Arrangement contests - brainstorming topic

Started by Cobraroll, August 29, 2011, 01:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exams are coming! When will you be finished?

Earlier than May 10
7 (36.8%)
May 10 - May 20
3 (15.8%)
May 21 - May 31
4 (21.1%)
June 1 - June 10
2 (10.5%)
After June 10
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Bespinben

Just throwing more ideas of there - what if we did some kind of "medley mashup" where one takes two songs from a game and arrange them in such a way that their melodies, when played similtaneous, form a new cohesive whole?
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

Quote from: Bespinben on January 12, 2012, 06:53:26 PMJust throwing more ideas of there - what if we did some kind of "medley mashup" where one takes two songs from a game and arrange them in such a way that their melodies, when played similtaneous, form a new cohesive whole?

Polyphony?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bespinben

I suppose polyphony would be a good word for basis. For example, if this idea gets anywhere, I was thinking of arranging a piece that would similtaneously incorporate two different boss battle themes from a certain game that I'm not going to mention into one. It would be a good exercise in counterpoint.

SlowPokemon

Omg. Was just thinking about that yesterday. Don't really want to do that for the competition though.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bespinben

I have a supporter! *woot*

It sounds like everyone wants to do a waltz though, but at least we got some new ideas for the third contest ^_^

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: Bespinben on January 12, 2012, 06:53:26 PMJust throwing more ideas of there - what if we did some kind of "medley mashup" where one takes two songs from a game and arrange them in such a way that their melodies, when played similtaneous, form a new cohesive whole?

With bonus points if you can make it work with the two melodies in different keys!! And I don't mean relative major/minor :P

Bespinben

That would be awesome. Though, now I'm beginning to think that my "medley mashup, polyphony, counterpoint" proposal would be dissuading to many as it may require more technical prowess and less room for spontaneous creativity. I'm still all for it though.

Meta-Ridley

Raymondbl

The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

Olimar12345

I think it's the best idea we have so far.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

Ok, so we have waltz and polyphony/counterpoint to choose from. I think the latter would be more fun to do, but not this early in trying to get the game organized. We'd want something simple to make sure we all know how the game works, judging, rules, etc. Plus with something as complicated as combine two themes is, it may be a bit much for right now.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

Lets just do a quick round for the waltz. GOGOGO!

MaestroUGC

Who's going to judge, same people as last time? If so we'd need a fourth because I'd like to enter the contest this time around.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

I'll judge. we'll switch out, since I'm participating too.

Raymondbl

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 13, 2012, 06:53:03 PMI'll judge. we'll switch out, since I'm participating too.

If I am a judge, then I won't participate in the contest, but you got here first, so I guess I'll just stick with arranging.

*sadface*
The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.