News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSM-Reapr

Attacking with a signpost is like attacking with a blanket. Take the stick from the signpost and beat them to death with it. Works much better.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on April 03, 2013, 08:01:54 PMAttacking with a signpost is like attacking with a blanket. Take the stick from the signpost and beat them to death with it. Works much better.
Yes, the stick is part of the signpost...
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

vermilionvermin

Quote from: spitllama on April 03, 2013, 07:30:12 PMCalifornia Congresswoman Rep. Jackie Speier CA is trying to get a bill passed that prohibits counseling to change someone's sexual orientation.
Problem? She's including pedophilia as an orientation. And Democrats defeated a proposed amendment that would say that pedophilia isn't included.

Is there another bill or is it SB 1172?  That one was introduced by Jackie Speier but it's talking specifically about children, at which point pedophilia shouldn't be an issue.  I did about 10 minutes of research and couldn't find anything conclusive.

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on April 03, 2013, 08:12:23 PMYes, the stick is part of the signpost...
That's why I said to take it off from one...

spitllama

Nah I'm referring to the same bill. My interpretation is that a teenager can very well be a pedophile and need psychiatric help. The term "pedophilia" doesn't have anything to do with the age of consent since it's a medical and not a legal term.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

SlowPokemon

You can't fix someone's sexual fetishes -.- you just need to make sure they don't act on them if they're of that nature.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

spitllama

A couple students from my college apparently entered a contest, in which they created a video regarding GPA redistribution. The proposal would take points from the top 10% of students, and distribute them to seniors who weren't going to meet the grade requirements for graduation. I'd be interested to hear opinions/rebuttals!

Submissions Page

Mashi

I would disagree with the proposed notion.  GPA isn't something like a tax that the government takes for utilising resources in the country.  Not to mention that GPA isn't like money to be spent; it's a marker of academic success that's important for analysis in college/graduate school applications; a failing doctor can't be allowed to pass simply to be nice.  If we wanted to help those failing, it's probably better to give equal opportunity (eg. review sessions, extra credit assignments, and other things that would be open to everyone) to pass than an easy pass.

In school, for the most part, the playing field is mostly equal; although inequality of opportunity is always present (some parents may be able to afford tutors, some students may be able to afford better study supplies, etc.), such things can't be helped (like how an affluent engineer is much ahead of a new immigrant despite social efforts to create equality of opportunity) and academic intelligence, I feel, is something that mostly requires independent hard work than through social interactions and dependency on circumstances that may be beyond us.  Chances are, if someone has a low GPA, it's not out of inequality of education; people have the same teachers and materials in school, so equality of opportunity certainly at least exists within the parameters of a public school.

Of course, if we were to include other institutions such as private schools and the like, the notion of equal opportunity becomes a bit skewed, but I don't think such things can really be helped.  Not to mention that I feel that intelligence is something worth most when learnt independently, anyhow.  Quite a number of geniuses in the past have come from poor backgrounds, after all (such as Tesla and Faraday, for example).

spitllama

I agree, and so do the creators of the video :D

It's surprising how many people at MSU were all for the idea. What, in someone's head, says it's okay to just take from those who have worked for their GPA to give it to others?
Submissions Page

Ruto

Like Mashi said, tax isn't really the same as a GPA.

There's always going to be complaints about taxes but the fact is, without taxes, everything will be more expensive for everyone. If you go to Switzerland, you'd get the idea. Lowest sales taxes in the European Union but expect to pay at least double for groceries (Friend said half a dozen eggs cost $3?!! Even a basket of basic grocery items cost $50. She ended buying groceries in France to save money and actually be able to afford fish and meat). In Austria, sales tax is nearly double but on average, food costs less than half as much.

It's just wrong to assume taxes go into welfare/useless social programs/disability and then blame people for being lazy. I'm sure a lot of other things wouldn't exist without taxes.

...I'm also using sales tax rates because I can't seem to find the average tax rate.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

spitllama

I'm not even referring to taxes. We could argue about that for days. Just consider the mindset of these students-- that this is okay. It seems like an extremely perverted interpretation of what equality means.
Submissions Page

BonusPwnage

Well, equality is a matter of perspetive. Different people are on different extremes of the spectrum.

Yugi

So Abott is our new prime minister.

Fuck.

Jub3r7

In politics, there are sides to take, but Politicians just choose the one that sounds best to the public.
Actual stated policies and opinions are usually fabricated to appeal to people. Whether or not they actually agree with the policy or even have those opinions is an entirely different matter.

The government needs reform. And the only way that is going to happen is if we destroy the status quo...

*insert dr. horrible song here*
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]