News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

Professor Layton

Started by SlowPokemon, September 14, 2011, 02:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite minigame? (Diabolical Box version)

Hamster
Camera
Tea Set

SlowPokemon

I played the ending of Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box tonight (I replayed most of the game over the summer but stopped at the very end for some reason) and I always tell myself I'm not going to cry, but for some reason, even though I've played it countless times before, even though I've been distanced from the story for well over two months, even though it's really not that sad to begin with, tonight I absolutely lost it and was just crying over the end of this game.

Spoiler
For some reason I'm always absolutely fine through everything until Sophia's letter to Anton--and then something about the way it's worded just gets me a little choked up, and by the time the credits are rolling I'm always crying. I really don't get it.
[close]
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

TheInsidiousSpurt

Diabolical box's ending is sad but not NEARLY as sad as Unwound Future's ending  :'( :'( :'( :'(

SlowPokemon

That's the thing, Diabolical Box always makes me cry no matter how many times I've played it, while Unwound Future's ending made me cry the first few times I played it but doesn't so much anymore. The main reason I like the ending of Unwound Future (and Azran Legacy) is because it presents Layton as more of a human, flawed character, rather than the stoic near-perfect gentleman he's usually portrayed as.

Tbh though the one with the most tear-worthy ending, and one I can't remember getting through without crying, is Miracle Mask.

TheInsidiousSpurt

I haven't got around to the Prequel trilogy but one day I will. Ive been playing Persona 4 which is REALLY good.

SlowPokemon

http://twinfinite.net/2015/12/level-5-has-a-sequel-to-a-very-popular-series-to-announce-in-2016/

The successor to the Professor Layton series, perhaps...? The phrase "sequel to a series" implies that it's an entire new series, not a new entry in an existing one. At least, that's my interpretation. It'd be nice to get some news about Professor Layton, since the way things look currently it's completely dead. Layton 7 hasn't gone over well with crowds so far, so they may be trying a more direct sequel to the series.

Nebbles

Oooh, I'd be down for a direct sequel.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

EFitTrainr

Yoooo
I'd recommend everyone go watch the 43rd episode of Yo-Kai Watch
I like food.

SlowPokemon

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/03/16/akira-tago-professor-laytons-puzzle-master-dies-aged-90

I'm so sad... Tago loved the Layton games and helped create so many puzzles for them.

EFitTrainr

I like food.

Nitro Indigo

Aww, I was hoping for Professor Layton: The Force Awakens... =P

I already know how most Layton games end even though I've never beaten one. I've been playing Lost/Unwound Future recently - do you think I'll still cry?

Speaking of which, that game's Japanese title, The Last Time Travel, doesn't really make grammatical sense. Is it an awkwardly literal translation?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

SlowPokemon

I'm so excited for Lady Layton. I literally cannot wait.

Nitro Indigo

^ For some reason, that didn't appear in my "Show new replies to your posts" list. =/
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

SlowPokemon

To answer your questions, I actually consider Unwound Future to be the weakest Professor Layton game by a pretty big margin. The pacing is all wrong and it has long stretches in the middle where not much is happening--also, the really awesome immersive atmosphere of the other games from St. Mystere, Folsense, Misthallery, and the others just isn't present in Future London. At least, it's not for me. I'm not sure which one I'd rank as the best, but I'd definitely put Unwound Future at the bottom.

Nitro Indigo

Maybe you could write a plot analysis? I don't know why, but sometimes I like looking at criticisms for things I like, provided that the criticism is reasonable (I've seen people call Spirit Tracks an "abomination" in earnest), and said thing isn't the legendary lowest-ranked platformer.

SlowPokemon

I literally would like nothing more. I'll try to get to that sometime soon.