Greg's Arrangements (12/3/2020 Paper Mario TOK: Vellumental Battle)

Started by Greg, March 13, 2011, 02:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDMEK5

Holy crap!!  :o
Your cosmic mario is AMAZING!!!
It would be a crazy shame if it gets rejected.

Nice job!!  :P
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Greg

Glad you like it  :D

The SMG Main theme is pretty tough... I'm only done the intro, and it took me about 1.5 hours...  :P

EDIT: Made some fixes to the PIT battle theme, now ready for submission!

Greg

Ok, I haven't posted here in way too long.

So, I've added the 80% finished SMG Main Theme!

I figure that as long as I'm still working on it, I might as well get feedback.

However, Finale's been buggy lately and I can't add expressions.  :-\ So it might be awhile before I actually finish.

Sekter77

I can't vouch for the accuracy of your SMG arrangement yet, but I do have some other tips.
A siimple formatting thing to fix is to change the way you notate some of the rhythms. There's a lot of places where you use two dotted quarter notes followed by a regular quarter note. You need to fix the second note by making it an eighth note tied to a quarter note. I know it may seem tedious, but it really helps with readability. Just remember not to cover up any downbeats (Beats 1 and 3).
Also, a lot of things seem kind of unplayable, like the section where you have a whole bunch of 32nd notes in a bass part for a couple measures. I know accuracy is important, but you may want to consider just making them 16th notes instead.

One more suggestion: you may want to consider making some of your arrangements for one player as well. All you'd have to do is just combine parts or drop unnecessary parts so you can fit all the important stuff in two staves. It is allowed to have duets and one player arrangements so you might want to do that for those who either can't or don't want to play a duet.
Guitar and video games.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: gzgregory on May 11, 2011, 09:57:47 AMOk, I haven't posted here in way too long.

So, I've added the 80% finished SMG Main Theme!

What do you mean by "main theme"?
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Greg

The point of the 32nds is just to imply "play as fast as possible".

And thanks for the other suggestions. I'll get around to making single piano arrangements once I finish this.

SP, that's what it's called. :P It's pretty much the main motive of sorts. Not sure where it appears in the game though.  :-\

SlowPokemon

Umm... there is no song called "main theme." Are you referring to the overture that plays on the title screen?

SlowPokemon

...THAT'S THE FREAKING CREDITS THEME

It's simply called "Super Mario Galaxy" and I wanted to arrange it D: Whatever, though, I am sure you can do it better... it's already on the site as a duet.

Greg

Wait... seriously?

I've always seen it called "main theme" O.O

Oh well.

Oritendo

I like all of your New Super Mario Bros. arrangements.  :)

Greg

Wow it's been like 3 months.

Anyways I finally got something done.

[Wii]New Super Mario Bros. Wii-Credits (2 pianos) MUS MID PDF

Feedback please!

pumpy_heart

Good to know you're back to arranging!
The NSMB Wii Credits sound nice. Good job.
In the opening measures, you use dotted eighth followed by sixteenth. Unless the opening is that metric while the rest of the song swings, these notes could be noted quarter triplet followed by eighth triplet.
In measure 22, since the quarter notes move down chromatically by half step, it would be better to use Db/Ab. That would give you a smoother, easier line to read of D-Db-C and A-Ab-G. And since the chromatic line in measure 35-36 is moving up by halfstep, it would be better to spell the chromatic pitch with a sharp. Thus the line G-G#-A would appear in piano 1's treble and bass clef.
In measure 52, spell the Eb eighth note as an Eb as well. Then in measure 68,  stick with E natural and G#, but change the eighth note again to Eb and G. This just shows the major thirds occur there. It's possible to notate them as D# in measure 52, then as D# and Fx in measure 68. I kinda like the second one more, since it shows that these chromatic notes move towards the E and G# instead of vice versa. But I suppose it's up to you. Don't need naturals on the second notation though.
For all that I just said, be sure to check when it happens again in the piece. Most of this repeats. It could be nice to have a first and second ending if you can find out where they would go.
The last thing I have to say is that most of the time, one piano's hand goes untouched. Sometimes, this piano has the melody. It is entirely possible to double the melody an octave above or below (whichever fits the situation) or split the melody between the two pianos (in octaves, preferably; unisons on occasion). It'd be ideal to add another line, but if the piece does not have other lines at that point, a doubled melody saves a player's hand from going unplayed.
Keep on arranging. Can't wait to see what else you have in store.

Greg

Bump!

Bowser's Inside Story: Boss
MUS

Now to fix the NSMBW credits. Computer breaking ftw. >_>

spitllama

Wow serious bump. Nice.

Can't speak to the playability on that one though lol.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012