News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Overwhelmed by first aural theory class in college.

Started by Master_Z, August 26, 2011, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master_Z

Turns out it's literally a 75 minute sight singing practice session (exact words of the professor). I can't sing as is, but having to come to the front of the class (and sometimes doing partner sessions face to face) is really awkward and embarrassing for me. It's mainly Solfege (Do-Re-Mi, etc). I really want to be a game music composer one day, but is this even helpful to know?

The Deku Trombonist

That kind of stuff helps you to be able to hear music in your head just from looking at it, which is very useful. Also, if you're going to be a composer, you need to be able to hear your ideas in your head before you write them down. It's definitely useful, but if that's all you do, I'd say it seems a bit limited.

Master_Z

That class is called MUS170, and I also am taking MUS171, which is written theory. We do a lot of listening and analyzing in there. The best part is that it's very little classical music; we actually listen to a lot of contemporary music (like '80s electronic music, folk music). Hopefully this aural training will be good for me though.

MaestroUGC

Those classes are two sides of the same coin, it'll all come together in your later years of education.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

Here its called "Ear training and Sight singing". lol, on my first day of class my professor said "You have 24 hours to get over your fear of singing in front of a group." and the next day our class was twice as small-the losers, it isnt that bad! Of course I sound terrible, thats why I play the Trombone! But atleast I know the correct pitches!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Cobraroll

Sight-singing?

That sounds an awful lot like Karaoke.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Jub3r7

XD. Nah.

Rather than singing about Stacy's Mom, you have to sing the notes that come up, which often don't have any words.
It sounds easy, but it takes a lot of practice to get good at it.

When I stay after school for all-state practice for chorus, all we do is sight sing to prepare for it.
The teacher doesn't force us to do it by ourselves, but she does request it.

Waitwaitwait, you don't sing and suddenly you're taking a college course in it? Dang.
Good luck with that.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

MaestroUGC

It's all tools of the trade, every good musician needs this foundation, regardless of what you actually want to do with your degree.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Master_Z on August 26, 2011, 06:01:11 PM(like '80s electronic music, folk music).
Now I want you to watch the Safety Dance video. Notcie how the dacing midget truely brings out the depth and color of the this spectacular piece of music. You should be taking notes, this will all be on your final.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

pumpy_heart

It's just as practical as knowing piano, theory, and music history. No matter the degree, you must have a background with all of it.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Jub3r7 on August 27, 2011, 01:52:45 PMWaitwaitwait, you don't sing and suddenly you're taking a college course in it? Dang.
Good luck with that.
Lol, its not hard if your not retarded. We just sing solfege to several random ≈16 bar melodys every morning. You get use to it. (this'll be my second year of it, lol.)
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!