News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Hayao Miyazaki

Started by kirby_superstar, April 12, 2011, 09:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirby_superstar

This side of the forum looks a little dead, HOWEVER--I don't care.

Anyway, I wanted to ask, what's your favourite Hayao Miyazaki film? Do you know who he is? Does he inspire you?
What do you like about his movies? Are they standard Japanese fare? Are they amazing? Anything else to say?

In response to the above questions...I think I'd have to say Howl's Moving Castle, despite loving Spirited Away. I have been planning on watching Gauche The Cellist and Grave of the Fireflies though, so maybe I'll make up my mind then. Also, he does in fact inspire me. That man has a way with storytelling and attention to detail that's unique and magic. His movies make me feel like a little kid or like I'm in love with something fantastic. Sometimes I have a wall when suggesting that someone watch one of the movies with or without me and only because it's "anime". Of course, I've yet to meet someone who doesn't enjoy at least one of them...or two or three. ;) hahaha
The movies are hardly what we colloquially refer to as anime. They're much more akin to animated films. Not feature-length cartoons.
*sigh* I was bored so I watched Kiki's Delivery Service with my brother. It's a cute movie. Not as dense as the others or as deep or complex--but great nonetheless. C:

Maybe I've started a conversation! Well? :D

EDIT: I should probably give so accreditation to Studio Ghibli too. Come on, they make it happen. They're amazing.
x = y + 1. Where x = current post count, and y = previous post count.

SlowPokemon

Spirited Away is my absolute favorite, though for a period of time Howl's Moving Castle was my favorite... btw Miyazaki didn't do Grave of the Fireflies or Gauche, that was Takahata.

Anyway my favorites in order are probably:
1. Spirited Away
2. Howl's Moving Castle
3. Ponyo
4. My Neighbor Totoro
5. Kiki's Delivery Service
6. Castle in the Sky

...I have yet to see Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, or Nausicaa... :-/

Anyway check out my comments about Joe Hisaishi in the soundtrack thread in the music department.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

HugoMeister

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke, beautiful films.

Though I have to say, in the latter, Billy Bob Thorton as Jigo annoyed the hell out of me.

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: HugoMeister on April 13, 2011, 05:40:51 PMHowl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke, beautiful films.
Those and Ponyo are the only Miyazaki films I've seen. (Besides pieces of Totoro)  Really like the first two, not as much Ponyo :P

Oh, and I've only seen them in Japanese with English subtitles cause I've only seen them when we've watched them in Japanese class xD

me irl
[close]

kirby_superstar

I wasn't sure about Gauche or Fireflies to be honest, ahaha. However, I mentioned them for Studio Ghibli. BUT, really I guess should have given all the credit to Studio Ghibli anyway. If I remember correctly, Miyazaki and Takahata found it together. But you're right Takahata definitely was the chief director of those movies and deserves the honour. In any case, I still need to see them! >.<

Princess Mononoke is fantastic. I believe that there's a noticeably different flavour than the other ones, but obviously all the familiar and heartwarming themes. In terms of creatures that make me squeal with delight they offer the kodama. The first time I saw the movie I remember laughing until I was in stitches when I saw them. Something about their little empty faces really gets me.

I haven't seen Ponyo yet, unfortunately. But I plan on watching it soon. I own all of them, but I don't own all the time in the world. I hear Nausicaa is fantastic, of course, that comes as no surprise. xD

@Kefkatic, the English dubs are respectable. I like how they weren't completely butchered to "protect the innocence" of American values, à la Sailor Moon. I know more than a few people that scratch their heads in shock at the bathing scene in Totoro, lol.

@Slow, I will bring myself there immediately.

@Hugo, I kinda feel that way about Kirsten Dunst as Kiki but ESPECIALLY about Haku played by the same guy who played Tino Tonatini in The Weekenders.
x = y + 1. Where x = current post count, and y = previous post count.