News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

Blueflower's Gaming Blog and Reviews

Started by blueflower999, March 27, 2012, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Ace Attorney lists should I do after ranking the cases?

Rank the characters (or top 10/20 characters)
4 (17.4%)
Rank the breakdowns
3 (13%)
Top 10/20 songs
4 (17.4%)
Rank the villains/murderers
1 (4.3%)
Rank the character themes
2 (8.7%)
Don't do another Ace Attorney list
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Wiiplayer26

Great reviews! I'm playing though Mother 3 for the first time right now (I'm on Chapter 7) and I love it! I wish I had played it sooner! I plan on playing both Portal games in the near future (maybe once I beat FE6, which I plan on starting after Mother), too. Too many games!  :P

blueflower999

^Mother 3's a great game. I'm warning you though: Have a handkerchief near you at the end of Chapter 8. If you don't already know what's coming.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Wiiplayer26

It's pretty sad, huh? That's good, I like it when I can get emotionally involved with the characters and the storyline. (And I haven't had any portions of the storyline spoiled yet, so I'm very happy about that!).

blueflower999

The Legend of Zelda:

I made it up to Ganon, and I think that's enough to review it! The Legend of Zelda for the NES:

Gameplay: 8/10 At first, the gameplay is simple. You just walk into the nearest cave, take the sword, and go around beating the crap out of Octoroks, Levers, Tektites, Moblins, or whatever else you happen to find. It starts to get complicated, however, to find out where the heck to go. I admit, I used an online walkthrough. I'm not very good in figuring out where to go in games. But once I knew where to go, it was fun using different weapons, from 3 different sword of increasing power, to a bow and arrow, to a wand, and even a (surprisingly useless) boomerang to kill enemies, I was enjoying myself.

Addictiveness: 7/10 Kept me going until Ganon. Definitely addicting enough for me! I love the feel of going through a dungeon and not knowing what's coming next or what kind of creatures you're going to see. That's one of the reasons I love Pikmin 2 so much, and it was also one of the best parts of this game.

Story: 2/10 Eh, just sort of a generic story. But hey, it was an NES game. At least the other Zelda games have different storylines, (or so I hear. I'm going to play The Adventure of Link next) unlike many other big name Nintendo franchises.

Music: 4/10 The overworld theme was good enough to get on my MP3 and stuck in my head, but other than that, I don't really recall any other catchy tunes. Here are the overworld theme and the intro theme, both of which are just 2 different versions of the same song.
Overworld Theme
[close]
Intro Theme
[close]

Character Design: 2/10 Again, it was an NES game, so there's not a lot of room for improvement here. The Old Man made me laugh, though.

Humor: 4/10 The funniest things in this game were the mistranslated old man one-liners and the bizarre enemy names! Like, what the heck is a Like-Like? A Kesse? A Moblin? If someone could explain the logic behind the enemy names, that would be appreciated!

Difficulty:5/10 For an NES game, it wasn't really that hard. Still a challenge, I have to say, but compared to Battletoads or Contra, it was a cakewalk! There were some REALLY annoying enemies that drove me insane, (Wizzrobes and Darknuts were the WORST) but it had a save feature, so I could always continue from the start of the dungeon. Except it only gives me 3 hearts. What's up with that?! Well, whatever. I beat it, so that shows it's not too hard.

Other Memorable Features: The strange enemy names I mentioned. The cartridge is freakin' gold!

Overall: 8/10 Pretty good game. I was impressed. I'm planning to continue in playing the Zelda series.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Never played it that long because I never had the patience to figure out where to go either! XD

Also, in regards to the music, I have the soundtrack on my iPod, and it's only eight songs. And three or four of them are less than ten seconds. And the overworld and title use the same basic theme. So really there isn't that much diversity, as opposed to that other NES great, Super Mario Bros., which had several distinct, solid, catchy themes. TLOZ only really had the main overworld theme (which is admittedly great, but not a seller on its own).

I will say, Ocarina of Time's soundtrack REALLY made up for this. One of the best, biggest, diverse, catchy, beautiful video game soundtracks ever. Never got past the shadow temple (maybe I should go replay that game) but the soundtrack is brilliant.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

TheZeldaPianist275

Zelda stories pretty much took a huge step after A Link to the Past.  Keep playing blueflower!

And Slow, if you think OoT's soundtrack is good, you should hear Majora's Mask or Spirit Tracks.

