News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Religion

Started by wariopiano, September 05, 2012, 05:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

yeah I'm angry now so I'm just gonna stop talking what the actual fuck what the fuck do you mean you were worried this would happen you can't make a statement like that and not expect someone to call you out on it

But no I'm done I don't want to start a flame war
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dudeman

sorry and i dont blame you
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Altissimo

I suppose I now see why there are not many girls on this site lmao

Sebastian

I don't really see how what Dudeman said was offensive in any way lol

Quote from: Dudeman on August 10, 2015, 06:21:29 PMmen are purposed to be the leaders of society, and women are purposed to be the protectors of society.
Well, yes and no. I don't think women shouldn't be leaders though. I don't mind if we have a woman President or a woman Governor etc.

Sexism is basically that women aren't allowed to do what men can which I think is stupid. Women should be able to do what Men can.....however Men can be better than Women at some things and Women can be better than Men at some things. It's not Women shouldn't be leaders or shouldn't be able to do what Men do but that they probably wouldn't do as good as a job as a man but Men can't do some things as good as a Woman either. So it's not that Women are weaker or inferior to men or vise versa. All Men and Women are equal.
And I think everyone here agrees with me so there should be no problem :P

Dudeman

stahp before this turns into the sexism thread let's get back to does god exist i liked that conversation
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

Quote from: Dudeman on August 10, 2015, 06:35:07 PMstahp before this turns into the sexism thread let's get back to does god exist i liked that conversation
I think you meant to say nurturers of society
unmotivated

SuperFireKirby

For some clarification: The male Judeo-Christian god usually just referred to as "God" stems from the Jewish god Yahweh, who was the national of Israel(the kingdom, not the country). Also, according to the Old Testament there are many gods, but Yahweh commanded that the Israelites worship only him(my Bible knowledge is a bit rusty but its basically that).

Christians interpretted this to mean that there is only one god. But because this God, originally among many gods both male and female, happened to be male(plus, like, patriarchy and shit), it carried over into Christianity.

Everyone be friends pls

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

FireArrow

I'm assuming we're using this definition of faith, correct?

"belief that is not based on proof"

So, if by extension, I choose to only believe things that I have proof of, wouldn't that be the exact opposite. If you claim that denying something beyond the realm of proof is faith, well, guys I have a confession, I'm God. You can't disprove my claim since I can just respond to anything with "I'm omnipotent, I allowed that inconsistency to happen", thus anyone who doesn't believe me is doing so entirely out of faith. In fact, so much so to the point that it could be called it it's own religion. I'll name it "FireArrow is an idiot."

Quote from: Dudeman on August 10, 2015, 06:21:29 PMAnd don't start throwing around feminist stuff at that because women are just as important as men; men are purposed to be the leaders of society, and women are purposed to be the protectors of society.

There is no other reason people think that way other than our society being steeped in patriarchy. Stating things like that as facts is what causes people to throw around "feminist stuff."
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

FireArrow

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 10, 2015, 06:34:25 PMSexism is basically that women aren't allowed to do what men can which I think is stupid. Women should be able to do what Men can.....however Men can be better than Women at some things and Women can be better than Men at some things. It's not Women shouldn't be leaders or shouldn't be able to do what Men do but that they probably wouldn't do as good as a job as a man but Men can't do some things as good as a Woman either. So it's not that Women are weaker or inferior to men or vise versa. All Men and Women are equal.
And I think everyone here agrees with me so there should be no problem :P

You can't take a generalization of a group of people and apply it to an individual. Sure, you can say "Men, on average, can carry larger loads than women." However that statement has absolutely no bearing on day to day life, because given any man, there would be plenty of woman who could carry larger loads. You also run into the problem of conflicting stereotypes. "Blondes are stupid." "People with glasses are smart." What about a blonde with glasses?
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Waddle Bro

Fuck man, everyone is posting so fast. I like this topic, I'm studying ethics and religion as one of my major subjects atm. plus the fact that this topic was made by my favourite member on nsm shoutouts wariopiano :]

response @mlf shitting on Islam
Quote from: mariolegofan on August 10, 2015, 05:06:27 PMWell it's not Allah because the Quran is based off of the Bible. The Bible was written first and not changed.
The Muslims follow the Quran because they believe that Muhammed was the last messenger/prophet of God and that he "corrected" the teachings of the Bible which according to Muhammed had been corrupted by man, and this is a really valid reason to believe in Islam. Things like the gender of God(like SFK just described) show that the bible isn't 100% the word of a god so it can easily be assumed that it was corrupted my mankind. Try not to make the entirety of Islam invalid because of frivolous reasoning like that in the future k thx :]
shoutouts yahoo user bye bye
[close]

ok lemme make this real clear for you all (disclaimer @ the nsm kids, this is most likely a little complicated for you and radically differ from your perspective so don't feel bad if you don't get it at first!!! don't be so quick to judge, you should learn to view things from a neutral and rational perspective and grasp the true meaning of neutral and rational before you could possibly argue "how wrong I am" and universally make sense. You can't argue with a mindset of "i don't know how i know i just know that i know you know?")

Ironically, claiming that a god exists is just as frivolous as denying the existence of a god. Denying the chance of knowledge(and not the higher being itself!) of the existence of a "god" is known as agnosticism, because there is no indication that we could ever confirm the existence of a god and universalize its existence to a fact. However, agnosticism also suffers from the same argument of how you can't know that you can't know, meaning you can't know that you can't know that a god exists or not.
(tl;dr, we don't know if you can or can't know that you can't know that you can or can't know that a higher being exists.)
that is legitimately one of the best sentences i've ever written call me socrates

@Dudeman don't be sexist in the future, there aren't gender roles for what anyone should or shouldn't do -_-

mikey

but but but
men and women are different
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: FireArrow on August 10, 2015, 06:44:32 PMI'm assuming we're using this definition of faith, correct?

"belief that is not based on proof"

So, if by extension, I choose to only believe things that I have proof of, wouldn't that be the exact opposite. If you claim that denying something beyond the realm of proof is faith, well, guys I have a confession, I'm God. You can't disprove my claim since I can just respond to anything with "I'm omnipotent, I allowed that inconsistency to happen", thus anyone who doesn't believe me is doing so entirely out of faith. In fact, so much so to the point that it could be called it it's own religion. I'll name it "FireArrow is an idiot."
The definition of faith I prefer is "belief in what cannot be seen."

mikey

21 And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.
unmotivated

Echo

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 10, 2015, 05:59:26 PMDoesn't it seem weirder that your God only represents one gender tho

I'm not quite sure if a god would have a sex, but I think that His image or form would be closer to a human male, and that's why it's easier to just refer to God as "he." Like, in the book of Genesis it's said that Adam was made in God's image first, and then Eve was made later off of Adam. So just off of that, because Adam was made in God's likeness, God would be closer to a man than a woman (and also why God would be closer to a human than like a giraffe or an owl or something).

There's also another passage of Genesis which talks about this dude named Jacob, who wrestles with this man, and then the crazy plot twist is that the guy Jacob was fighting actually turned out to be God (sorry for the spoilers). So there's an example of God taking a physical form on Earth, and closer resembling a human male than anything else.

So yeah, just easier to identify God as a "he," with maybe language limitations like no proper gender-neutral pronouns.