News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

Terraria

Started by starrgrl24, July 20, 2011, 10:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starrgrl24

How many of you guys have played this wonderful game? It is based on Minecraft and because I love Minecraft I decided to give this game a try! It's a pretty cool game. It has a higher focus on exploring. I do not want to go into a Minecraft vs. Terraria debate because both have their own advantages. If you like building, Minecraft is the best. If you like exploring, then Terraria is the way to go!

But yeah...what do you think of Terraria? :)

I like chocolate. :3

WiiMan96

I haven't tried it myself, but it does sound like a neat alternative to Minecraft. I become bored easily in single player due to lack of a goal. :P If it goes on sale again on Steam I might very well give it a go.

Cobraroll

Minecraft will be updated to include more achievements, though. The next update will reward exploring a lot more.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

master_gamer38

Yay for adventure update.
Avid user of NFNet IRC network.

fabbemannen

Minecraft is a game I see huge potential in when they are done. It seems to even get a story when the adventure-update comes out
I havn't tried Terraria yet, but I have seen a classmate play it. Personally I think it looks like an annoying version of minecraft, but with boss battles

starrgrl24

Yeaah...the achievements in minecraft will make exploring a lot more rewarding and will make it all the more addicting . :) *coughxboxliveachievementscough* 

I'm more of a builder in minecraft though. I don't do too much exploring. xD Terraria is pretty good though, as long as you don't think of it as a rip-off of minecraft if you're one of those loyalist. xD It's a lot more action-packed while borrowing concepts from minecraft. It's really fun in multiplayer too!

Buut...I still enjoy building more in minecraft :) If anyone can let me into a server, I'd love to go in~

I like chocolate. :3

Nakah

Minecraft doesn't really even compare to terraria. Minecraft has a lame sense of combat, and is really mostly enjoyable for the 3D-building aspect. Other than that, the game can tend to get stale after a month or two of hardcore addiction.

Terraria is much more focused on combat, and has a much wider variety of craftable items/tools/weapons. If you enjoyed snes, you'd love this game, because it has a very familiar gameboy/snes feel with catchy music. The world is also much more deep than minecraft, and traveling down from the surface eventually leads you straight into hell(very, very deep down). There's also more sophisticated dungeons(not just random cavern channels to explore and plunder for ores and spawners), with tons of enemies and bosses to fight off(that require team work with a variety of strategies). And, personally, I feel that the building process all around is much more sophisticated in terraria than minecraft, and it takes a lot more work and care to make a building EXACTLY how you want it.

It's $9.99 on steam, so I think it's definitely worth giving a shot. If enough people join, I can host a server. If you're not going to give this game a shot because you think it's just a 'minecraft wannabee remake,' then you're just a new age 3D-necessitative cotton headed ninny muggin. 

master_gamer38

Quote from: Nakah on August 23, 2011, 12:21:36 PMMinecraft doesn't really even compare to terraria. Minecraft has a lame sense of combat, and is really mostly enjoyable for the 3D-building aspect. Other than that, the game can tend to get stale after a month or two of hardcore addiction.

With the latest Minecraft update coming out, it's going to change greatly. Otherwise, asides from the whole build your own world type of thing, they are almost completely different.

Quote from: Nakah on August 23, 2011, 12:21:36 PMTerraria is much more focused on combat, and has a much wider variety of craftable items/tools/weapons. If you enjoyed snes, you'd love this game, because it has a very familiar gameboy/snes feel with catchy music. The world is also much more deep than minecraft, and traveling down from the surface eventually leads you straight into hell(very, very deep down). There's also more sophisticated dungeons(not just random cavern channels to explore and plunder for ores and spawners), with tons of enemies and bosses to fight off(that require team work with a variety of strategies). And, personally, I feel that the building process all around is much more sophisticated in terraria than minecraft, and it takes a lot more work and care to make a building EXACTLY how you want it.

I have a much harder time making buildings in Minecraft. The third dimension makes it much more difficult for me to make something that I like.

Quote from: Nakah on August 23, 2011, 12:21:36 PMIt's $9.99 on steam, so I think it's definitely worth giving a shot. If enough people join, I can host a server. If you're not going to give this game a shot because you think it's just a 'minecraft wannabee remake,' then you're just a new age 3D-necessitative cotton headed ninny muggin. 

I have problems with the re-playability of this game. I've gone through and explored everywhere and such. If you host a server, (or I could host a second one on my linux box) I may come on every now and then.

MassiveMayhem

I've played Terraria, and in some cases, it's better than Minecraft.  It has its pro's and con's.  Terraria is better as a 2-D sidescrolling mine/beat em up. Minecraft however, is better as a building/simulator.  So what I did was I bought both and play both :)
Arrangement Project? It's a maybe.

KefkaticFanatic

The reason they don't compare is that they're completely different games besides the idea that you can build things.

me irl
[close]

Concerto No.20 in D minor

Anyone want to play Terraria with me?  :3

master_gamer38

Quote from: Concerto No.20 in D minor on September 20, 2011, 11:00:13 PMAnyone want to play Terraria with me?  :3

I'll play with you after the next update comes out prolly.

UnknownKirbyMan

I know this is an old topic, but two things.
Terraria is having a %75 of a sale right now, and it will be having a major update to 1.2 soon.
Any chance of a server when that happens?
Quote from: Nakah on October 28, 2013, 11:27:22 AM
I always respect my local poison herbalist.

Zunawe

I'm not sure how many people have the game and still play it. Maybe with the update it'll bounce back a little. I'd be interested in playing with other people, but a server with too many people would feel crowded in my opinion. A PVP arena would be fun.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things