News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Nintendo Medley?

Started by Nana1Popo2, June 08, 2011, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nana1Popo2

So, I've actually had this idea for several years, and I need to start SOON if I plan to finish it before January of 2012. I used to have a "Queue" of songs I wanted to arange for my senior year for my High School band, but i never got a chance to start. It was a very LONG list which i know i wont get anywhere near to doing at least 1/10 of what i wanted. (However, I did get a chance to start a few; the Dr. Mario (Fever) arrangement for marching band as well as the Mortal Kombat Theme. and including a Donkey Kong Arrangement for Jazz Band) I was thinking for me senior year that I would arrange one (if not, two) Symphonic Band pieces relating to Nintendo. I've gone through ideas such as a Zelda Medley, to just doing the Hyrule Field Theme, to (now slightly inspired by Tangy) arrange a medley of songs; but if I did a medley, I'd like to play enough of the song that the section could be identified instead of jump from this to that quickly.

That being said, similar to Tangy's thread, what songs do you think would be suitable for a fairly medium-large sized arrangment?

One of my ideas, Zelda themed, was to start off, say, with the Kokiri Forest Theme from OOT, merge into another song from the game, go into the Hyrule Field Theme, maybe some Ganon or something, etc. I really liked both Hyrule Field themes from OOT and TP, and thought that the OOT version would be more recognizable for fans in my school and band.

I'm hoping to hit several different series, like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, etc? If an overall Nintendo medley was decided.

Lastly, I was thinking of a way to feature all the seniors in my band (me included), and I thought we could maybe have a small solo section for their specific instrument? like either Solo or Soli? like, maybe trumpets for a Pokemon section, Low Brass for a Mario section, etc? But please, let me hear your thoughts and suggestions! :)
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

DrP

You should totally do it! I like the last idea, bring out solos/soli with instruments that really make the song that they're representing. Don't forget to make some awesome Clarinet and Oboe solos (Tangy didn't make an Oboe part and I was kinda bummed)

What you should do is do a medley like Tangy, but if you have time, arrange a full symphonic band arrangement of Hyrule Field. I'll bet it would sound EPIC!

Brassman388

I have plenty of arrangements already written and transcribed if you wanted them. If you needed help arranging, I could also lend a hand.

Tangy

Quote from: drpamplemousse on June 08, 2011, 11:15:07 PMDon't forget to make some awesome Clarinet and Oboe solos (Tangy didn't make an Oboe part and I was kinda bummed)

We don't have an oboe in our band at the moment (lame, I know), so there would have been no point. :( Sorry!

If I were to have only arranged one piece for band, I would have done the super mario galaxy theme. More for epicness than nostalgia. It has a quieter section in it where you could potentially put only the seniors, if you wanted.

Nana1Popo2

drpamplemousse: yeah, i was thinking of doing the underwater theme from super mario bros. for a clarinet trio feature. and oboe just sparatically (although our oboist isn't a senior).

Brassman: what arrangements do you have already? I would love your help, I know you've helped me quite a bit in the past, and I have really appreciated it! :)

Tangy: yes! I was thinking of the Super Mario Galaxy Theme, too. but, again, as famous as it is, I do want some people to recognize songs, and I know that most people in my band havent played that game. But still a great thought!

SlowPokemon

You could play a few bars of the SM64 staff roll, that's pretty mellow.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Cobraroll

Have a look at the Super Smash Bros. Melee soundtrack. Most of its songs are arranged for a wide spectrum of instruments, and they are amongst the classic epics of Nintendo. Songs such as Rainbow Ride, Fire Emblem, Fountain of Dreams, ect.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Nana1Popo2

SlowPokemon: yeah it's considered :P

Cobraroll: yeah, i definitely will be referring to a lot of Melee songs! I have the soundtrack

Nana1Popo2

Ok, so I'm putting together the Document.. but I need a name for this big medley.. any ideas?

Dudeman

Um..."The Nintendo Medley"?  :P
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Nana1Popo2

hahaha something a little more creative xD

fabbemannen

I got a 30min Mario-piano-medley myself
Might make the sheet music for it one day

Clanker37

"The wonderous Medley of Ninetendo!"? or
"The Epic Nintendo Medley" or
"Ninsheetmusic/Nana1Popo2's Nintendo Medley"?

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

fabbemannen