News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Welcome to our first arrangement contest!

Started by Cobraroll, October 10, 2011, 09:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we try another round?

Frankly, I don't care and I wouldn't enter anyway
1 (5.3%)
Yes, but I'm unsure if I would enter or not
4 (21.1%)
Yes, and I would like to participate in it
9 (47.4%)
Yes, and I would like to volunteer as a judge
3 (15.8%)
No, I don't think enough people are interested
0 (0%)
No, the entire idea is stupid
2 (10.5%)
No, other (state in topic)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Cobraroll

Again, we're doing this in the NSM pace. Don't worry, it will be done some day soon.

To tell the truth, it's been kinda forgotten under schoolwork and other stuff. I'll PM the other jurors now and see if we can get this over with as fast as we can.

Don't worry, there will still be a prize to be won.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Cobraroll

Just as a reminder to the judges (only got one set of votes in so far), and to everybody else around here, I created a poll so everyone can vote on their favourite.

Have your say, folks!

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Cobraroll

The voting is open for everyone.

That includes the participants and the jurors (hint, hint!).

Cobraroll

Okay, the old year is over, and that also concludes the voting period for the arrangement contest.

The competition was a tough one, with three very good pieces competing for the title. For those of you who don't remember, the theme for the contest was "Inverse the mood!"

Dahans submitted a variation on the Lavender Town theme from Pokémon R/B/Y. The usually quiet, eerie and sad theme was turned into a wacky joyful song, bringing to mind images of a fun fair or festival. Lavender Town is a seaside town after all, and it has many large piers nearby. Sure one of them could fit a carnival?

SlowPokemon did a take on the usually cheery theme from Unova's Route 4, from Pokémon Black/White. This theme is usually a fanfare-like song accompanying the hopeful young trainer through the deserts of central Unova, but SlowPokemon twisted it into a theme of mischief. Is that a villainous theme plotting against the authorities, or just nocturnal Pokémon playing tricks on bypassers? Either way, you better watch out for something on Route 4 tonight.

Olimar123 used by far the fewest instruments, and he was the only one to name his piece. "Dissonance in the Lost Woods" leaves no doubt on which part of LoZ: Ocarina of Time this theme was taken from. While this is usually an upbeat, rather happy song, in the hands of Olimar123 it just turns... creepy. A wanderer has walked too far into the woods, and trying to find a way out isn't as easy as he thought it would be. Also, is that something moving in the shadows? Have I been here before? Did that tree just... what is that sound? This theme cleverly portrays the rising panic as the forest itself seems to play tricks with your mind, and the exit just feels further and further away, no matter where you go. How did it all end, you ask? The theme answers: "Only one way to find out! Want to go looking for him?"

Only one of the judges sent in a full review (let's hear a round of applause for Dudeman!), but thanks to all of you who participated in the poll, we were able to find a worthy winner. Both Dudeman and the poll concluded the same, and I'm proud to annouce that the winner of our first arrangement contest is:

*drumroll*

Dahans!

Contact me to claim your prize, Dahans.

And that concludes our first arrangement contest! Time will tell if we make another one. It is also greatly depended on your feedback.

Applause for the participants! Tomatoes for the judges!

dahans

ha thats great! Thanks a lot. Id really like to know the prize^^.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Congrats, Big D!

Cobra, I'm interested to see Dudeman's review of everyone's! Possibly published...? :P

Cobraroll

Quoted in its entirety:

Quote from: Dudeman on November 18, 2011, 05:17:20 PMLavender Town (by Dahans)

Concept and Execution: 5/5 (Absolutely amazing, interesting at every turn, great use of melody)
Balance and Color: 5/5 (Mood completely reversed, melody still used in a recognizable way)
Instrumentation and Tonality: 4.5/5 (Great orchestrated sound and completely appropriate, 1/2 point off for the somewhat awkward                                                           and random piano solo from measures 26-39)
Playability and Technique: 4/5 (Piece is not too difficult, but the piano solo is questionable)
Score Presentation: 4.5/5 (Format is correct; 1/2 point off for missing website title)

TOTAL: 23/25

Route 4 (by SlowPokemon)

Concept and Execution: 4/5 (Could be some more instruments, but still interesting)
Balance and Color: 3/5 (The bells and the flutes sound a bit out of place, and the melody was not very recognizable)
Instrumentation and Tonality: 4/5 (Again, the bells and flutes sound too much like "happy" instruments)
Playability and Technique: 5/5 (Very easy, instruments have about the same difficulty)
Score Presentation: 3/5 (Subtitle not sized down and italicized, composer not bolded, arranger not italicized, no website title)

TOTAL: 19/25

Dissonance in the Lost Woods (by Olimar12345)

Concept and Execution: 2/5 (Creative, yet repetitive and discordant)
Balance and Color: 2/5 (Very little of the actual melody used besides the first three notes, but mood still inverted)
Instrumentation and Tonality: 4/5 (All clarinets, yet I don't feel that clarinets are very appropriate for the Lost Woods)
Playability and Technique: 4/5 (Relatively easy, but those 16th note-arpeggios seem pretty difficult)
Score Presentation: 2/5 (No subtitle; no separate lines for arranger and composer; no developer, developing year or website title)

TOTAL: 14/25
(Please note that for this piece, I understand that Olimar only took the motif to work on.)

Olimar12345

Congrats dahans!

@dudeman-Your grading on my piece completely baffles me. (and I used much more that just the motive...  >.< )

EDIT: In fact, your grading over all of our pieces confuses me! And why did we all lose points for not having the website title on our sheets? These weren't for the site whatsoever!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dudeman

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 02, 2012, 11:33:23 AMWhy did we all lose points for not having the website title on our sheets? These weren't for the site whatsoever!
The contest rules said that the sheets needed to be formatted via NSM formatting guidelines, and I followed that to the letter. Sorry. :'(
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

SlowPokemon

I must agree with Olimar...this was slightly ridiculous. That rule should have either been way more apparent or not have been included at all.

Winter

I agree with this rule. The formatting guidelines are designed for content meant to be uploaded to NinSheetMusic. It doesn't apply to arrangements that are in the name of the arranger. If the arranger didn't give NSM the rights to upload it to the site, there should actually NOT be the site link at the bottom of the page. It was mentioned nowhere in this thread that this content was aimed at being put on NinSheetMusic.

In fact, isn't the manner in which the arranger decides to present a score... Up to them? Is it written anywhere that all sheet music required the composer line to be bolded?

Score presentation should be dependent on how attractive the sheet is as a whole!

Just saying. I am not recommending a re-do in any way. Just saying you may want to revise the definition of 'score presentation' in the future ^.^

Cobraroll

Oh well, bound to get some screw-ups in the first round, eh?

It just illustrates how dependent projects like this are on volunteering and feedback. We had a few delays due to people being busy with other stuff, people were reluctant to both judge and enter, and the entire thing kept slipping in the direction of oblivion almost all the way through. It's also a little difficult to coordinate across different time zones (look at the first competition thread made) and ideas. We had a few misunderstandings between the judges. Either way, the goal of this first round was to iron out the bumps and lay down a foundation to base future contests on.

So, what is the consensus? Should we try again? Poll goes up.

dahans

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 02, 2012, 10:46:27 AMCongrats, Big D!

Cobra, I'm interested to see Dudeman's review of everyone's! Possibly published...? :P
Thanks! Big D is an interesting nickname... I'd like to keep it! :D
Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 02, 2012, 11:33:23 AMCongrats dahans!
Thank you too! :D

And yes I'd love to participate in the next round.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!