Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

Quote from: blueflower999 on October 19, 2015, 04:21:41 PMWith this in mind we could delete probably over 60% of the posts on this forum and the entire "Off Topic" board
pretty sure 99.9% of them don't make people show their worst side like politics does.

mikey

A few years ago I started getting an idea as to my political viewpoints
I was listening to a lecture blah blah blah and suddenly I thought, "what this person is saying... is just completely wrong."
That's how I learned obama was bad.
unmotivated

Dude

Waddle Bro

Quote from: FireArrow on October 19, 2015, 02:46:26 PMWe're electing people into our office, not ideologies. This is not ad hominem at all, he is not avoiding the point of an argument by attacking the person making the argument, because the argument is "is Bernie Sanders fit to be president."

"He's a senile old man" is an incredibly abrasive and weak argument, but it's not a fallacy.
Ideologies are behind every choice we make.
He was attacking the attributes of the person himself, instead of giving any reasoning as to why exactly he'd be senile. Like Maestro said, opinions don't hold any logical weight, as that'd be an open question. It's still slander nevertheless.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on October 19, 2015, 08:35:46 PMA few years ago I started getting an idea as to my political viewpoints
I was listening to a lecture blah blah blah and suddenly I thought, "what this person is saying... is just completely wrong."
You should read Maestro's latest post on this topic :]

FireArrow

Quote from: Waddle Bro on October 19, 2015, 09:04:05 PMIdeologies are behind every choice we make.
He was attacking the attributes of the person himself, instead of giving any reasoning as to why exactly he'd be senile. Like Maestro said, opinions don't hold any logical weight, as that'd be an open question. It's still slander nevertheless.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how it's any different than us bashing trump or carson. As long as we aren't attacking eachother (which is what this thread quickly devolves into after every blueflower/noc post), there's nothing to get worked up over.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Waddle Bro

I wasn't saying how people trashing Trump or Carson without any basis would be any different from what noc was doing. I don't agree on allowing hypocritical attacking against the attributes of certain people, we should stop all unjustified shitting on anyone. We should strive to be better than people throwing biased insults towards anyone.

mikey

Quote from: Waddle Bro on October 19, 2015, 09:29:12 PMI wasn't saying how people trashing Trump or Carson without any basis would be any different from what noc was doing. I don't agree on allowing hypocritical attacking against the attributes of certain people, we should stop all unjustified shitting on anyone. We should strive to be better than people throwing biased insults towards anyone.
is it still ad hominem to say trump is a turkeyface who can't take anything seriously
unmotivated

Waddle Bro

Unless you can justify that, then yes.

Ruto

1) Advice for being a comedian in political commentary: whatever you make fun of has to be true and logical.
2) Some of you are just being inflammatory. If someone corrects you, getting defensive and throwing another insult is going to result in another argument. Better to save your reputation and said say "oops, corrected" or "I stand corrected."
3) YOU ARE NOT A MARTYR. Being defensive doesn't actually help your cause as much as you think, especially if you're wrong on basic facts. Your ego is worth less than friendship, for example...

I would hold Trump to a different standard because he's also an entertainer. Don't expect people *not* to treat him like the Bieber of finance. I think there's a reason that Republicans get kicked around more, it's because they try to screw over lots people and say things that aren't true, and they should know better.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

EFitTrainr

yeah but why is Donald Trump orange
I like food.

Dude

He's an oompa loompa

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on October 19, 2015, 08:35:46 PMA few years ago I started getting an idea as to my political viewpoints
Quote from: MaestroUGC on October 19, 2015, 03:47:13 PMIf you have nothing of value to contribute to the current conversation, please refrain from posting as you will only dilute whatever the subject at hand is and derail the conversation towards a less constructive direction and will likely agitate those trying to have a serious conversation.

Think before you post, please try to cite your sources, and it is recommended that you if you can't handle a heated conversation then do not chime in.

(. . .)

Also, opinions do not hold any logical weight. Do not expect people to take you seriously if you cannot back up your argument with credible sources. Save parody and satire for elsewhere on the forum.
what is shitpost

Ruto

http://gawker.com/ben-carson-has-plenty-of-energy-once-tried-to-stab-a-g-1738615515

Crazy! In other news, a surgeon is a great career choice for psychopaths who don't end up in jail first. Basically, you get paid for cutting people up. I read that in Scientific American too, about a surgeon who was curious and took a personality test. He found out he was a psychopath.

If anyone is curious, they should take a test. Remember, you can always be a surgeon. Just don't end up in the news first for torturing dogs to death, like Mike Huckabee's son.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Altissimo

[snip]

Pianist Da Sootopolis

On the subject of Ben Carson, here are some interesting lines from an article I read earlier today.
"According to the latest poll from Bloomberg Politics and the Des Moines Register, Carson is ahead of the pack with 28 percent of the vote. But more interesting are the facts behind his rise. Iowans aren't just charmed by his demeanor, his experience, and his inexperience as a politician and policymaker—although that's definitely true—they also support his most controversial, and entirely ludicrous, ideas.

Eighty-five percent of respondents say Carson's lack of experience is mostly or very attractive; 88 percent say the same for his skill as a neurosurgeon, while 49 percent say it's unattractive that he has little experience with foreign policy.

But then it goes off the rails. Two years ago, at the Values Voter Summit, url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2013/10/11/ben-carson-obamacare-worst-thing-since-slavery]Carson said that the Affordable Care Act[/url]—designed to increase health coverage for millions of uninsured Americans—was the "worst thing that has happened in this country since slavery," which trapped millions of people in brutal hereditary bondage for more than two centuries. American slavery was a disgraceful chapter in our history that still shapes the structure of our society. Obamacare, by contrast, has delivered insurance and health services to 17.6 million people.

What do Iowa Republicans think? Eighty-one percent say this makes him a "mostly" or "very" attractive candidate.

Last month, Carson voiced opposition to a hypothetical Muslim president. "I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that," he said. This, despite the Constitution's clear dictate on religious tests—they're verboten. What do Iowa Republicans think? Seventy-seven percent say this makes him a "mostly" or "very" attractive candidate.

Two weeks ago, Carson said that guns—in the hands of German Jews—could have slowed Adolf Hitler and even stopped the Holocaust. "I think the likelihood of Hitler being able to accomplish his goals would have been greatly diminished if the people have been armed," he said.

Historians think this is ludicrous. "I can think of no serious work of scholarship on the Nazi dictatorship or the causes of the Holocaust in which Nazi gun control measures feature as a significant factor," wrote Alan Steinweis for the New York Times.

What do Iowa Republicans think? A whopping 77 percent say that Carson's statement makes him "very" or "mostly" attractive. Overall—presumably based on his beliefs and opinions—96 percent of Iowa Republicans are attracted by "common sense"-based approach to issues. If there's an area where respondents were unhappy, it's with Carson's fetal tissue research as a neurosurgeon. Forty-eight percent find it "mostly" or "very" unattractive."
You can read the rest of the article here.
what is shitpost