News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Orchestral Submissions-Temporary Holding Area

Started by MaestroUGC, August 28, 2011, 12:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HugoMeister

Well that's pretty much like one layer when you play it anyway. I mean like, don't have two runs running counter to each other in the bass, that's just awful.

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Bespinben

To those who have already seen the arrangement below, I fixed a few problems that were present in the first version such as improper enharmonic spelling, the first basson having no indication of when to breathe, and severe difficulty arising from a Eb Gb Db triple stop in the cello solo. Having fixed these issues, I now confidently submit my arrangement to the developing section of orchestrated arrangements.

[DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Bubbles Shining over the Sea / On the Beach at Dusk" (Small Ensemble)
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

MaestroUGC

Ok, first off, your score order is wrong. The viola should be above the cello. If you intend to have two bassooon parts in an esnemble this small, go ahead and put the second bassoon part in its own line. Also, why does the viola move in perfect fifths towards the end? You could probably move that top viola part to the oboe. Also, the top note on the cello double stop on m. 16-18 is already played by the viola, there is no need for doubling in an ensemble this small. Oh ,the tempo marking is redundant. Serene means tranquil, pick one.

Other than that, everything else seems in order.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

master_gamer38

Yeah, viola above cello.

Just as a way to save ink and space. I'd leave the two bassoons on the same line. It's a really simple part.

The viola line is perfectly fine the whole time. There is no need to change any of it.

And that double stop with the cello, I'd take it out. It could be done, but it is kinda unnecessary.

Dotted half rests? I'd put a quarter rest and then a half rest. It's not normal to put them in 4/4 time.
Avid user of NFNet IRC network.

Bespinben

Thanks guys! I'll edit this post when I complete your recommendations. As for the bassoons, I'm going to leave it on the same line, since, as master_gamer said, it is very simple, and if I made it into two lines, the arrangement wouldn't fit on 3 pages like I want.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Finished fixing it - you can have a look here:

"Bubbles Shining over the Sea / On the Beach at Dusk" (Small Ensemble)
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

I am fairly confident that this arrangement is up to par now  :D In summary, I fixed the score order, got rid of the cello double stop in measures 16-18, choose "serene" as the adjective for the tempo marking, and added additional clarity to the score by using tied notes to emphasize the 1st and 3rd beats.

Bespinben

I'm attempting to try something larger this time, so I decided to arrange the Champion Battle theme from Pokémon DPPt. I tried to replicate the original song from the game as much as possible, resulting in a lot of instruments that are only played for a few measures in the arrangement, as you will shortly see:

[DS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Battle! Champion Cynthia" (Large Ensemble)
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

dahans

This one like a bit like a midi file? No key... many instruments are out of range...
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Bespinben

Admittedly, I did import a MIDI for Cynthia Battle, unlike "Bubbles Shining Over the Sea" which I did from scratch (meaning a youtube video and my ear). You see, part of the reason I'm trying my hand at these orchestrations is so I can learn more things about Finale and arranging in general. I wanted to see what it would be like to arrange off a MIDI, to see if it's more work to import a MIDI and edit it a whole bunch or to write from scratch. As you've been able to tell Dahans, I didn't do the best job on editing the MIDI, which is why I posted what I had done here so that I could get some extra advice, which you gave me  ;)  I'll do some research on the instruments and check their ranges so the parts can be playable. I think the key signature is G flat Major too, but I'm not sure, because there are still loads of accidentals when I put in the new key signature.

Shadoninja

you probably should learn to check ranges manually, but there's a check ranges plug-in in finale 2011 if you go to plug-ins ->scoring and arranging -> check ranges.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Bespinben

I have been working VERY hard on this latest orchestration for the past week now, and I'm very happy to now present my orchestral arrangement of "Sky Tower" from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team! Please, PLEASE, feel free to give any critique whatsoever on the arrangement, as I am still a novice with orchestrations and am unfamiliar with things regarding correct score order and the like. Enjoy!

[GBA/DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team
"Sky Tower" (Large Symphonic Ensemble + Choir):
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

I designed the playback specifically for Finale, so if you do not have Finale 2011 (which I made the .mus in), please download Finale Reader 2011 so you can listen to how I meant the song to sound (MIDI does a terrible job of that) or request an MP3 from me.

P.S. This arrangement was done entirely by ear, except for the percussion tracks, which I used to a MIDI to acquire as I know nothing of drum notaton.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We need more support to bring back orchestral arrangements! I'm serious! Even if you've never done it before, just give a shot at it! It's very fun!

Dudeman

EPIC WIN!!! OH MY GOSH!!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!!!
You, sir, just made my day. :)
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Brassman388

Bespinben, what do you use for a file to directly download like that?

Jub3r7

According to my browser, he uses this.

Also, if you sign up for dropbox using the link above, we both get an additional 250 MB added to our storage space.   ;)
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Brassman388

Quote from: Bespinben on September 15, 2011, 04:38:49 AMI have been working VERY hard on this latest orchestration for the past week now, and I'm very happy to now present my orchestral arrangement of "Sky Tower" from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team! Please, PLEASE, feel free to give any critique whatsoever on the arrangement, as I am still a novice with orchestrations and am unfamiliar with things regarding correct score order and the like. Enjoy!

[GBA/DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team
"Sky Tower" (Large Symphonic Ensemble + Choir):
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

I designed the playback specifically for Finale, so if you do not have Finale 2011 (which I made the .mus in), please download Finale Reader 2011 so you can listen to how I meant the song to sound (MIDI does a terrible job of that) or request an MP3 from me.

P.S. This arrangement was done entirely by ear, except for the percussion tracks, which I used to a MIDI to acquire as I know nothing of drum notaton.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We need more support to bring back orchestral arrangements! I'm serious! Even if you've never done it before, just give a shot at it! It's very fun!

Silly me.

Anyways, I really like this arrangement. Your hard work payed off.

There are a few things that I would like to change, though. Mostly voicing. I know Finale doesn't have the best soundfonts in the world, but there are parts in there that sound a bit off balance in terms of when the each section progresses. Its... a bit rough.

I can't give anything specific right now, but i will when I have more time.

Other than that, I say for this being one of your first arrangements that I know of, it's not bad. Not bad at all.

pumpy_heart

[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - "Opening" - Thomas Wilson Midi
[DS] Final Fantasy III - "A Dancer's Dance" - Thomas Wilson Midi
I know the bowing could take some looking at. I can do that myself, just haven't yet. If violin II was made divisi (though none of the double stops are impossible) and violin I 1 per stand, it'd make the arrangement better. If there's anything else wrong with the pieces, please let me know. I'd love to hear some criticism.