News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Arrangment Contest No. 1 - Sign-up!

Started by Brassman388, September 17, 2011, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brassman388

Arrangement Contest No. 1

Rules/Requirements:

To rearrange My Road, My Journey from Dragon Quest I into a wind band arrangement.

A) You may use up to a maximum of 10 wind instruments and 2 percussion instrument.

B) Instrument ranges need to be accurate and playable.

C) Sheets must be readable. Make sure everything is nice and organized.

Timeframe:

Each round will begin every Monday and end Friday at midnight central time. You must have your arrangement linked in your post before then or it is considered a forfeit. We will review your arrangement over Saturday and Sunday and post your results as well as the next challenge on the following Monday.

Concept:

To use your knowledge and rearrange a piece from it's light-hearted tone into a, dark tone (From happy to sad). Must also contain an ending.

Use of dynamics, intonation, tone colour and style, will help you achieve this goal.

Scoring and points:

Everything you put into your arrangement will be graded on a 1 to 10 point scale in 5 categories from 4 judges. The maximum amount of points being a 50.0.

Categories:

Concept and Execution (What does this music say and how do I say it?)

Balance and Colour (How does the music overall blend together tonally?)

Instrumentation and Tonality (How effectively was my instrument choice?)

Playability and Technique (How hard is this piece? Is it playable?)

Score presentation (Is the score easy to read? Did I write the music correctly?)

Notes:

USE YOUR IMAGINATION!!!

There's no correct answer to what we're listening for. Use whatever means you think would benefit your musical adventure. Remember; this is your version of the story.

Dynamics make us happy!

I know, I know. Finale doesn't have the best soundfonts, but that's no reason you shouldn't try and experiment with dynamics and expressions. Don't get too crazy with em', just use them how you feel. Also, don't frustrated with finale's shitty midi. If a dynamic or expression doesn't work, don't worry about it. Note it with your submission and we'll happily accommodate you.

Musicality

So, a big problem with arranging older videogame music is; alot of it only has a main line, counter melody and bass line. I understand that most of you haven't arranged much let alone for a bigger ensemble. But I that doesn't mean that it should be that way. Bring out chords, make more elaborate counter melodys, etc, etc. Like I said before, there is no wrong answer as long as the main theme of the song is there.

Arrangers:

Shadoninja
Clanker37
Bespinben
IAmYou
Olimar12345

Hang in there while things get sorted out.

Shadoninja

"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Master_Z

When is the actual contest? I might be interested.

Bespinben

Would the arrangements have to be for piano or can they be orchestrated too? Either way, I'm in.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

IAmYou

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

Hey, why don't we post the actual contest in the Musical Showdown thread? The two contests are essentially the same, and that way we don't have yto clutter up the Music sub-forum. Plus I can make sure the right topics get stickied and such.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

IAmYou

Brassman388

I think we should keep it here and get it stickied.

Also, signups are over. Round one begins Monday and ends Friday. We review the sheet over the weekend and post the results on Monday when the new round begins.

Rules will be posted tonight.

Goodluck, everyone.

SlowPokemon

Awesome, signups are over in a little over eight hours? Meh don't care I don't arrange from games I've never played anyway.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Cobraroll

^Talking to the (other?) judges now. Trying to see if I can get it changed.

And extend the signup time limit. For us central Europeans, this was decided on, sign-ups opened and closed over the course of nine hours, seven of which would be classified as sleeping time.

Hang on!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SlowPokemon

It's stupid that we all have to arrange the same song imo. Prolly won't be entering if that continues.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Cobraroll

In later rounds you may be restricted to one song, but in those cases you'll get to choose instruments yourself. The wackier, the better, for instance?

For this round, I'll see if I can change some parameters slightly. We're a democratic group after all, and I may be voted against. We'll see.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.