Spelling Errors, Wrong Links, Corrupted/Missing Files - OLD THREAD

Started by Winter, February 13, 2011, 11:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonValentino

The songs "Enchanted Woods" and "Forest Interlude" are the same song. Someone please remove the "Enchanted Woods" sheet because it's old, it doesn't have the official title and its horribly formatted.

Winter: Taken care of.

comingaflame

Although technically we have correct titles all over the place over in the Super Smash Bros. section, I think the songs on the page should consistently be labeled with at least the series name they belong to like they are everywhere else they list the Smash Bros. soundtrack (although we have different people listing game name/series name/franchise name). Although this is already implemented in such entries as "The Legend of Zelda Dark World" (specifically from A Link to the Past), we still have stuff labeled "Bramble Blast" which is not necessarily evocative of Donkey Kong Country (2) to the non-nerd, and I'm too scared to click on anything labeled simply "Main Theme" (from Zelda? from Mario? from Brawl itself?). We could also add a note to cameo songs such as the MM7 Alt Shade Man Theme (which is really the Ghosts n' Goblins (a completely different franchise) theme in disguise (which is a really nerdy thing to know), and one of the best available sheets of it too): although to be honest this is the only "both valid in-game music and also a remix of something completely different" song I can think of outside of the Smash Bros. page. Who's with me? And who's against me?
Dear Mr Hempel,
This is the internet. They are just putting up with The Sandman while waiting for you to unleash the talking pastry.
- Neil Gaiman

So let me show you another good trick that I know.
   - The Cat in the Hat

Shadoninja

Quote from: comingaflame on June 12, 2012, 11:23:07 PMAlthough technically we have correct titles all over the place over in the Super Smash Bros. section, I think the songs on the page should consistently be labeled with at least the series name they belong to like they are everywhere else they list the Smash Bros. soundtrack (although we have different people listing game name/series name/franchise name). Although this is already implemented in such entries as "The Legend of Zelda Dark World" (specifically from A Link to the Past), we still have stuff labeled "Bramble Blast" which is not necessarily evocative of Donkey Kong Country (2) to the non-nerd, and I'm too scared to click on anything labeled simply "Main Theme" (from Zelda? from Mario? from Brawl itself?). We could also add a note to cameo songs such as the MM7 Alt Shade Man Theme (which is really the Ghosts n' Goblins (a completely different franchise) theme in disguise (which is a really nerdy thing to know), and one of the best available sheets of it too): although to be honest this is the only "both valid in-game music and also a remix of something completely different" song I can think of outside of the Smash Bros. page. Who's with me? And who's against me?
If they exist, soundtrack names are law.

Main theme should be properly labelled as "Super Smash Bros. Brawl Main Theme"
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music24_list.html
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

comingaflame

To restate, more specifically: Anyone with the power to do so, please rename all of the songs listed hereafter so that the game name is included in parenthesis with the words "Originally From:" after the song title, or provide a reasonable reason otherwise: Hyrule Castle is from The Legend of Zelda (the original NES game, I mean), Saffron City is from Pokemon (obvs.), Bramble Blast is from Donkey Kong Country 2 (Is it bad that I know all these off the top of my head?), the Shade Man Alt Theme is from Ghosts n' Goblins (look under the Mega Man page), Dialga/Palkia Battle... is from Pokemon, again, Final Destination is original to Brawl and doesn't need explained, the Fire Emblem Theme likewise unless redundancy is considered absolutely necessary, someone else actually had the sense to label the Ground Theme (thank you Nana1Popo2), King Dedede's Theme is from Kirby's Dream Land, Main Theme should be labeled "Super Smash Bros. Brawl Main Theme", Ocarina Medley should be labeled as from Ocarina of Time just in case, "The Legend of Zelda Dark World" should be relabeled "Dark World Overworld (Originally From: A Link to the Past), "The Roost (Two Pianos)" should be indicated as coming from Animal Crossing: Wild World (and we should really figure out whether we're going to say "Two Pianos" or "Duet" (I lean towards "Duet"; much fancier)), and I'm fresh out because the Melee songs don't have a website (unless someone wants to go through the old Japanese-only website here (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/)) and all I can give from here one series names that everyone knows because I'm too lazy to check every individual game in the series for that particular theme. People looking to burn some time: here is your chance. Or you could just know this stuff. (Are there people nerdier more game-knowledge-intensive than I am? Hard to imagine.)
Dear Mr Hempel,
This is the internet. They are just putting up with The Sandman while waiting for you to unleash the talking pastry.
- Neil Gaiman

