Tv/Movie Reviews/Rants by SFK

Started by SuperFireKirby, October 20, 2011, 07:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperFireKirby

Welcome! I review things of the visual motion caputred/animated variety. You can suggest titles for me to watch and review, or I'll just post something random each day/week/whateva. Enjoy!

I though I'd start with a television show I recently started watching again.

Teen Titans

Teen Titans has a special place in my heart as it carved what would be come my deep love for the tragic hero with season 2 and Terra's story.

One problem many people have with Teen Titan's is it's psuedo-anime animation style. While many times, it gets taken too far and becomes fairly campy, much of the time it helps support TT's style of humor. I also just find the style over-all appealing, and for the I find the style to be much more of a pro that a con.

I simply adore this show because it's one of the few that wasn't afraid to put mature themes into a childrens show. Not like language or sexual stuff, I mean themes that are actually MATURE. Like betrayal, death, and oh yeah THE END OF HUMANITY. Really, what other children's show would go so far as to have an all out apocalypse, complete with people turned to stone and a giant four-eyed demon?

I also adore the fact that Scott Menville was cast to play Robin as he also plays the voice of the main character in my all-time favorite video game DARK CLOUD 2.

And the fact that all five of the Titans are thoroughly complex character with very unique and awesome personalities I find amazing since you don't see that in many tv shows in general anymore, let alone a kid's show.

Cyborg is a beast in every way imaginable. The dude eats, like, half the city in one episode. I mean, come on. How do you top that?

Possibly the only aspect of the show I didn't enjoy was the fact that, though Robin is the only Titan without super powers, he kicks, by far, the most ass. I mean, it's extremely enjoyable and satisfying watching him kick so much ass in such an amazing fashion, but really, you would think that the other Titans would be a bit more successful. They others do bear, well, let's see: black magic, robotically enhanced strength and a sonic cannon, alien super strength and laser eyes, and the ability to change into any animal in the universe. You'd think they could manage better than a guy with some kung-fu, dick bombs, and a retractable metal pole, but I digress.

Teen Titans has remained one of my favorite cartoons and one of my favorite tv shows in general ever since I discovered it way back when in ummmm 2003, I think? It's an irreplaceable part of my childhood and I have a feeling I will be watching reruns of it for a long time to come.

9.5/10

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SuperFireKirby

Ponyo

I would have done Spirited Away but I believe I must watch it at least once more before I can properly review it. SO instead, it's Ponyo, Ponyo. Tiny little fish. Tiny little fish in the deep blue sea!(That's a reference to the tacky End Credits song)

Now then, to get things started off Ponyo is the story of a brave little boy(Sasuke) who finds a magical little fish girl. The fish girl escaped her father and wants to become a human. Fish girl(Ponyo) and the little boy become best friends and the world goes out of balance and floods and prehistoric fish come back and a whole bunch of other crazy stuff happens.

So first off, Ponyo is not revered as Studio Ghibli's best work and there are some very obvious flaws.

First off, the dialog, at many points, is rather campy and tacky, as seen in many English dubs of anime. But this mainly is a fault of Sasuke's voice actor, who just isn't very good. And unfortunately, he contributes quite a bit of the dialog of the film. But the cast does include a few all-stars such as Tina Fey and Betty White. Unfortunately, these actors don't get very major roles(and I would have loved for Betty White to have more dialog).

Now aside from that, the plot isn't extremely great and though it has some very high points of action(Ponyo running on the waves), the story itself seems very anti-climatic. The whole thing kind of just, well, ends . Sasuke talks to a big fish lady and the world goes back to normal. The End and queue the annoying credits song.

But their are quite a few strong points in the movie as well. For starters the animation is spectacular, as you would expect from Studio Ghibli. The amount of imagination that is poured into  every little detail is amazing.(One of my favorite things being how the waves are fishies) Also, just a the overall charming quality of the movie captivates you, causing you to ignore almost any flaw you may find other wise with the film.

Another very strong point of the movie is the movie's score(see Slow's Review for in detail analysis of the whole thing). The music fits wonderfully into the film and is very well done. Besides the credits song. *shudders*

Overall: Ponyo is a wonderful piece of animation that should be watched by every children. Not the best movie by Studio Ghibli, sure; but still one of the best anime movies out there.

Rating: 8.5/10

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Jub3r7

I like all of your reviews, and agree with the anti-climatic feel of Ponyo and how it was still amazing.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 22, 2011, 10:47:54 AMPonyo

I would have done Spirited Away but I believe I must watch it at least once more before I can properly review it. SO instead, it's Ponyo, Ponyo. Tiny little fish. Tiny little fish in the deep blue sea!(That's a reference to the tacky End Credits song)

Now then, to get things started off Ponyo is the story of a brave little boy(Sasuke) who finds a magical little fish girl. The fish girl escaped her father and wants to become a human. Fish girl(Ponyo) and the little boy become best friends and the world goes out of balance and floods and prehistoric fish come back and a whole bunch of other crazy stuff happens.

So first off, Ponyo is not revered as Studio Ghibli's best work and there are some very obvious flaws.

