Pet peeves!

Started by Nebbles, July 15, 2011, 10:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

How can you tell that kind of stuff, anyway?
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

SlowPokemon

It doesn't even matter, you don't need to have perfect pitch to be able to hear an out of tune piano.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SlowPokemon

When people quote themselves making a joke in their signatures, not sure why, really bothers me

TheZeldaPianist275

Quote from: SlowPokemon on December 12, 2012, 05:13:28 PMWhen people quote themselves making a joke in their signatures, not sure why, really bothers me

being who, other than *hackhackcoughcoughcougholimarcough?

SlowPokemon

Olimar's isn't a joke.

Bubbles

Quote from: Zunawe on December 11, 2012, 07:46:15 PMI'm not sure why, I have nothing against flutists, but I can't stand to see any flutist get into what they play. They all do it the same way too; every time they breathe they have to lean in really quickly and then go back to bouncing with the pitch.

I remember watching some guy at an orchestra playing what Im pretty sure was the oboe, and he was licking his lips and literally slobbering all over the instrument. Im not sure if thats a technique or not, but hey he was in an orchestra so he must be good

Nebbles

ewwww was he making out with his instrument or something that sounds gross
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Shadoninja

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on December 12, 2012, 06:58:56 PMI remember watching some guy at an orchestra playing what Im pretty sure was the oboe, and he was licking his lips and literally slobbering all over the instrument. Im not sure if thats a technique or not, but hey he was in an orchestra so he must be good
I dunno, but double reeds need to be soaked
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Jompa

Reeds need to be soaked with spit..
I'm not really to nazi about it (I actually don't do it at all), but most woodwind players soak their reeds quite a while before playing; especially saxophonists. Some times, when woodwind players have bought a new pack of reeds, they even take every single one out of their packaging to soak them in advance, before putting them back into their packaging. And maybe a week later take them up to use them.
At least here in norway, some lunatic introduced plastic reeds, recently. They don't need to be soaked (as if the wooden ones ever needed to...) so some people use those, but they are quite different from the normal once.. They also last longer - which is good because reeds costs a lot. I don't like them so I stick with the wooden ones. We're woodwind, not "plastwind".

You absolutely don't need perfect pitch to hear if an instrument is out of pitch. Actually, if you can't hear if something is out of pitch, then you lack the ability to intonate. Most people - musicians or not - have pretty decent aural skills when it comes to intonation, and if you are a musician, with practice this will sharpen over time.
And then there are people with absolute pitch, who can identify what note is what, n'stuff - but in most cases that has something to do with the persons childhood, and that something made the person enhance his aural skills at young age, making him able to identify tones as an adult.

Bad trumpeters aren't that bad, because if you can't play the trumpet - you can't play loud at all.
But with a clarinet - which is an instrument where intonation is crucial, in contrast to the trumpet - and you still can play loud, even though you are terrible - it just sounds terrible unless you're good.
Birdo for Smash

Zunawe

You know how you don't always microwave everything as long as you originally thought? Especially popcorn. The times they give you are always too long. And then you open the door and the microwave stops and you enjoy your popcorn. Well, I'd like to ask you to help spread the word that there is this very magical Stop/Clear button right next to the handle. When some people walk through the kitchen, and feel like checking the time, they don't enjoy seeing :13. There is no such time as :13. Please, press that magical button and, together, we can stop blood pressure spikes in meticulous people everywhere.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Jub3r7

PET PEEVE
When I stay up really late to get work done and I end up getting nothing done
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Yugi

That tabloid crap saying that [INSERT COUNTRY HERE] Will be safe from the 2012 apocalypse.
Its idiotic and a dumb way to get tourism (I don't obsess on the end of the world topic obsessivily, but I have a feeling it may happen).

Zunawe

It'll cause a panic in urban areas at the least.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Bubbles

The feeling of wearing socks. And tights. But especially tights and socks at the same time

Also people who use hair gel on their entire head. No, its not a style. You just look like you havent taken a shower in a year.

Though the escond one is probably just a Jersey problem

Zunawe

I love socks. Your toes freeze off here during the winter without them.

I program things