- The Cat in the Hat

The Deku Trombonist

Duet is used for 2 people on 1 piano. Two Pianos...well...you get the idea ;)

As for renaming, if you can put together a nicely ordered list, I'll consider it when I do the next update (renaming takes a while).

Shadoninja

Quote from: comingaflame on June 14, 2012, 11:31:59 PMstuff
I refuse to let anyone append that to the song title. You can add a note somewhere on the sheet, but you should not do it for the song title.

I'm going through the pokemon section to correct song titles.

Pokemon Black/White
Wikipedia page for cross referencing.

There was some debate for the naming of the battle themes, so I decided to keep with tradition and go with "Battle! [blank]". So, yes, even VGMDB can be inaccurate.

Name on Site - Soundtrack Name

Alder's Theme - Champion Alder
Elite Four Battle - Battle! Elite Four
Emotion - Unwavering Emotions
Legendary Battle - Battle! Legendary Pokémon
N's Room - N, the Pokémon Child
Plasma Grunt Battle - Battle! Team Plasma
Rival Battle - Battle! Cheren/Bianca
Route 3 - Route 2 (seasons ambiguous)
Team Plasma Castle - N's Castle
Undella Town (Fall/Winter/Spring) - Undella Town (Fall-Spring)

More to come.

comingaflame

Ah, controversy! As far as I can tell, the name of the game gives as much information about the song as its title, and the absence of such a landmark can lead to confusion aplenty among anyone who isn't as intimately familiar with game soundtracks as those elites who run sites such as this one - I myself failed to recognize "The Roost" and "Together, We Ride". Any casual gamer coming to this site (which is more and more likely with the Wii and all that) stands a fair chance at being confused by simple names, and you can just feel the troublesome sort of atmosphere that settles down around you when you realize you have to click on a dozen links individually to have a fair chance at figuring out what's around you (and also that sounds like it would be harder to manage from an administrative standpoint too). THEREFORE, I stand by my request, and also because I've been given no reason not to. Mr. Shadoninja my have a good reason for responding, to an innocent request, with the cold hard words I refuse, but he had better have it, and give it, and there's probably no way we'll get this settled by next update.

Continuing on anyway, so I have something to do with what I have:

Your list, Mr. Trombonist! All the songs are prefaced by the series they belong to, as they are in the most official source we've got (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/index.html), and which I have adopted for the other games too.

Hyrule Castle -> The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Castle
Saffron City -> Pokémon: Saffron City
Bramble Blast -> Donkey Kong Country: Bramble Blast
Dialga/Palkia Battle at Spear Pillar! -> Pokémon: Dialga/Palkia Battle at Spear Pillar!
Fire Emblem Theme -> Fire Emblem: Fire Emblem Theme (I know, redundant, but offiiicial soundtracks are laa-w)
Ground Theme (Super Mario Bros.) -> Super Mario Bros.: Ground Theme
King Dedede's Theme -> Kirby: King Dedede's Theme
Main Theme -> Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Main Theme
Ocarina Medley -> The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Medley
Subspace Emissary - Overworld -> Subspace Emissary: Overworld
The Legend of Zelda Dark World -> The Legend of Zelda: Dark World
The Roost (Two Pianos) -> Animal Crossing: The Roost (Two Pianos)
Big Blue -> F-Zero: Big Blue
Brinstar -> Metroid: Brinstar
Corneria -> Star Fox: Corneria
Dreamland -> Kirby: Dreamland
Fever -> Dr. Mario: Fever
Fire Emblem Theme -> Fire Emblem: Fire Emblem Theme (Again, but they're different, I checked)
Flatzone -> Game & Watch: Flatzone
Fountain of Dreams -> Kirby: Fountain of Dreams
Hyrule Temple -> The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Temple
Onett -> Mother: Onett
Opening -> Super Smash Bros. Melee: Opening
Together, We Ride! (Two Pianos) -> Fire Emblem: Together, We Ride! (Two Pianos)

