News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Ending songs

Started by Bubbles, August 25, 2012, 09:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on August 26, 2012, 07:10:36 PMI can tell the difference between simple and complex time signatures, but what about the individual time signatures themselves?

I don't think I'm understanding your question. I'll try to guess though.

Often times, certain time signatures characterize certain genres of music. In this case, the Ending theme you linked has a kind of "ballad-like" feel to it, from which you might then guess that the time signature is 3/4. In any case though, just try testing various simple meters when listening to a song. If one just doesn't feel right, try another one.

Quote from: Uraziel on August 26, 2012, 07:21:27 PMcouldnt you also put that in 6/8?

6/8 signifies two compound beats per measure, which does not follow the rhythmic stresses heard in the song. The Ending theme is very clearly 3/4. Just listen to the guitar part - you can tell it sounds like 1-&, 2-&, 3-& as opposed to 1-&-a, 2-&-a.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bubbles

I meant that how could you tell the difference between 4/4 and 3/4. But what do you mean by testing different meters?

Bespinben

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on August 26, 2012, 07:31:58 PMI meant that how could you tell the difference between 4/4 and 3/4. But what do you mean by testing different meters?

Meter is just another word that refers to time signature. For example, if I were to say, "The 'Temple of Time' theme from the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time lacks a clear meter," that would mean the song doesn't have a discernable time signature, which is true, especially considering the song is styled after Gregorian plainchant.

So, when I say "test different meters," I'm saying to try counting the song using different time signatures. Try "1, 2, 3, 4" (4/4 time), and if that pattern doesn't fit, try counting "1, 2, 3" (3/4 time).
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bubbles

Ohhh. You know, listening to the song and finding out the time signature BEFORE I write the whole piece out and find that im wrong makes a lot more sense :D

Uraziel

Yeah, ive done that many times when im halfway through a piece and then realise its in 3/4... also done that in the sightreading for an audition :(

Olimar12345

Quote from: Uraziel on August 26, 2012, 07:51:12 PMYeah, ive done that many times when im halfway through a piece and then realise its in 3/4... also done that in the sightreading for an audition :(

...you were playing a piece, not knowing the time? :1
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Uraziel

i was really really nervous so i just didnt notice it lol, it sounded fine to everyone else as i got in but i just didnt know what i was doing

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Uraziel

just... sorry hehe, I promise I'm a pretty good violist! i just wasn't thinking... .-.

SlowPokemon

that's not what I was referring to.

You just replied to a comment that's about a year old xD
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

I have been waiting almost a year to hear back from you. Thank you, so very much.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 24, 2013, 01:18:12 PMI have been waiting almost a year to hear back from you. Thank you, so very much.
The conversation shall finally reach a definitive conclusion!!
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Uraziel

just... sigh... lol i haven't been available is all i can say about that haha