News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Professor Layton

Started by SlowPokemon, September 14, 2011, 02:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite minigame? (Diabolical Box version)

Hamster
Camera
Tea Set

SlowPokemon

Quote from: shadowkirby on October 18, 2011, 09:46:59 AMI know this sounds really geeky, but I cannot WAIT for layton on 3DS's cutscenes.

According to IGN, Mask of Miracle still has classic 2D cutscenes (really happy). The characters have 3D models or something though and the backgrounds are 3D. You would think cartoonish things would be awkward in 3D, but it sounds like it was done well.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

DonValentino

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 18, 2011, 12:47:02 PMYou would think cartoonish things would be awkward in 3D, but it sounds like it was done well.

Look at the dialogues, the models are in 3D and they are cartoonish, and they did a pretty good job there. Still, full 3D cutscenes would be better.

SlowPokemon

Game is amazing so far. Typical Layton air of mystery and such. And when I first turned on the game, I sat there for literally three minutes listening to the title screen music. XD it's pretty awesome.

DonValentino

*Post deleted, as Slow considers it were spoilers :P*

SlowPokemon

This is a SPOILER FREE THREAD so please edit or remove your post.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: WarioMan98 on October 21, 2011, 01:13:49 PM*Post deleted, as Slow considers it were spoilers :P*
Well I just had no idea who the villain in the fourth game was until you said that. -_- so that's just me.

So I finished the game.

MY REVIEW.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter is a phenomenal game. It's Professor Layton, after all. He's back with a VENGEANCE. Same basic format used in Unwound Future. It's a great formula, and it hasn't been messed with at all since practically the first game.

Main points of the game:

THE PUZZLES: 9/10
The puzzles are as great as ever, and perhaps a little more challenging towards the beginning than in previous games. Despite this, I encountered only one puzzle the entire game that I could not solve. As opposed to previous games, where I found the need multiple times to take a break from a puzzle, then come back later. So although the puzzles towards the beginning might have been a little tougher, overall they weren't as hard as other games. There isn't even a "final stage" level filled with ridiculous puzzles as there was in previous games. I also finished the game with 50 or so hint coins. However, these proved to be good use in the post-game puzzle challenges, which are ridiculously tough in their own right.

THE SOUND: 9/10
The music is possibly at an all time high for the Layton series. The title screen music, "The Last Specter's Theme," is a live version and extremely jazzy (like other main themes for the series). The rest of the music in the game turns out somewhat whimsical and wistful. The most prominent theme, "Misthallery's Many Canals," is extraordinary in its simple lonely beauty. The new puzzles theme is quite lackluster, turning out more annoying than anything, though. It's definitely the low point of all puzzle themes. The "Puzzle Deductions" theme, however is really jazzy and catchy (but is only heard sparsely). Overall, the music is pretty awesome. Some themes are bland and get old really quickly, but mostly the music is wonderful. And it's all high quality.

THE PRESENTATION: 10/10
Graphics, art, voice acting, cutscenes...everything's the same as in previous games, or better.

THE STORY: 8/10
The story (that of a giant monster attacking a small rural town) is original and compelling...but... it will disappoint those familiar with the Layton games. Those insane, bizarre plot twists that we've come to expect from Layton games? They're here, but they're not so incredible, and I think only once in the entire game did I say to myself, "Wow...that was crazy." The secret behind the specter was not so unexpected or crazy. Of course, this is the beginning of the second trilogy, so maybe it's trying to mimic the simplistic style of Curious Village? That being said, it's interesting to see Layton's first meeting with Luke. And after the credits, the final two cutscenes should really bring two smiles to your face--the first one of pure happiness, the second a bit malicious.

OVERALL: 9/10

Consensus: Not as good as Unwound Future, but with all the appeal of Diabolical Box, Professor Layton and the Last Specter is a gaming treat that puzzle-lovers and Layton fans alike will warmly receive.

Lol I like trying to mimic professional sites' review styles.

Shadoninja

non-plot spoilers for unwound future.

SHE KILLED BEASLY!!!! and I wanted to hear his gripping tale too...

>: U
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Shadoninja on November 04, 2011, 01:29:15 PMnon-plot spoilers for unwound future.

SHE KILLED BEASLY!!!! and I wanted to hear his gripping tale too...

>: U

That scene was so freaking hilarious though. I <3 Puzzlette.

Nintendo17

I've heard good stories and reviews on this series, what is it about though, exactly?
"The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom, And his tongue speaks justice." Psalms 37:30

SlowPokemon

Fleetstar The Flygon

There's a 3ds Prof. Layton coming?! Sorry, I always feel as though I've been living under a rock. DX

When I got the last Specter and the title screen music started, I was blown away. It's by far the best Layton music I've heard since the Unwound Future challenge puzzle theme.

SlowPokemon

Hahaha, yeah there's Mask of Miracle coming this year, and an as yet to be announced date for the release of Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney...both of which, I'm guessing, will be awesome.

Pit0010

I loved this series! i cant wait for the next one on the 3ds!

if i added it up together...i finished all 3 games in less than 2 days! D:
i loved the ending for the unwounded future...i cried...was soo sad...:P
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

SlowPokemon

BUMP

Who is your favorite main Layton character?

Professor Hershel Layton, of course
    - 4 (66.7%)
Luke Triton...duh
    - 2 (33.3%)
Flora Reinhold; the series just wouldn't be the same without her.
    - 0 (0%)
Emmy. She made a great assistant.
    - 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

No love for Flora or Emmy.

Alright new poll and also a note about the movie, Eternal Diva. I went back and watched it for the first time since I first saw it and noticed a TON of cameos and game references. Here's what I noticed:

During the first scene showing Layton and Luke in their seats at the theater, Beluga, the owner of the Molentary Express, walks past them through the aisle.
During Janice's flashback, when she speaks to the little girl in the street, a man similar to Stachenscarfen walks past her.
When Janice and the young girl are at the restaurant, you can see Granny Riddleton at the table next to theirs.
When Layton and Luke get out of the Laytonmobile to enter the theater, Babette, the woman on the Molentary Express who lost Tom, walks past them.
When the puppet on stage is addressing the audience, the camera pans across the audience and you can see Beluga once more.
When Emmy interrogates the family in London, Claudia the cat is on their couch.
In Dr. Schrader's office, the Elysian Box is on the table next to the television, and Babette and Beluga are once more visible on the beach that the television shows.

If anyone else notices other cameos like that, let me know!

Nebbles

I lost my copy of the Last Specter. ;_; I need to buy a new one...
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel