News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Pet peeves!

Started by Nebbles, July 15, 2011, 10:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

braix

wow noc your so stupid for not typing that. what are you a pusseh?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

FireArrow

Quote from: FierceDeity on October 06, 2014, 02:49:21 PMLike, I know people already complain about this one a lot, but I still don't understand how it's such a common error
Somebody told me once that it's because "apostrophes make it seem possessive"
And I had to restrain myself from punching them in the throat

Funny, my pet peeve is when people get so worked up over "you're" and "it's."  :P

I make the mistake all the time, but not because I don't know the difference (knowing it doesn't make you look smart, sorry), it's just a careless typo becuase I'm typing in a non-formal circumstance.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Yugi

I feel like this is relevant to the conversation.

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

unmotivated

Maelstrom

Irony is a fire truck burning. Rain durring a wedding is not ironic.

mikey

Quote from: maelstrom. on October 07, 2014, 08:24:38 PMIrony is a fire truck burning. Rain durring a wedding is not ironic.
Is this a common error or is it funny for a different reason?
unmotivated

Maelstrom

You would not believe how many people do not understand what irony is. Firearrow found it funny because it was so true.

mikey

Quote from: maelstrom. on October 08, 2014, 09:10:28 AMYou would not believe how many people do not understand what irony is. Firearrow found it funny because it was so true.
Alright then.  Also a wedding getting rained out isn't normally irony, but couldn't certain circumstances make it ironic?  EG  The wedding was postponed because it was likely to rain the day they had it?
unmotivated

Maelstrom

*sigh* The point is, you're reading too deep. Come back.

It just means, from the context and information given, more than half the internet would label it as irony, when it is not ironic.

edit: And yes, that would be ironic, but not in this context.

mikey

Quote from: maelstrom. on October 08, 2014, 10:45:45 AM*sigh* The point is, you're reading too deep. Come back.

It just means, from the context and information given, more than half the internet would label it as irony, when it is not ironic.

edit: And yes, that would be ironic, but not in this context.
I guess the half the internet you know isn't as smart as the half I know?
lol
unmotivated

MaestroUGC

Of course it all depends on which kind of irony you're talking about.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

K-NiGhT

Dramatic irony: something the audience knows that the character in the story doesn't know

Situational irony: actions that have an effect opposite from what was intended
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

mikey

Quote from: K-NiGhT on October 08, 2014, 12:03:23 PMDramatic irony: something the audience knows that the character in the story doesn't know

Situational irony: actions that have an effect opposite from what was intended
Is there a third one too or am I imagining things?
unmotivated

K-NiGhT

Verbal irony: the use of words to mean something different from what the person actually says
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness