News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

I feel like college is destroying me.

Started by Master_Z, January 11, 2012, 08:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master_Z

I posted a while back my frustrations with having to take aural theory class. I managed to pull a 'B' in it, but now I'm in another semester. Do you guys hate how repetitive college is too? Working your butt off for finals and doing well, only to have another semester to go? It just seems like it'll never end.

And on top of that, I found out that I can't even be a music major, despite my great grades in theory classes, since the auditions are both required and competitive. They said most people entering the program have played their instrument for 10 years. :(    Now I have to figure out if it's worth transferring to a college where you do not need to audition, or if I should stay here and change majors, effectively killing my dream. Oh, and I just got diagnosed with freaking Asperger's Syndrome. Wish I had known that growing up.

Bespinben

Oh hi Master Z! I haven't seen you on the forums for awhile now :) You might remember me as the guy with the avatar very much like yours, except it being the Poketto Monsuta Green version boxart instead of Red version like yours.

That's all pretty disheartening, if I must say. I wish I had stories of my own to I could share with you so you could have some comfort, but I don't have any.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

spitllama

But there are only 8 semesters! From that viewpoint it ends eventually. And you'll get out of those tough classes in the coming years.

Are you performing with piano? It sucks you couldn't know that restriction on music majors before applying.. can you minor in Music with a major in something similar? Like if you majored in something like "Piano Performance" (that actually exists :P) you'd get off pretty well. It seems like there are lots of ways to get around things.

Sorry things suck bud
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Master_Z

I want to say there are ways around it, but I've tried everything. The music department chair I should major in arts administration, since half of it consists of music history/theory, but what's the point of that degree? I don't want to head a museum. I'm sorry that I tend to mope on here, guys. I wish I could just take a 2-3 year break from college and take professional piano lessons or something, but I have a scholarship. Thanks for the quick replies though!

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: Master_Z on January 11, 2012, 08:17:27 PMThe music department chair I should major in arts administration, since half of it consists of music history/theory, but what's the point of that degree?

It seems a little silly on the outset, but there are jobs around the place (although getting them may require more luck than anything else, and being in the right place at the right time). Are you familiar with orchestral managers? They fall under the arts admin category and that's probably one of the more interesting jobs there. Arts admin can involve organsing music events, helping to run music groups (of any sort), organising music venues or working at conservatoriums either organising ensembles or in the office. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

I understand that's not necessarily what you're looking for but I really don't know what advice I can give you. But arts admin doesn't mean you'll end up running a museum  ;)

MaestroUGC

What is your intended Major; Education, Performance, Technology, Composition, etc?
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Master_Z

Well, it would have to be the general music B.A. since most universities don't have too much specialization (it's normally general/education/performance). Ideally, I'd want composition. I'd like to learn the technical parts in depth (ranges of instruments, writing on the staff, markings, etc.). The biggest issue I run into when I ask different universities is lack of recognition for a lot of modern music. They stop at like 1930's or so. I'm not sure what type of genre anime music falls under (Japanese orchestral pop?), but that's really what I'd like to specialize in. I can listen to Kenji Yamamoto's Dragonball Z Kai score for hours on end without getting tired. It's magnificent (even though he ripped off some of the samples ;) ).

MaestroUGC

Well, all I can offer you is to just keep writing. If you want to go to college for a specific thing, and you are at an institution that doesn't offer it, stop going there. There is no point in wasting the money and energy attending a school that will not benefit you in the end. On the flip side, if you find a school that offers what you want, start talking to the directors, build a rapport with the composition falculty. If you can't enter via an audition, which is something nearly all schools require, practice. Most schools will require you to play an instrument during your education, composition alone will not cut it. Find someone who could teach you to help you improve your art.

Whatever you, just don't give up. Befriend some musicians, ask them to play your music if at all possible, establish contacts and connections that could hel you in the future. If you can somehow get into a school without an instrument, try to get into conducting at least.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Master_Z

Well, I just completed the next couple of theory classes. Aced both. It took a LOT of hard work in aural theory, having to go to tutoring sessions 2-3 times a week to practice solfege, but I did it. However, despite my good grades, I'm still not closer to my goal, in my opinion. I know I don't want to do arts administration. There is room in the classical guitar program since they are still new, and I did take a semester of lessons last year, so that's probably my only shot. I wasted a lot of my summer away since I'm stuck in a home that has family issues and I got diagnosed with something pretty serious, but I think it my work out if I practice hard this last month.

FSM-Reapr

The Sibelius Academy is a bitch!
I'm reading 4000 pages about jazz-culture...

Master_Z

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on July 14, 2012, 02:36:42 PMThe Sibelius Academy is a bitch!
I'm reading 4000 pages about jazz-culture...

Which I still don't know why it's necessary. If I were a Jazz studies major, of course, but for a general music degree, an audition shouldn't even be required. It's essentially segregating the musical community, to the extent that only those who were fortunate to be born into a wealthier family where weekly lessons were mandatory would get accepted into university level music programs. It's stupid.

FSM-Reapr

Well, jazz is one of my so-called majors, and I'm trying to earn Master's degree of it, and then professor title. But yeah... I'm reading the history behind jazz music.

pumpy_heart

Musicians are dreamers. We all are, to the core. Follow your dream and do whatever it takes to make it a reality.
Life is always going to be shit. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. But now you found your passion.
Never let go. It's one hell of a ride.

Congratulations on the A's. You're on your way. Keep it going.

Feel free to drop me a message or email when things get rough.

Olimar12345

As Duke Ellington put it, music is my mistress. We didn't choose music, it chose us.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

spitllama

Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012