News:

You just lost the game.

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

I guess so. I don't see a problem with certain gun control laws such as the requirement of having the proper training and/or getting a background check (which I think is actually a good idea). I just don't want people to have the right of owning a gun taken away :P

FireArrow

Quote from: Sebastian on February 24, 2016, 09:03:39 PMI guess so. I don't see a problem with certain gun control laws such as the requirement of having the proper training and/or getting a background check (which I think is actually a good idea). I just don't want people to have the right of owning a gun taken away :P

Well, I'm not sure what we are debating about in the first place then.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on February 24, 2016, 08:31:24 PMIt makes it more difficult for the average psychopath or petty criminal to acquire weaponry as it isn't so readily available to enter either the legitimate or illegitimate market.  Outlawing guns will not result in random muggers suddenly getting top mafia sources.

I look forward to when the US can join the civilized world and deprecate the irrelevant clause that keeps this problem around.
I somehow doubt that one would need "top mafia sources" to get illegal firearms. If it's in demand, people will always be willing and able to manufacture and distribute it (especially since people don't need assault rifles to commit gun crimes; and especially considering how many guns people already have). It's nice to think that it would be that easy, but given the track record, it wouldn't be.

Quote from: FireArrow on February 24, 2016, 08:33:01 PMThey aren't criminals trained in the black market, they're emotionally distraught teens and young adults who can too easily obtain power.
That logic really stops people from getting, say, drugs.

QuoteWould you support the legalization of poorly controlled chemical weapons for the general public as well? I mean, "bad guys" that know their stuff can already get them, so why not let everyone have it?
Using chemical weapons isn't really an accurate comparison- it's like comparing the legality of fireworks to the legality of bombs.

Quote from: FireArrow on February 24, 2016, 08:57:59 PMI don't think anyone is truly fighting for an outright ban on guns beyond semi-automatic assault weapons.
I thought that was what the problem was in the first place?
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

I don't personally care for guns all that much.  But a lot of people (especially once you come down here in Hickston, Hicksville) love using guns for sport, and I'm willing to accept that.  Imagine if you had to pass a background check to use piano music.  I think that's more accurate of a comparison
unmotivated

Dude

^I can understand like hunting guns but semi-automatic guns??

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 24, 2016, 09:58:25 PMI don't personally care for guns all that much.  But a lot of people (especially once you come down here in Hickston, Hicksville) love using guns for sport, and I'm willing to accept that.  Imagine if you had to pass a background check to use piano music.  I think that's more accurate of a comparison
Now you're making me imagine people strategically dropping pianos on people down on the sidewalks. Tactical piano kill!

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

FireArrow

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on February 24, 2016, 09:37:00 PMI somehow doubt that one would need "top mafia sources" to get illegal firearms. If it's in demand, people will always be willing and able to manufacture and distribute it (especially since people don't need assault rifles to commit gun crimes; and especially considering how many guns people already have).
It's nice to think that it would be that easy, but given the track record, it wouldn't be.

You're under estimating the importance of ease of access. Of course it's not gonna 100% solve the issue, but it'll sure as hell help and is a much better option than sitting around doing nothing because "muh guns."

QuoteThat logic really stops people from getting, say, drugs.

This isn't really comparable. Illicit semi-automatic weapons are only in demand for, ya know, people that wanna kill. Given that the majority of people don't want to do that, the black market for them isn't gonna penetrate into the public sphere nearly as much as drugs have.

QuoteUsing chemical weapons isn't really an accurate comparison- it's like comparing the legality of fireworks to the legality of bombs.

If I were an adult, it would be easier for me to go out and buy a gun then it would be to buy one of those heavy duty industrial fireworks.

QuoteI thought that was what the problem was in the first place?

Ban semiautomatic guns and increase control for other guns (thorough background checks, required classes, tests, etc.) Is that unreasonable?

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 24, 2016, 09:58:25 PMI don't personally care for guns all that much.  But a lot of people (especially once you come down here in Hickston, Hicksville) love using guns for sport, and I'm willing to accept that.  Imagine if you had to pass a background check to use piano music.  I think that's more accurate of a comparison

If finale was a deadly weapon, I would support background checks and training before installing it. I'm not sure how you can even say "Yeah, I think everyone should be able to collect deadly weapons without having to do horribly tedious stuff like get proper training."