I very much hope I have ruined no one's day.
Dear Mr Hempel,
- Neil Gaiman

- The Cat in the Hat

Taser9090

This went unnoticed: two game sections in the Fire Emblem category should be combined.
The two sections, Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword are the same game.

I know it can be confusing, because this was the first international release of the game. I suppose it would be difficult to choose the appropriate name for the section.
The names can either be:
  • Fire Emblem (The actual name of the international release)
  • Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword (The literal, but unofficial, translation of the Japanese name)
  • Fire Emblem: The Sword of Flame (The name given by the official Japanese Fire Emblem website)

I'm not sure which name the admin/mod will decide, but I'm suggesting that (FE6) should be put right after the title to avoid confusion.

Winter: Fixed, I made it simple Fire Emblem. Thanks for your input.

"They say money makes the world go 'round. And what goes around, comes around" ~Rover

FSM-Reapr

I noticed that B-Kpianist's "Planetarium" in Super Mario Galaxy, should really be "Comet Observatory"(that's it's official name). I was really confused that where's Comet Observatory?!

Winter: Fixed! Thanks for noticing.

Shadoninja

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Hydrocity Zone Act 2
Name on the site is "Commander6" but the sheet says "Erich Goeckeritz". I'm 90% certain that they are not the same person.

Winter: Fixed. That was weird.

Bespinben

On the main site, DekuTrombonist's arrangement of "Kalimari Desert" from Mario Kart 64 has a tempo marking of 250 quarter notes per minute. I don't think metronomes even click that fast. To correct that, I suggest putting the song in cut time and specify the tempo as 125 half notes per minute. Also, the left hand ostinato is really low most of the time, so I'd recommend implementing a 8vb bass clef there.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on September 12, 2012, 10:05:08 AMTo correct that, I suggest putting the song in cut time and specify the tempo as 125 half notes per minute.
Well, don't put it in cut time if it actually is in common. I think it is actually in common time, 125 bpm, and the note values have to be changed.
(16th notes in the left hand)

The reason I think it's common not cut, is that if you count the measures for each time at the end of the phrase at about 00:11, the common time has a hold of two measures, while the cut has four. Four measure ties in the middle of songs is extremely rare.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Bespinben

I did actually think of suggesting to half all the note values (8ths to 16ths etc), but that's ALOT of work for Deku, since there's nothing in Finale that lets you do that in mass. Stating cut time and 125 half notes per minutes still gets the point across about the beat.

Still, I do agree with you. The ideal form of this sheet would be 125 quarters per minute in 4/4 with 16ths in the bass.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on September 12, 2012, 11:06:17 AMI did actually think of suggesting to half all the note values (8ths to 16ths etc), but that's ALOT of work for Deku.
Well yeah, that would have to be a replacement.
Doing what you suggested isn't really making it more accurate, if you know what I mean. It's more like "pushing it under the rug".
Doing the easy thing even though it doesn't really fix the issue; just changes it. It's still inaccurate, just not to the same degree.

Maybe go ahead, but it should be replaced if it's going to be fixed altogether.

Sorry if it sounded like I was slamming the idea down; I was just getting my point across.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Bespinben

Quote from: JDMEK5 on September 12, 2012, 11:50:40 AMIt's more like "pushing it under the rug".
Sorry if it sounded like I was slamming the idea down; I was just getting my point across.

Oh no no no, I totally get what you mean.

...actually, I think if you have FL Studio, you can work some magic with the note durations in mass, or something like that. Shado did something like that when Bubbles wrote a 12/8 song in 4/4.