SlowPokemon

I love both of those too! :D But for me OOT really stood out. Idk why.

blueflower999

Yeah, I have a Super Nintendo as well, so I might get to A Link to the Past after The Adventure of Link. If I can find it that is. Is it easy to find in stores, or should I order it online?
Bulbear! Blueflower999

blueflower999

10-Yard Fight:

Time for more reviews! This game I have actually beaten, beginning to end. It's a little-known football game on the NES, known as 10-Yard Fight. I hadn't heard of it before: I only got it because it's the first game on the list of NES games alphabetically. However, I was surprised at how good it was considering that I picked virtually a random title and I'm not usually a big fan of sports games. So here it is, my review of 10-Yard Fight.

Gameplay: 7/10 For the NES, a sports game this good is quite amazing. It's simple, yet strangely addicting and satisfying. It plays just like normal football. (Although I never figured out how to kick a field goal...) You choose one of 2 players that it gives you the choice of on defense, and on offense you choose when the hike the ball and who to pass it to. Realistic and fun. Both good things.

Addictiveness: 7/10 It isn't Tetris, but it is certainly addicting. The game has 5 difficulty levels; High School, College, Professional, Playoff, and Superbowl. I beat all 5 on my first try, and wish they had more. Or a sequel.

Story: 1/10 It's a football game. What do you expect? The only story-esque aspect is that you're a football team that makes it to and wins the Superbowl. Nothing special.

Music: 3/10 This game has quite a few catchy jingles, such as the one it plays when you make a first down, or the beat it plays when you're running the ball. Other than short jingles though, there really aren't any full fledged songs in this game. But it makes do without. I have no music to post for this game.

Character Design: 0/10
QuoteIt's a football game. What do you expect?

Humor: 0/10 See above.

Difficulty: 2/10 I didn't lose a single game. In fact, I was only scored on twice, and that was by the playoff and Superbowl teams, which are the 2 hardest difficulties. I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of difficulty increase. But, it was a fun game nonetheless. Probably the easiest NES game I have XD

Other memorable features: I liked the choice of difficulty in the game. That made it more interesting to play. Tackling people is always fun. Occasionally the game glitches and a player goes flying across the field when he makes a tackle. The field has sort of a mini map on the side of the screen with a yellow line for the first down line. It flips depending on which team has the ball, so you're always running the same direction, which helps avoid confusion.

Overall: 6/10 This game showed me that sports games can be fun. I honestly didn't have high expectations, picking a title I've never heard of randomly and all, but considering that, this game blew me away. I'll have to try some other NES sports titles. Any suggestions?
Bulbear! Blueflower999

blueflower999

Super Mario Kart:

Time for a classic Super Nintendo review! Super Mario Kart:

Gameplay: 8/10 I'd say, for the Super Nintendo especially, the gameplay and controls are pretty good. It is very annoying when your kart skids out of control when you turn too sharp, but that's the only thing that really bothers me. There are some turns in the game that I just can't get right without skidding, and it really gets annoying that I can't and the CPUs can easily. But hey, it's infamous for being unfair.

Addictiveness: 7/10 While certainly not the best SNES game I've played, this game ticks you off a lot when you unfairly lose to a cheap CPU, but just enough to make you always go back and give it another go. (Although I have rage-quitted quite a few times.)

Story: 0/10 Nothing.

Music: 5/10 It's decent music. Not the best soundtrack on the SNES, but definitely not the worst either. Bowser's Castle is surprisingly epic, and the original Rainbow Road doesn't disappoint, although it is overshadowed by the 3DS, Wii, N64, and Gamecube counterparts in my mind.

Rainbow Road
[close]
Bowser's Castle
[close]

Character Design: 3/10 Mario and Luigi are clones, and so are a few other characters, but there is some variety, which I appreciate. Bowser and DK are extremely slow, so I usually pick Koopa, who's a lot faster and more agile. But, that's more of their attributes in the game, not the character's personalities.

Humor: 2/10 The only humor this game has is how it seems to laugh at me whenever I loose.

Difficulty: 7/10 This game is proving to be quite a challenge. I haven't even beaten the 100cc level yet, so I can't WAIT for the 150cc. [/sarcasm]

Other memorable features: This game has multiple layouts for the same course, if that makes sense. There are 3 or 4 different ways that Mario Circuit can look, but it's still the same general design and music. The Red Koopa Shell and Lightning Bolt are incredibly useful in this game, almost over powered.

Overall: 8/10 It's a good game, just pretty freaking frustrating. I would recommend it to most, but not if you get ticked off if you can't beat a game. This game takes luck, skill, and practice to be good at. None of which I have.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Super Mario Bros. 3. It's definitely the best of the old-school Mario games.

blueflower999

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 02, 2012, 06:35:33 PMSuper Mario Bros. 3. It's definitely the best of the old-school Mario games.
I feel like such a sinner for having only Super Mario Bros. 2.  :(
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

That game's good but Super Mario Bros. 3 is so much better.

Spyro

Super Mario Bros 3 is great. I'm always stuck on the third world....

FSM-Reapr