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: FireArrow on February 24, 2016, 10:23:41 PMYou're under estimating the importance of ease of access. Of course it's not gonna 100% solve the issue, but it'll sure as hell help and is a much better option than sitting around doing nothing because "muh guns."
The point is that it's not going to stop the people who we need to stop from getting guns- only the people who don't have the motivations, ability, or desire to go through extra lengths.

QuoteThis isn't really comparable. Illicit semi-automatic weapons are only in demand for, ya know, people that wanna kill. Given that the majority of people don't want to do that, the black market for them isn't gonna penetrate into the public sphere nearly as much as drugs have.
Or, anybody who currently owns guns, simply want to own guns- people who feel that their rights are being infringed upon- or any criminal- who probably don't care about the legality of their actions. If somebody wants to rob a bank, they're already doing planning on doing something illegal; chances are, they either already have a gun or won't be bothered by going through an extra step to get one.

QuoteIf I were an adult, it would be easier for me to go out and buy a gun then it would be to buy one of those heavy duty industrial fireworks.
Really? Fireworks in general (not referring specifically to industrial strength ones, as that wouldn't be as accurate of a comparison) are much, much easier to obtain, especially around major events (like the 4th of July, and especially when compared to bombs, as you compared guns to chemical weapons, remember). And, guess what? People always use them in areas where it's illegal to, and nobody stops them!

QuoteBan semiautomatic guns and increase control for other guns (thorough background checks, required classes, tests, etc.) Is that unreasonable?
Not at all. A complete ban of all guns is (which is what Kefka, for example, seemed to be suggesting; he used the phrase "Outlawing guns" without specifying).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

FireArrow

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on February 24, 2016, 10:52:02 PMReally? Fireworks in general (not referring specifically to industrial strength ones, as that wouldn't be as accurate of a comparison) are much, much easier to obtain, especially around major events (like the 4th of July, and especially when compared to bombs, as you compared guns to chemical weapons, remember). And, guess what? People always use them in areas where it's illegal to, and nobody stops them!

Well if we're talking about the wimpy little ones then your comparison isn't too valid anyways. Chemical weapons and bombs are comparable, firearms however are much closer to the former two than tiny fireworks.

QuoteNot at all. A complete ban of all guns is (which is what Kefka, for example, seemed to be suggesting; he used the phrase "Outlawing guns" without specifying).

Your quarrel isn't with me then. I have nothing against outright banning guns, but I think it's unnecessary and given American ideals I'd much rather explore less dramatic solutions first.

mikey

Firework laws vary from state to state.  So do gun laws.  In Minnesota you just had to be 18 with a driver's license to buy a rifle or shotgun from Walmart.  Out here in Utah you need to prove that you're trained in gun safety.
unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 24, 2016, 11:38:34 PMFirework laws vary from state to state.  So do gun laws.  In Minnesota you just had to be 18 with a driver's license to buy a rifle or shotgun from Walmart.  Out here in Utah you need to prove that you're trained in gun safety.

wtf you can buy guns at walmart?

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: FireArrow on February 24, 2016, 11:35:27 PMWell if we're talking about the wimpy little ones then your comparison isn't too valid anyways. Chemical weapons and bombs are comparable, firearms however are much closer to the former two than tiny fireworks.
Most fireworks aren't "wimpy" by any means. Not only can people injure themselves if they don't know how to use them (you can injure yourself with a sparkler, so imagine the possibilities...), but they can also light fires if you're not careful (which is kind of a given). The availability of fireworks is also a hotly contested issue.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dude

Those snake things are wimpy

Unless it's like giant or something.

E. Gadd Industries

You know what I find unsettling about Trump? The fact that he said approx. 2 years ago that "Republicans are so gullible, I could run as the republican candidate, and I'd win!"
Hmm... That seems dangerous.  :o
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Altissimo

THAT'S what you find unsettling about him?