News:

Are you on Discord? Join our server!

Main Menu

Pet peeves!

Started by Nebbles, July 15, 2011, 10:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: K-NiGhT on October 08, 2014, 01:02:38 PMVerbal irony: the use of words to mean something different from what the person actually says
Phew, I'm not going crazy.
I hope you get everything you deserve in life.
unmotivated

K-NiGhT

Yeah well I hope you get sh*t on by a bird
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

Jub3r7

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on October 08, 2014, 02:35:09 PMI hope you get everything you deserve in life.
You could mean exactly what you say in that sentence and still intend terrible things to happen to that person.
I do realize that's the point, but then is it an example of verbal irony?
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

mikey

Quote from: Jub3r7 on November 04, 2014, 09:00:31 PMYou could mean exactly what you say in that sentence and still intend terrible things to happen to that person.
I do realize that's the point, but then is it an example of verbal irony?
Uh, I don't really get what you mean.
What you just said is pretty much what knight gave for the definition of verbal irony
unmotivated

Jompa

Doesn't it work like this; that you don't actually mean what you're saying?
Birdo for Smash

Ruto

Quote from: Jompa on November 05, 2014, 02:22:02 PMDoesn't it work like this; that you don't actually mean what you're saying?

Sarcasm is a form of irony...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

SlowPokemon

Technically, almost all of what we refer to as sarcasm is  "verbal irony." Sarcasm is verbal irony, but presented in an actively hostile or biting way.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

FierceDeity

What nocturne said wasn't sarcasm, though. It could technically be considered verbal irony in some contexts (as the comic FA linked points out, the definition is rather subjective). But it's not a very good example, because not only does it depend on the context, but it's very hard to distinguish between what one "means" and what one "says" when what is said is already technically what they mean. I suppose the argument for this being irony would be that what is "said" is the meaning inferred by the recipient ("Oh hey, I deserve great things, so this must be a good-willed statement!"), and what is "meant" is in the mind of the speaker ("You deserve shit!").

mikey

Quote from: FierceDeity on November 05, 2014, 08:00:20 PM("Oh hey, I deserve great things, so this must be a good-willed statement!"), and what is "meant" is in the mind of the speaker ("You deserve shit!").
This is what I meant.  Although i suppose if they were a bad person and knew it I could be trying to be nice because I'm a nice guy.
unmotivated

Waddle Bro

Pet peeve: immaturity

Bubbles

Quote from: Waddle Bro on November 13, 2014, 01:53:00 AMPet peeve: immaturity
rtttttt

also when people can't take a hint

Roz~

Pet peeve: People who want in on your trips.

If I tell you I'm planning on going somewhere with my husband this isn't an invitation for you to join us you dumbfuck
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

MaestroUGC

Alright, fine, go with your "husband".

I'll meet you guys there.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

braix

Take me with you >:]
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.