overaarrrgghh!". Every minute felt like an hour and it never ended. I wouldn't be surprised if I still were there, lying in one stupid foxhole and shivering with cold. So, after all it was only -27 so I guess I couldn't take the -40 so I'd rather have the +40.
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

universe-X

Quote from: Ruto on January 23, 2011, 07:19:34 AMTemperature would decrease at the same rate for same bodies actually. I don't remember the equation at the top of my head, but bodies have a lot more factors affecting heat loss/etc than a cup of coffee which are harder to measure than just from weight/clothing.
It actually has a little more to do with endurance/adaption, imo.

For example, I come from Pennsylvania, and I have a friend that lived in the North for a majority of her life time. She is skinny. And when I say skinny, I'm talking maybe 5% body fat, that's how she looks. (80 pounds, 5'2", iirc). Anyways, even with her stature, she can wear 2 shirts and a pair of jeans and say "It's not that cold." in 0 C while someone else that's 150 pounds and 5'6" complains about it because he's been living in the South for a majority of his life.

David Blaine could also probably live in extreme cold temperatures because he's trained for things of that nature.

Cobraroll

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 23, 2011, 07:31:15 AMTrue, when it's cold you can always get warmer... it's not so easy to cool down.

Drench yourself. Water evaporates => uses energy => you get colder. Recommended if your clothes can stand it.

And stacking layers when you are cold doesn't work too well in practise. First of all, once you start sweating, you're done for. Your inner garments keep the moisture, which sap heat from your body so it can evaporate. Second, it's not your clothes that keep the warmth, it's the layers of air between them. If your body can't warm up the inner layers, there's no help in adding outer layers. Once your inner garment gets wet, you'll have to swap it, or stay cold/freeze to death. If you don't move, so you don't start sweating, you don't produce as much heat either. Enter the windchill, and you're out. By the way, your feet produce sweat at any temperature anyway, so you're doomed to be cold on your feet if you don't move.

Then there's the "hate" factor. You see, once you become cold enough, you become sluggish. You move slowly, and act like you're half asleep (usually called "hate mode" in the Norwegian military). Even the simplest of tasks seems like a huge chore, and you stop caring about anything. Enter that mode, and you've got a foot inside the door to a downward spiral which ends in severe hypothermia (usually followed by death). It's a bit like dehydration in the heat, but a lot colder.

Frostbites are other nasty things. At -40 and windchill, bare skin will be frozen within two minutes. If you touch metal with your bare skin, it will only take seconds (yes, you can see the frostbites spreading, and no, it's not pleasant). Fun fact: frostbites never heal completely.

In short, I'd take the heat any day.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

fabbemannen

If it was +40 I would be happy! I would just relax outside ;) If it was -40 I would be in bed with a cold

SuperFireKirby

Well I have camped when it was about 35°C with about 80% humidity, and while that was no fun it would certainly be better than -40°. At least my hands would function properly at +40°C. So yeah, combining my experience with heat and Cobra's experience with cold, my conclusion is that I'd definitely go with heat.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Jub3r7

I... prefer the cold... but I'm sort of used to temperatures around 104 degrees.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Jub3r7 on January 23, 2011, 04:36:16 PMI... prefer the cold...

No offense to you, but you are FROM Georgia and therefore have no idea what cold is. Even with recent temperatures. You have no idea. So you don't completely count. Nothing against you personally. xD
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: Cobraroll on January 23, 2011, 09:06:58 AM[BEING COLD WILL FUCK YOU OVER]

Well, when I say "cold", I mean nothing below 0F.  I usually don't go walking around Alaska or whatever.

me irl
[close]