News:

Subscribe to our Twitch Channel!

Main Menu

Damn it.

Started by Brassman388, May 06, 2011, 02:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brassman388

I've started a piece using straight eighths and need it to go into swing. I've tried all sorts of tricks but they don't seem to work.

DrP

have you tried selecting the swing expression... shown here.

Brassman388

Yes. It didn't work.

Greg

Is the problem in all parts?

The swing needs to be an expression attached to each staff you want swing rhythm in.

For example, when I want swing in more than one staff, I made a new invisible expression that worked the same way a swing expression does and attached it to all staves.

DrP

Also, try making a new document with that as the main expression, then copy what you already have into the new document.

Shadoninja

you need to change human playback to jazz.

instructions in finale 2011:

at the top in the midi/audio menu, go to human playback and then to jazz.
alternatively, next to where you change the tempo in the playback controls toolbar, there's a speaker icon that will take you to the playback settings window and you can change the human playback style there.

extra info: you can change the type of swing below the human playback style.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Brassman388

Will I be able to turn it back after the section with swing ends? It's only a few bars that I need the swing in.

Also, thanks for the much help. I greatly appreciate it.

Shadoninja

if you only need it for a section, you'll need to insert the swing expression and make sure the playback settings in the expression designer are set to type: swing and effect: set to value 100.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Brassman388

I'm guessing you're running on Finale 2011. I'm still running on Finale 2009. I'm working on attempting to upgrade, like, right now.