News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Requesting Replacements

Started by Cobraroll, June 05, 2011, 01:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobraroll

Browsing the site, you can often come across songs arranged in our early days, when the arrangers were few and inexperienced, and the songs can be described as mediocre - at best. However, many of our arrangers only see that the song is arranged, and thus don't bother to arrange themselves - the song already is on site, so why care?

So I thought a topic for requesting replacements could be useful. Let's face it, some of our songs need to be replaced, as the current ones are just ugly. Post requests, and I'll update this first post. Remember to put in a reason why you want it to be replaced.

For a start, here are my requests:
[SNES] - Donkey Kong Country - "Jungle Swing" - the current version of this song doesn't do it justice at all. The bass line is lacking, and it all lacks the "oomph" of the original.

[N64] - Super Mario 64 - "Hazy Maze Cave" - While this is one of our easiest arrangements and great for beginners, it only plays a fraction of the song - and not very accurately at that.

[SNES] - Earthbound - "Twoson" - "the beginning (...) doesn't seem to quite matche with the real one... "
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Winter

Shadoninja

I actually have a ton of replacement sheets in the works.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

fizzwizz

the beginning of Twoson for Earthbound doesn't seem to quite matche with the real one...
"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack"

Shadoninja

I'll take jungle swing, also I think we should make this something similar or better than the fulfilling the requests project, if possible.

WiiMan96

Quote from: Shadoninja on June 05, 2011, 09:57:04 PMI think we should make this something similar or better than the fulfilling the requests project, if possible.

Yeah, that kinda...died. xD I'm updating it soon, but please let me know what you think it needs so it's effective in what it aims to do.
Though I agree we need a place to request replacements so we can prioritise what needs to be redone.

The Deku Trombonist

Shadoninja

Quote from: WiiMan96 on June 06, 2011, 12:04:54 AMYeah, that kinda...died. xD I'm updating it soon, but please let me know what you think it needs so it's effective in what it aims to do.
Though I agree we need a place to request replacements so we can prioritise what needs to be redone.
well ultimately both projects need to give people incentives or some kind of reward. I wouldn't know what kind of reward, other than the points system that you have, we would use considering no one's getting paid to do this. I wouldn't know how to improve activity in your fulfilling the requests project. I arrange because it's fun, whether it's a song I really want to play, helping out with replacements, or perusing the request board. ultimately, I think finishing requests and replacing outdated sheets are equally important.

(I just kind of typed out whatever came to mind as I was going along so it may or may not string together)

WiiMan96

Well, I did have what I thought was a fairly effective incentive program (not saying what ;) ) I worked out with Nintendude what must have been a year or two ago. Maybe I'll be able to get it started with Deku sometime. *hint hint, glares at Deku*
Though it's good you don't feel you need an incentive, though with some people, though they want to help out and enjoy it, they need that extra nudge and encouragement to act on it. :)

And yeah, replacements and requests are almost opposites that go hand in hand (like you have extreme left and right in government etc. - as Cobraroll or someone as saying elsewhere they kinda join up into a circle and are very similar). Perhaps a more structured Fixing the Sheets project similar to the requests one would be helpful?

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: WiiMan96 on June 06, 2011, 12:39:28 AMWell, I did have what I thought was a fairly effective incentive program (not saying what ;) ) I worked out with Nintendude what must have been a year or two ago. Maybe I'll be able to get it started with Deku sometime. *hint hint, glares at Deku*

I'm a little lost about this rewards thing at the moment. Yes, I do remember discussing it, but I'm not sure what arrangers are going to be able to use their accumulated points on.

WiiMan96

Originally the plan was extra submissions and 'special updates' dedicated to an arranger, but these are all sheets-based and were made when the site was hardly updated - it isn't too relevant anymore (and only encourages those who arrange a lot anyway - hardly the targeted audience here). We'd probably need to incorporate other rewards, but yeah, I'm not too sure either unfortunately.

Anyone else have an idea? :P