News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

The Hobbit

Started by Saria, January 06, 2013, 08:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the hottest Dwarf?

Dwalin
0 (0%)
Balin
1 (6.7%)
Fili
1 (6.7%)
Kili
4 (26.7%)
Oin
0 (0%)
Gloin
0 (0%)
Dori
0 (0%)
Nori
0 (0%)
Ori
1 (6.7%)
Bifur
0 (0%)
Bofur
0 (0%)
Bombur
5 (33.3%)
Thorin
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Dudeman

Quote from: Ruto on December 03, 2015, 10:10:37 AMIf they didn't add Tauriel and Galadriel, there would be almost no women in the movies. Don't think that would go over well with an audience.
Women in the LotR trilogy: Galadriel, Arwen, Eowyn. (Rosie Cotton too if you really decide to stretch.) I mean, sure, Eowyn's whole "I am no man" thing is badass, but the presence of only three significant females didn't seem to ruin the trilogy's success.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Ruto

Quote from: Dudeman on December 03, 2015, 10:16:35 AMWomen in the LotR trilogy: Galadriel, Arwen, Eowyn. (Rosie Cotton too if you really decide to stretch.) I mean, sure, Eowyn's whole "I am no man" thing is badass, but the presence of only three significant females didn't seem to ruin the trilogy's success.

It's ironic that you don't seem to notice the difference between female/woman. Might want to fix that before a teacher or professor slaps you.

It's the movie I'm talking about, which another medium. If you want to appeal to the young people, you might want to try making a more inclusive world. Would anyone watch Avengers if there were zero women in it (at least think of the men who didn't come to see their asses beaten in looks/brains/ninja stealth/strength...).

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Dudeman

Quote from: Ruto on December 03, 2015, 05:57:30 PMIt's ironic that you don't seem to notice the difference between female/woman. Might want to fix that before a teacher or professor slaps you.
Does anyone else know what she means?
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Ruto on December 03, 2015, 05:57:30 PMIt's the movie I'm talking about, which another medium. If you want to appeal to the young people, you might want to try making a more inclusive world.
Well, that depends if you're willing to potentially butcher an author's work just to be more "inclusive." Though, to be fair, I think most of the criticisms towards the Hobbit films have to do with the fact that they tried to cram too much of everything into the films.

QuoteWould anyone watch Avengers if there were zero women in it (at least think of the men who didn't come to see their asses beaten in looks/brains/ninja stealth/strength...).
Considering how many women have been Avengers in the comics (including Wasp as one of the founding members), that isn't exactly a perfect comparison (and especially considering the ever-changing nature of comics; in continuity, the film series is a separate universe in itself).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

Quote from: Ruto on December 03, 2015, 05:57:30 PMIt's ironic that you don't seem to notice the difference between female/woman. Might want to fix that before a teacher or professor slaps you.

It's the movie I'm talking about, which another medium. If you want to appeal to the young people, you might want to try making a more inclusive world. Would anyone watch Avengers if there were zero women in it (at least think of the men who didn't come to see their asses beaten in looks/brains/ninja stealth/strength...).
I'm pretty sure I'm at LEAST better looking than mark ruffalo and chris hemsworth, although chris evans has me beat.  RDJ is iffy, could go either way.  Scarlett Johansson IS pretty hot though

Quote from: Dudeman on December 03, 2015, 06:16:18 PM.......
Does anyone else know what she means?
maybe elves aren't women, just females? idk
unmotivated

Zunawe

It's gender vs sex. Though I wouldn't say there's a huge discrepancy in characters from the Lord of the Rings books.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Ruto

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on December 03, 2015, 06:32:42 PMWell, that depends if you're willing to potentially butcher an author's work just to be more "inclusive." Though, to be fair, I think most of the criticisms towards the Hobbit films have to do with the fact that they tried to cram too much of everything into the films.

I did think that the plot was a bit stretched out (especially when most of the last movie's events happened in one day???) I wouldn't immediately denounce the film as butchering the author's work because it's faithful to the children's book. Unlike a lot of adaptions, Tolkien wasn't alive to consult about plot details and he left A LOT of unfinished writing, and some details didn't agree with each other. The Silmarillion wasn't even finished, so we would never know what Tolkien wanted it to be. As long as it doesn't directly contradict the canon I wouldn't care. The Azog thing, though...if he wasn't out to kill Thorin, they would have just used another Orc. It really was Peter Jackson's vision of the book in the end. I'm fine with that.

Did anyone complain about Arwen replacing Glorfindel in the Fellowship of the Ring? I thought it was a bit cheesy. Quite a few reasons for the dislike of including Tauriel was about her appearance only -.- Shallow, but that's people for ya.

As for the art, I don't think many people could dream up of the artwork created from this one movie. I know Saria tried watching the animated Hobbit and LoTR films lmao

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on December 03, 2015, 06:32:42 PMConsidering how many women have been Avengers in the comics (including Wasp as one of the founding members), that isn't exactly a perfect comparison (and especially considering the ever-changing nature of comics; in continuity, the film series is a separate universe in itself).

Lol I didn't even read the comics, at most, I saw some covers. I wouldn't have even cared for the comics if I didn't see the movie, and I bet a lot of people thought the same about the Hobbit and LoTR. But if the Avengers for some reason was made up of JUST GUYS in the movie, would as many people have bothered to watch it? I'm sure Johansson's fame brought some fanboys who were "too cool" to read comics >_>

Quote from: Zunawe on December 03, 2015, 07:41:19 PMIt's gender vs sex. Though I wouldn't say there's a huge discrepancy in characters from the Lord of the Rings books.

More like not using female as a noun for humans. Other than statistics/research it's not really appropriate. Women are more than just their biological sex after all.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 03, 2015, 06:33:37 PMI'm pretty sure I'm at LEAST better looking than mark ruffalo and chris hemsworth, although chris evans has me beat.  RDJ is iffy, could go either way.

Not sure if you're kidding or your ego really is that big ._. but Chris Hemsworth is like a 9.999999...xD with Voldemort being a 0 or less and dahans the bear being 10.00000000, not just for his looks but also his really cute charm.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

mikey

I was kidding about chris hemsworth in that I don't think he's very good looking but hey I'm not a girl so what I say doesn't matter :P  I'm sure 100% of women ever would agree with you rather than me
unmotivated