News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

Windows Upgrade Question

Started by DrP, July 17, 2011, 09:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrP

Well, it's that inevitable time of the year where I have to reinstall windows because otherwise my computer will just run slower and slower and slower.

My question is: Even though I only have 4GB of RAM and all, should I get the x64 version of Windows, because right now I am only running x86 Windows 7 and maybe I think if I run x64, it might run better. My architecture supports it, but I am unsure about this (because I have only run x86 versions on my computers)

Does the computer run faster? Is there really any difference?

KefkaticFanatic

There's no reason not to install 64 bit.  It allows for more memory to be used of course, and also more efficiently uses this memory.

You won't have any slowdowns or compatibility issues as a result of an x64 install.

me irl
[close]

fabbemannen

I personally prefer 64-bit over 32-bit since of some small improvements. But I wouldn't go through the trouble to change if I doesn't change the operative-system too (like, from vista to 7)

DrP

x64 it is.

The reason that I had x86 in the first place was that I used it on my old Dell clunker from 2006 that could only support x86, so I just transferred the license over.

I just need to find a copy of 7 Professional x64, because the license can be used interchangeably (according to the guys at the Microsoft Store)...

It wouldnt matter, when I could get a copy for 30 dollars anyways. (OSes and some games and some music are the only things I actually purchase)