First off, the dialog, at many points, is rather campy and tacky, as seen in many English dubs of anime. But this mainly is a fault of Sasuke's voice actor, who just isn't very good. And unfortunately, he contributes quite a bit of the dialog of the film. But the cast does include a few all-stars such as Tina Fey and Betty White. Unfortunately, these actors don't get very major roles(and I would have loved for Betty White to have more dialog).

Now aside from that, the plot isn't extremely great and though it has some very high points of action(Ponyo running on the waves), the story itself seems very anti-climatic. The whole thing kind of just, well, ends . Sasuke talks to a big fish lady and the world goes back to normal. The End and queue the annoying credits song.

But their are quite a few strong points in the movie as well. For starters the animation is spectacular, as you would expect from Studio Ghibli. The amount of imagination that is poured into  every little detail is amazing.(One of my favorite things being how the waves are fishies) Also, just a the overall charming quality of the movie captivates you, causing you to ignore almost any flaw you may find other wise with the film.

Another very strong point of the movie is the movie's score(see Slow's Review for in detail analysis of the whole thing). The music fits wonderfully into the film and is very well done. Besides the credits song. *shudders*

Overall: Ponyo is a wonderful piece of animation that should be watched by every children. Not the best movie by Studio Ghibli, sure; but still one of the best anime movies out there.

Rating: 8.5/10

Love this. I agree with everything. Lol the weird techno credits song. You can have back the medal you awarded me.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

KefkaticFanatic

Your problem is that you're watching an English dub of an anime.  You're never supposed to watch an English dub.  They are literally always terrible.

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on October 25, 2011, 09:46:38 AMYour problem is that you're watching an English dub of an anime.  You're never supposed to watch an English dub.  They are literally always terrible.

Wrong. Spirited Away + Howl's Moving Castle aren't. Just Ponyo has a couple awful voice actors.

fingerz

So true. The person who did the voice for Ponyo in the Japanese version made her a billion times more cuter than the English one! :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Jub3r7

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on October 25, 2011, 09:46:38 AMYour problem is that you're watching an English dub of an anime.  You're never supposed to watch an English dub.  They are literally always terrible.
That's exactly what all the weeaboos tell me! D:
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

triforced1

SlowPokemon

No, of course not, that comment was just weeaboo-ish. Also, Professor Layton has great English voice actors. :| I'm not going to watch the movie in Japanese.

fingerz

Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

SuperFireKirby

Studio Ghibli normally has exceptional voice actors in the english dubs of their movies. It's the main reason I pointed out the flaws with the voice acting in Ponyo.

Anyways NEW REVIEW.

What time is it?

ADVENTURE TIME!

Created by: Pendleton Ward
Directed by: Larry Leichliter   
Starring: Jeremy Shada - Finn the Human
              John DiMaggio - Jake the Dog

Adventure Time is a cartoon set in the magical post-apocalyptic land of Ooo. It's two main characters are Finn the Human and Jake the Dog. It is a mostly non-linear story, save a few key events in certain episodes that change the show. The show focuses on the wacky adventures Finn and Jake and generally strives to be as bizarre as possible.

First off, the whole concept of Adventure Time is something I can enjoy. The odd artistic style and animation is very different from many cartoons and catches your eye right off the bat. I, personally, am a big fan of it. The odd character and world design and the crazy colorfulness are all very appealing to me. I mean, who doesn't just love this face?

The humor is also very nicely put. Slap-stick comedy and randomness seem to be Adventure Time's preferred methods of bringing forth the lolz. It has a few innuendos every so often but it's nice to take a break from any real raunchiness you find in more "mature" comedies.(Mature being in quotations because shows that are usually considered for mature audiences most often are the least mature in material)

And aside from humor, the show is just plain entertaining. Especially when you take into account the fact that the show is set in a post-apocalyptic world, watching them find bombed out cities and other remnants of a forgotten world can't help but perk your interest. Plus, the faact that's AT is a partial bro-comedy, to me, makes it all the more awesome.

The music ,like in many a cartoon, is forgettable. I would try to describe some of it but I can't remember how any of the tracks go(besides the theme song).

Voice acting is superb. Jeremey Shada does a great job portraying a curious, hyper thirteen year old boy with a love for fighting and adventure. But, as usual, hats go off to Mr. Joe DiMaggio. You may know him as Bender from Futurama. His voice fits perfectly into a blunt, lazy pug with a love for mischief and pranking.

Overall, Adventure time has shown that crazy fantasy and children's comedy cartoon go hand in hand with one another. It may not be for everyone, but seriously, how can you not love this face?

Rating: 9.0/10 

SlowPokemon

Watched Tales from Earthsea, a Studio Ghibli film. Pretty good, but surprisingly violent and grossly, incredibly weird.

My rating: 8.0/10

fingerz

I agree. I thought it was pretty good. Disturbing in some parts though.

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 25, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNo, of course not, that comment was just weeaboo-ish. Also, Professor Layton has great English voice actors. :| I'm not going to watch the movie in Japanese.
Not really.  Dub actors are in most cases inevitably going to be less professional and shitty compared to the original voice actors.  I dunno if this is a problem because I have watched 3-4 animes ever, but if the mouths don't match with the voices that would be annoying also.  Plus they won't fit what the original directors wanted from the voices as well.
All the basic film stuff really.  I also watch other foreign films with subs and in their native language.

me irl
[close]